advertisement

When Jazz Met Electronics

Just discovered this artist - Antione Berjeaut. This track is from an album called Chromesthesia.

Agree. I had most of the WR albums then managed to snag a copy of Live in Tokyo. I didn't realize that WR could sound like this, really a continuation of Miles' In a Silent Way. Same reason why I really like the debut album too. I don't understand why many (including the Penguin guide) consider the later albums to be superior. Those albums became more arranged, less improvised and was heavily dominated by Zawinul's synths to the detriment of Shorter's reeds.

Terry Riley loops Chet Baker - Music from The Gift (best listened to in its entirety, here is one section):

Dare I instill Pat Metheny (and Lyle Mays!) into this. Pat has played synth-guitar for ages and Lyle uses several keys.
There's even 'Song X' for the avantgarde fans!
But it really has a bit of S-American timbre (Milton Nascimento?) to it at times.

I reckon Weather Report's best album (by some distance) is Sweetnighter

Truly fabulous. For me, the latter stuff was spoilt by Zawinul's often rather naff and dated keyboard sounds. I think he ended up with too many keyboards than was healthy...

... too many keyboards than was healthy...

Never.

JMJ_pics_02-GDXF74dIBOLB1j6xv0t6vEB6bxmSG3KH.jpg

I reckon Weather Report's best album (by some distance) is Sweetnighter

Truly fabulous. For me, the latter stuff was spoilt by Zawinul's often rather naff and dated keyboard sounds. I think he ended up with too many keyboards than was healthy...

Totally. Always dismissed them on the basis of borrowing Heavy Weather off someone at school, then I got round to getting their early albums about 20 years ago.

Sweetnighter's their last album I can listen to.

Totally. Always dismissed them on the basis of borrowing Heavy Weather off someone at school, then I got round to getting their early albums about 20 years ago.

Sweetnighter's their last album I can listen to.

I would go later than that and say this was their last truly great album.

I enjoy the later stuff too. Plenty of enjoyable tracks, if a bit naff at times.

Ayumi Ishito- the spacemen volume 1. ( New York based, very young, with added theramin.)or totally out there with strings instead of synths.- Alice Coltrane, World galaxy.

advertisement

Back