advertisement

Which component has the biggest effect on the sound?

Source-first is "obviously true" since it is a limitation on everything that follows.

Speakers is "obviously true" since they add more distortion than anything else in the chain.

Room effects are huge but you have to listen somewhere. Maybe you could argue for "room treatments" about which we hear too little IMO.

Tim

Simplified, digital system it's source last and with Analogue systems, still source first.

The least expensive component in any all encompassing system should be the digital source based on my own experiences over the years - the most expensive will depend on the room.

Which component has the biggest effect on the sound?

Perhaps the any in the signal path which are subjected to high delta I or V

Simplified, digital system it's source last and with Analogue systems, still source first.

The least expensive component in any all encompassing system should be the digital source based on my own experiences over the years - the most expensive will depend on the room.

I agree with Merlin.

I would then put speakers as a little more influential than amps. Finally, cables are the least influential part of the system.

USB cables, definitely without a shadow of a doubt...

I find that USB 3.0 cables tend to be a little over-revealing and prefer using USB 2.0 cable instead... With just one little coil at each end and taped together, as the little shake the hits get doing the loop-de-loop helps align the zeroes and ones as they exit the plug and go into the magic socket. Black USB is darker sounding than a grey so sometimes a black USB 3 cable is a good try, but grey USB 2.0 is not to be sniffed at either, detailed but less revealing, it's all down to how fast or slow the cable is able to convey the tune.

I also find self printed stickers adhered to a 'fast' cable saying "slow down dude" can sort out all sorts of subtle timing issues, but the better ones are stickers that cost money that you give to someone else to print for you.

Best of all are Pony stickers, these fix any problem and I ensure I have plenty on hand.

Digital is a minefield.

The SAUCE!!!

But I want PROOF!!! Where's the PROOF???

Bacardi 151% proof!!! Satisfied now???

End of taking the p*ss...

#1: The room/speaker combination (difficult to decouple these)
#2: The turntable/arm/cartridge in a vinyl based system
#3: The amplification
#4: The CDP or CDT/DAC combo (or streamer) in a digital source system
#5: The wires

Of course, while not exactly a "component" per se, the quality of the recording and of the performance as provided on the source material are also significant and have a major impact on the enjoyment of the experience.

BTW, one major caveat:

The ranking of components in the order of their impact on the 'sound' of a system SHOULD NOT BE USED AS THE SEQUENCE OF SELECTION FOR A NEW SYSTEM.

When selecting components in order to build an audio system, the process should start at that end of the chain that interfaces with a fixed and given factor - the room - and these items are the loudspeakers.

So first select the correct loudspeakers for your given room, then move back one step up the chain to the amplification. If using separate pre/power combo, select the power amp(s) first for compatibility with the speakers just chosen, then select a pre-amp that is a good match for the power amp(s) and also provides for the required source component mix.

Source selection next - as you're unlikely to use more than one of these at any given instant, these can be selected in parallel.

Finally, select cables that provide the optimum balance in final output sound.

This has worked for me on more than one occasion (and also for some others I've assisted in the process).

The house and garden and neighbours are most important. Putting a world class system in an acoustically excellent room in a modern thin walled apartment with intolerant neighbours is a recipe for masochism. Putting an acceptable budget system in a large isolated detached house is a recipe for smiles all round.

The record, get a good one is it, obviously not Prog Rock or Country & Western there.

DS

Room and speakers.
Keith.

Completely agree its the speakers and the room.

Once you get this right, and then marry the speakers to amp that just "works" then cables, then you can almost chuck in any source component depending on your taste (whether analogue or digital) IME.

Right, who was led down the garden path with the source first bu******?

I'll go first, I was up until about a year or so ago, when an £80.00 SH CDP could hold its own against an Isis.

The annoying and persistent whine from the wife that I should be joining her to watch re-runs of Rosemary & Thyme, when I'd much rather be listening to music. In fact, I'd probably prefer drinking a pint of weed-killer than watching Rosemary & Thyme, despite the inherent GILFiness of Felicity Kendal.

After that, alcohol. Then the quality of the recording.

After that, everything is about the same. It's a jigsaw puzzle. Insert the wrong piece and suddenly the Mona Lisa has the Hay Wain for a nose.

I've heard massively unbalanced systems and they all sound massively unbalanced. It might take time to hear just how unbalanced they are, but ultimately they are directed at proving a point rather than making a good sound.

Someone spending £10,000 on a CD player, £1,000 on an amp and £100 on a pair of speakers is making a sound so bent out of shape as to make you think there's someone delusional at the helm. But, so is someone using a £100 CD player with a £1,000 amp and a pair of £10,000 loudspeakers.

Balance is in order. Not making sure that every component cost exactly the same, but ensuring the whole thing works well, without some kind of idiotic wallet-busting spendthrift drive or equally idiotic more-skinflint-than-thou ideology driving your choices.

But mostly booze.

BTW, one major caveat:

The ranking of components in the order of their impact on the 'sound' of a system SHOULD NOT BE USED AS THE SEQUENCE OF SELECTION FOR A NEW SYSTEM.

When selecting components in order to build an audio system, the process should start at that end of the chain that interfaces with a fixed and given factor - the room - and these items are the loudspeakers.

So first select the correct loudspeakers for your given room, then move back one step up the chain to the amplification. If using separate pre/power combo, select the power amp(s) first for compatibility with the speakers just chosen, then select a pre-amp that is a good match for the power amp(s) and also provides for the required source component mix.

Source selection next - as you're unlikely to use more than one of these at any given instant, these can be selected in parallel.

Finally, select cables that provide the optimum balance in final output sound.

This has worked for me on more than one occasion (and also for some others I've assisted in the process).

I heartily endorse this event or product.

Room and 'speakers in the vast majority of cases.

But there is some truth in the garbage in garbage out maxim.
Not usually a consideration with digital sources but it's quite possible to get very poor sound from vinyl, and also possible to pair completely inappropriate amplifiers and loudspeakers.

advertisement

Back