advertisement

Which (if any) of your components are ‘end game’

Which (if any) of your components are endgame?

• Speakers

Votes: 167 59.2%
  • Power amp

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Pre amp

Votes: 83 29.4%
  • Integrated amp

Votes: 55 19.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 132 46.8%
  • Phono stage

Votes: 68 24.1%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DAC

Votes: 56 19.9%
  • Streamer

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • CD

Votes: 61 21.6%

• Total voters
Good Morning All,

Although I'm not actually quite there yet but the modified Isoabriks driven by SE amplification with the Klimax streamer source are likely to be the end game.

Regards

Richard

I voted for not changing my TT, though it is becoming a model of Trigger's broom.

For me, I have hifi kit that I won't sell, but may not be in use all the time as an end game.

I really have no concept of what an 'end game' system would be for me and genuinely haven't ever really given it much thought. I like what I have but I'm not emotionally attached to any of it.

I suppose actually, my main system itself is my end game. I have had it almost five years now, and no desire to change anything on it at all, it makes me smile every time I sit down to listen to it. To be fair, I did change one thing about a year ago, my Innuos decided to give up the ghost, and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it, and replaced it with a Lindemann Limetree Bridge 2, and it has just stayed that way.

Every now and then I may get an "itch" to do something, but in the end, it wouldn't necessarily be a better thing, but probably just different, so why bother? I am also fortunate enough to have a few extras laying around in which to change things up every now and then if I truly get bored(?). And out of all of the other stuff, the thing that makes me really smile is my old Naim Uniti1, it is such a fine piece, the swiss army knife of hifi, love it!

Guess I should try to fix my Innuos at some point, or not. :)

So you won’t ever change any part of your system?

Probably not. I can't find the DAC I want as it's rare as hen's teeth. So I'm perfectly happy.
That's not a bad thing is it. End of the road and all that.

Nice to be out of the upgrade race tbh

For me, I have hifi kit that I won't sell, but may not be in use all the time as an end game.
I have a lot of kit I really like, not worth much second hand since either very cheap in the first place or not coveted brands. It’s going nowhere whether in use or not. Give me a dCS Bartok and I’d have a lot more in this category.

As far as my main system goes, I can't see me ever wanting to replace my speakers, preamp, turntable or arm (no option for arm!).

I love the cartridge, but would consider an upgrade if £7,495 fell into my lap. Equally, the phono stage is brilliant, but I do still have my end-game phono stage on my "one day" list.

As to the CD player, I'm more than happy for it to see me out, unless a Marantz CD12/DA12 comes up at a low price. This would be a long way down the priority list, however.

I think we need another thread, or can I ask people to list their endgame equipment if they post please.

My LP12 has served me since 1987 and hasn’t changed other than rotating Troika, Klyde and Asaka rebuilds and new belt since 2014 when I added a solid baseboard and cones.

Exposure 13, 19 and 18S since 1999.

Mana phase 4 5 tier amp stand and wall shelf since 1999.

Tannoy System 1000 and DMT 15’s since 2008.

ATC SCM-7’s since 2003.

Sonos Amps since 2019.

All endgame if I should be so lucky to live out my life in the same home.

I think we need another thread, or can I ask people to list their endgame equipment if they post please.

Oops, sorry!

The end-game stuff:

Turntable - Nakamichi TX-1000
Arm - SME V
Preamp - Yamaha CX-10000
Speakers - B&O Beolab 90

The 'possibly up for grabs' stuff:

Cartridge - Ortofon Cadenza Black (but only for an Ortofon MC Diamond)
Phono Stage - Anatek MCR (but only for a Yamaha HX-10000)
CD Player - Marantz CD94/CDA94 (for a CD12/DA12 as above, or maybe a Yamaha CDX-10000 or GT-CD1...)

Main parts are all Meridian, G68AVX front end, DSP5000 and DSP5000C
Technics SP10 mkII, Audio Technics AT1010, ATOC9, ifi Zen Phono,
RPI streamer.

The list...

Turntable...built it myself...Panzerholz plinth, fully maglev bearing , diy Meldrano speed controller ....
Arm ..... built it myself...it's a Shröeder Reference clone.
Cartridge ...Audio Technica AT33PTG/II....don't think that I am up to building cartridges.
Phono stage ...diy three box Paradise.
Amps...built them myself... Avondale based mono's
Speakers Built them myself although they are ATC SMC50's using all the correct drivers and the correct ATC built crossovers.

CD player ...Linn Karik.....love Kariks...I have a spare one put away just in case.
Pre amp...Linn Kairn...it does everything that I want a pre to do. ( Might have to buy another one to put away..just in case )

Not likely to change anything - will instead continue the search for new and interesting music worldwide - absolutely no Dire Straits or Pink Floyd, thank you. My hifi (and I have at least four systems of varying second-hand quality most of which are between 20 and 50 years old) is just a means to hear the music, not the electronics. Big waste of money otherwise, and no-one else in my household gives a monkey about it. I spend most of my time listening through headphones, just as my kids do, just without the heavy bass.
But as a cyclist who has toured extensively in many parts of the world for decades, and is still going strong, building and riding bikes - of which I have many - is an on-going hobby that will die with me. The hifi? probably end up in an Auction House, Charity shop, or local dump. Will I care?

Most of my system is what I would describe as 'end game'. The only kit I can reasonably see myself having to change is my streamer when/if the Lumin D1 I use becomes obsolete. My amps (Pass Labs XP20 and XA100.5 monoblocks), T/T (SME 20/2), phono stage and SUT (Allnic HS1500 II SE and AN(J) S6c), DAC (Aesthetix Pandora) and speakers (ART Alnico 8) are all performing superbly so replacement is unlikely unless something suffers a catastrophic failure that can't be repaired.

I guess “end-game” for an individual has to do with listening habits, including format, size of collection, realistic budget, space and so on. So, for example, my bedroom system of iMac, RME ADI2, Temple Audio monoblocks and Audio Note AX2s is very much end-game for me.

I am prone to change things is the main system but the speakers - Zu Druid Mk4/08 (just work to my ears in this room), phono stage - Bigbottle BB3, preamp - top spec Khozmo dual mono passive, and power amp - Leak ST20, can all stay for good. See no reason either to change the backup/casual listening Genelec 8030Cs.

So, only my sources could or ever need to improve for me but we’re talking thousands I don’t have to do it. In my mind I know what I’d get though: Technics SL1000R, CEC Transport and a dCS Bartok with the headphone bit.

advertisement

Back