advertisement

When is a DAC old?

I still have a v1 young dac in system, tried several better measuring chinese dacs. Different sounds, some bits better some bits worse but i prefer the Young so it is still in system

A DAC is old when a new chip arrives so about every 6 months.......
But a DAC is outclassed when you find a new one you can listen to 8 hours in a row without any listener fatigue and stop shopping for something else different but not necessarily better.

One of the biggest improvements to DAC design was going to a discrete R2R design...

Making the DAC unnecessarily expensive and complex for identical technical performance can hardly be seen as an improvements, but it's an attractive topology in terms of pride-of-ownership, a bit like a mechanical watch.

My 18-bit AD1865-based DAC dates from 1999, and displaced a five year old 24-bit model that is still current in its manufacturer's range.

I find differences from DAC-DAC are usually small and subtle (unless wilfully tweaked to stand-out), but those small differences can really nag and annoy when listened to over prolonged periods. A quick A/B just doesn't highlight it when it's so qualitative and subjective.

My 18-bit AD1865-based DAC dates from 1999, and displaced a five year old 24-bit model that is still current in its manufacturer's range.

I find differences from DAC-DAC are usually small and subtle (unless wilfully tweaked to stand-out), but those small differences can really nag and annoy when listened to over prolonged periods. A quick A/B just doesn't highlight it when it's so qualitative and subjective.
It took me a few days if not a few weeks to realize the ESS pro DAC was getting on my nerves compared to an AK4497 DAC ! I kept the AK.

The newer DAC chips are generally smaller, easier to make, as well as cheaper and generally not better than the model that went before...

advertisement

Back