advertisement

When is a DAC old?

I decided my Chord DAC64 mk2 was too old when I started lusting after downloads it was never designed to handle.

I compared a Topping E50 against my 10 year old Beresford Bushmaster DAC and heard absolutely no difference using PCM or Redbook. Didn’t try higher res but I don’t think it would make any difference. Maybe I’m deaf or my system has not enough definition but I’m starting to believe that with PCM all DACs will sound about the same unless they are broken or add distortion of some sort.

I think he means the earlier TDA1540 used in the first gen Philips machines amongst others.

They tried to emulate 16 bit using a 14 bit chip!

Awesomeness.

I think he means the earlier TDA1540 used in the first gen Philips machines amongst others.

They tried to emulate 16 bit using a 14 bit chip!

Awesomeness.

You do realise that basic approach, taken to extremes, is how (first, 'Bitstream' , and now, on the exact same basis, with very few wrinkles - the swap of simpler dac segmentation & therefore implementation for just .. higher sampling speed ) newer 1-5 segmented bit architectures work? It's entirely true to describe the best of modern dacs in just the same terms, viz:

They emulate a 20-24-bit Dac output using a 1-4bit chip!
Awesomeness.

- oh: and, yes, it works.
But then, it always did.

Still using my Micromega Duo BS - 30 years plus but still good, and none of the components have "worn out". It's more likely my ears that are worn out, not the DAC. In fact, I only use it because It cost me a lot of money, otherwise I wouldn't bother with any dac - who uses one, new or old, with their turntable?
If you want perfection - good luck, it'll likely take you on a never-ending money-draining mystery tour. Music (especially for musicians) first, everything else is just a compromise!

I’ll take your Duo BS and raise it to an earlier half-shoebox Micromega Duo, TDA1541 French goodness :) My 2nd favourite is of equal vintage, a Camelot Arthur. I have recently purchased an AYA 5 to slowly DIY, but so far nothing I have tried against these older DACs comes anywhere close. I only use it for TV and streaming radio from a Pi4 with digi hat, but I listen to a lot of radio, and Paradise actually images :)

Benchmark DACs get old as soon as they bring out a new one.

So far I've always found the new one to be better but they only seem to come along about once every seven years.

advertisement

Back