advertisement

When Jazz Met Electronics

More ECM-like, I’ve recently enjoyed both Bremer/McCoy and Svaneborg Kardyb.

The Bob James Trio album, "Explosions" is another that springs to mind, although it is more about juxtaposing Musique Concrete with jazz. But it works for me.

That's a new one on me. I'll admit, I hadn't previously associated Bob 'Taxi Theme' James with Musique Concrete...

That's a new one on me. I'll admit, I hadn't previously associated Bob 'Taxi Theme' James with Musique Concrete...

Bob James’s Explosions is excellent, and admittedly an oddity in his output. Maybe he realised early on that music like this on ESP wasn’t going to earn him too much money. Another ESP hidden gem is Lowell Davidson’s Trio album - although it’s all acoustic and nothing to do with the thread. (The early 90s CDs of both James and Davidson sound excellent, superior to many poorly pressed ESP LPs I’ve encountered).

Not so experimental, but still in the 70s jazz/synth vein, are Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Lifeline, Horace Silver - Total Response, Cannonball Adderly - Pyramid, Eddie Henderson - Sunburst, Larry Young - Lawrence of Newark.

A couple of titles I’m not too familiar with in your list, soon to be fixed. Eddie Henderson’s early titles are excellent.

Amazing how no one (including myself!) has mentioned Weather Report.

I meant to mention them in my original post.

Zawinul's synths practically dominate everything. I prefer their earlier albums i.e. those with Vitous rather than Pastorius.

Ditto. The one's that fit the mould of what I was trying to describe would be stuff on "I Sing the Body Electric" and "Mysterious Traveller" - the later 'electronic big band' sound is OK, but was just using keyboards to ape acoustic elements of more traditional jazz (IMHO).

Amazing how no one (including myself!) has mentioned Weather Report. Zawinul's synths practically dominate everything. I prefer their earlier albums i.e. those with Vitous rather than Pastorius.

I really need to dive into Weather Report, it's something I've always avoided for some reason. Tidal here we come.

Just to point out that the Rahsaan Roland Kirk in the OP isnt using electronics - he often plays 2 or 3 saxes at the same time.

Colin Stetson would be in a similar vein to John Surman perhaps without the 'jazz' credentials - check out 'All This I Do for Glory' (2017)

Modern day saxes plus synths then look no further than 'Comet Is Coming' (new album on the way) or Soccer96

Just to point out that the Rahsaan Roland Kirk in the OP isnt using electronics -

You're quite right. In "Slippery..." all he uses is musique concrete; tapes and amplifiers.

The track I was thinking of was the end of "Ri[p Rig and Panic" where he coaxes some very loud noise out of some electronics (an amp).

"The ending was done with an amplifier; I can shake it in a certain way to get those sounds. It was inspired by the music of Edgar Varese."

Modern day saxes plus synths then look no further than 'Comet Is Coming' (new album on the way) or Soccer96

Doh I'd forgotten about the Comet is Coming.

And of course Moses Boyd does lots of laptop-y things - though I'm not sure if it's always jazz.

(I'm going to get 'yes, but is it jazz...?' printed on a t-shirt one day)

advertisement

Back