advertisement

When I joined I had... and now ...

When I joined: original Rega P9, RB900, DV XX-1L, Naim S phono cards, CD2, 102, Hi-Cap, 250, Sorcerers, no cans on any sort, home-brew wooden stands with a sprinkling of Mana

Now: original Rega P9, RB900, DV XX-2 Mk II, Rega Ios, CD2, Manley Stingray, Tannoys rectangular GRFs, Tannoy supertweeters (thrown in with GRFs, not bought), Graham Slee headphone amp, Senn HD800s, home-brew wooden stands with a sprinkling of Mana

The bolded words are the bits and bobs that haven't changed in more than 11 years, and to be honest if the Sorcerers had worked well in the house we bought I probably wouldn't have been tempted to try different speakers. But I have no regrets with the Tannoys, which are more than 55 years old and sound better than most new speakers I've heard.

I'm still mostly a flat earth traveller, but have realized there are other ways to traverse flatland.

Joe

When I joined (I think!): Rega P9/RB900/DV 17D2/Stageline/Naim CDX2/202/200/Hicap/Naim Allaes

Now, after climbing the Linn/Naim ladder for a long time, ending in a Klimax DS and 252/300 with Kudos speakers, things are changing somewhat!

The only thing I am really keeping is the LP12 which replaced the P9 in 2009 - it is a Radikal/Keel/Aro/Urika/DVXX2MkII spec unit.

The DS and Naim stack has just been replaced by a Devialet 170 and the speakers will be the final piece, probably Sonus Fabers. The Dev really is an amazing thing, absolutely astonishing value. Running from a touchscreen Win 8 PC with Qobuz, Spotify + my own FLAC library using AIR, USB whatever.....the best I have ever heard and a huge range of music 'on tap'. And the old fruitbox sounds fantastic through the line inputs.

advertisement

Back