advertisement

When I joined I had... and now ...

That was then:

Roksan Xerxes/SME IV/DV20XH, Arcam Alpha 5 (modded), Densen DM20/DM30, Linn Saras. Chord/NACA5.

And this is now:

Pioneer PL71(rewired)/DV20XH, Moon 110LP, Harman Kardon HD 7635, HK TU7600, Exposure Super XX, Peerless/LPG 2-way standmounts. Mogami/Cable Talk 3.

Remarkably, the DV20XH is still hanging in there.

Then: Airport Express, Denon UDRA-F10, Electrovoice S-40
Now: Airport Express, Arcam irDac, Arcam FMJ A19, Kef R100—plus cables, stands, carpet…

But I didn't join so long ago and have already passed by a few unstable, intermediate systems… :D

2004:...Orbe/SMEV/Lyra Helikon + old 2 box Meridian CDP + Naim 52 + 135s + 01 + ProAc Response 4s + one dedicated radial/c.u.

2014:...N.A. Dais/12" Ace Anna/Urushi Vermillion + Lector valved CDP + Naim 552 + E.A.R. 509 valves monoblocs + 01 + Quad 2905 electrostatics + eight dedicated radials (1 for each piece of kit) and c.u.

Gosh ! The only survivor is the Nat 01.:eek: and I'm definitely NOT a box-swapper !

Pretty mundane thread, listing kit, but a brilliant wake-up call for self realisation.

When I joined I had a lot of stuff. Power supplies mostly. The more the merrier. in the days of arms war Jenga-Fi it was Various Green lit boxes, an LP12 and quite a lot of attitude (oh don't frown like that, we all had attitude! We thought we had all the answers as early scouts for the the post Julian Naim forum diaspora)

Now I have less stuff but a nice big room, still a bit of attitude, ok a lot of 'tude but it concerns ponies...

...on balance? I reckon... about the same, possibly I am a teensy bit ahead or a bit behind depending on your view of owning things manifestly physical.

Forgot to say,

When I joined / 10 years ago all hifi / AV was squashed into the living room = unhappy wife.

Now the hifi is in a dedicated music room extension. The living room is subsequently uncluttered = happy wife and happy hifi'er.

+1 for me also :D

Alan

Looking at the date I joined I think I then had a Rega p3-2000 with Bias 2, Arcam Diva CD192, Rotel RC-06 and 2xRB-06 into B&W 603s3.

Now I have LP12/Lingo/Akito/Trampolin with an Ortofon 2M Red into a Stageline (on powered pre input), CD5x powered by Flatcap2x, NAC112 powered by same, NAP150 and Rega Ela. Oh, and a completely different room having moved house!

2006:
LP12/ARO/Lyra Lydian Beta/Prefix K/DIY HiCap : Naim CDS : NAC82 and 2x DIY HiCap : CB NAP250 : Quad ESL57 : Linn Sizmik Sub

2014:
LP12/ARO/ESCO-Zu-Denon DL103/Prefix K/DIY HiCap : CommunitySqueeze Wandboard Streamer : Battery PSU : Audiolab-Lakewest MDAC L2 "Toy" : EAR890 : Martin Logan Summits

Quite a journey!

Had: LP12/TAPS/ARO/Troika/Mana, Micromega Drive/Dac, Pioneer CT91a, Naim 72/HiCap/250 & Ruark Talismans.

Now: LP12/TAPS/Aro/33ptg (in cupboard), Weiss Dac202, Zap250, Shahinian Obelisks, Event Opals and a SBT.

In summary then, PFM destroys your marriage, your bank balance and your social life and may not even improve your enjoyment of music. Oh and Shahinian's are popular.;)

July 2003 (I think): Linn LP12/Basik/DL110 on Mana, Avondale MF The Pre-Amp, Naim IXOS, 2 x Arcam 290P; crossoverless active Tukans/Kan 2 Stands
Now: Transcriptors Saturn/DL160/640P, Panasonic BDT500, passive stepped attenuator, Cymbol CPA3, Decware ERR: and upstairs, a windows computer, Peachtree Decco2, Shahinian Super Elf

My current philosophy is to get the best speaker for your room and tastes, then with the most transparent pre you can afford, get an electrically compatible power amp.

In 2003, I had Naim. It's all a bit blurry with box-swapping happening at a frantic rate, but that'll be around the time I had LP12/ARO/Geddon/Prefix/CDS2/52/135s. That'll also be around the time I built the E-IIIs loudspeakers.

Today, things are quite a bit simpler. The front and back-ends are mostly the same. The LP12/ARO/Geddon (sans Prefix) has been improved by TP Khan and GS Sub. The E-III is now E-IIIR with a better midrange driver. The biggest change is the electronics and listening room. CD replay is via Densen B-400XS and amplification is by vintage Pioneer C-21/M-22. It's amazing what a properly constructed room does to the listening experience. It's my biggest upgrade ever.

I really need to decide if I should sell the redundant Densen B-200/250/340/350s or hoard them just in case.

I had a job but am now a student.

You win as you have time on your side.

Good luck with your studies and hope the future is bright for you. Me? I'm now out of the rat race and its a great place to be. I didn't think it would be but I'm really enjoying not being pressured to meet impossible time scales. Oh we did as in "We do the impossible immediately but the improbable takes a little longer" year after year after.........

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back