advertisement

When Did You Last Get Food Poisoning?

It could also be an allergy. 'Fish' rather than 'cod' fingers may contain any number of different things from the sea. I thought that I had a cast iron constitution and could eat and drink anything. Then my wife and I and a whole coach load of us went to a famous fish resturant in Hyannis. We all had the same 'signature' meal mixed types of fish and shellfish deep fried in batter. About 20 minutes later on the coach I told my wife that I thought I was getting travel sickness and 10 mins later as we stepped off the coach in Provincetown I threw up into the bushes. We spent all our time in toilets and when those closed went to a gay bar who were very helpful. It was the gay barman who said the magic word 'clams'. He also gave me a free coke.

Years later in Disneyland Paris I had some kebab skewers in Cafe Mickey and yep there were just two clams. I spent all night in the toilet and had to stay in bed next day and miss the trip and tour of Paris that we had booked.

So clams are off the menu for me.

Cheers,

DV

We've all had turns at some sort of flu bug this week, doesn't affect me much usually as my gut is a hostile, chilli and alcohol infused environment toxic to any form of life.

Worst i ever had was about 30 years ago. Got some liver out of the fridge and it smelt totally rank so i bunged it in a pan for the dogs, after a while it smelt better so i ate a little corner. Big mistake, lost 11 pounds over the next week and had to have three days in bed.
Next worst was a dodgy prawn in Mombasa, tasted it going in but i was too stupid / polite to spit it out. Snorkelling the next day i had to just get away from the group and let the world fall out of my rear. Relief just doesn't describe it. Things only lightened up when my wife at the time dropped a marble statue on her foot.

On holiday with my parents staying near Taunton in the early 70's, we visited Plymouth where I ate two dishes of mussels (bottom feeding little bvggers) at the harbour and literally exploded from both ends in the car all the way back to Taunton. It didn't last too long but death seemed like a better option for a while.
Another thing to avoid is the freebie food samples in shops/supermarkets where all and sundry can touch or move around the bite-size botulism bombs. (Also applies to nuts/crisps etc on bar tops)
Ah,the joys of human detritus :)

On holiday with my parents staying near Taunton in the early 70's, we visited Plymouth where I ate two dishes of mussels (bottom feeding little bvggers) at the harbour and literally exploded from both ends in the car all the way back to Taunton. It didn't last too long but death seemed like a better option for a while.
Another thing to avoid is the freebie food samples in shops/supermarkets where all and sundry can touch or move around the bite-size botulism bombs. (Also applies to nuts/crisps etc on bar tops)
Ah,the joys of human detritus :)

About the same time a load of us went camping in Scotland. Stopped by a loch one evening and we noticed a carpet of mussels on the bottom. We must have consumed kilos of them.
One fussy individual wouldn't touch them and opted for an instant packet curry, sure enough severe Rampoor runs next day.

Mussels grow best around sewerage outfalls

If you can work out what did you in - write a diet book. The Minstrel Diet - The Times bestseller list for a record number of weeks. Just dose your self once a week and have a complete clear out - guaranteed to lose 2 Kg a week. "Two off, five on" with added removal of any possibility of digestion contributing energy in the two off.

You could even get sponsorship from Cap'n Birdseye or Fiffes (depending on what caused it) for the bump in sales the massive quick solution fad diet crowd would cause.

Next Year - The Hot Minstrel Diet (Minstrel 2.0). Team up with iGary and his chillies for even more "explosive" hollowing out.

(Eat as much Tiramisu as you like before your lukewarm fish, chilli and banana fritter and not gain a pound!)

I have a friend who thinks the same of sausages and burgers? The same guy also doesn't see a problem of using a knife to cut raw meat and then using the same knife, not cleansed in between, for cutting salad or bread?? But I wouldn't do it.....

Sausages and burgers are a howl different ball park, but then we know that don't we?

Fish fingers or at least reasonable quality ones are quite simply processed, often whilst out at sea, the whole fillets are frozen together as a block then cut into fish finger shapes.

As opposed to mechanically reclaimed meat which is a whole other ball park.

I am willing to bet day old pepperoni pizza at room temp is a better culprit :)

I had a dose of food poisoning in Turkey earlier in the year. God, the 24 hours of wretching, squitting, sweating, shivering and hallucinating were awful. I thought I was being clever avoiding the usual suspects and eating salad, freshly washed as well. How wrong I was, as I was informed on my return!
I couldn't eat red meat for about three weeks without bad stomach cramps after.

Sausages and burgers are a howl different ball park, but then we know that don't we?

Fish fingers or at least reasonable quality ones are quite simply processed, often whilst out at sea, the whole fillets are frozen together as a block then cut into fish finger shapes.

As opposed to mechanically reclaimed meat which is a whole other ball park.

I am willing to bet day old pepperoni pizza at room temp is a better culprit :)

Could be? Maybe the fish fingers were defrosting for quite a while outside of the fridge and not heated up to a safe temperature? Could be something from a few days ago (although if it's that bad, it'll usually manifest itself quite quickly).......who knows? But Minstrel knows what he's eaten recently so will probably have a good idea.

Another thing I've seen a lot is people getting sick from re-heating take-aways....especially rice based dishes. Food shouldn't be re-heated more than once and with take-aways, you don't know whether the restaurant cooked the food fresh or maybe it's a dish cooked and reheated for serving?? And cooked rice itself can cause food poisoning if left at room temp for a while and eaten or warmed up again.

As mentioned above, this sounds a lot like the Norovirus. A few years ago I picked that up in London just before getting on a plane back to the US. Luckily it went into full effect only after I had landed - would not have been pretty otherwise.

Its certainly not a pleasant experience, but in fairness can come from all sorts of places, i.e. my dog eats anything. Luckily he is not a face licker, but some are...

Norovirus...is that a Liverpudlian assertion that it was indeed foodpoisoning?

Seriously, having had both Norovirus and Salmonalla in the past If I had to have one again I'd go for Salmonella. Norovirus was absolutely hellish.

The most undignified ailment known to man in my book.

Hope you are better.

G

Reading much of this thread I'm surprised any of you are still alive!

Shellfish.. all shellfish.. are shit feeders and should be avoided completely. We are not so hard up that we need to eat them.

Never keep, or reheat cooked rice. FFS!! It costs pence per ton!!

I prefer to defrost most things quickly and cook immediately.

So, for e.g., an average chicken breast would take about 1min -1min 30 to defrost sufficiently to be cut up and fried off for a curry, stir fry etc. I use the Auto Defrost on the microwave, which works very well. so long as you cook the results immediately.

For a frozen chicken or similar, I would defrost in the fridge.

I've had that Norovirus.

The missus brought it home with the kids after a visit to her infected Sister. Between 8:00 pm and midnight both kids, then the Mrs, chucked up all over their bedding. I spent the evening on washing machine duty and thought I'd got away with it.. until 10:00 am next day....

Yeeeaauucccchh!!

Mull

advertisement

Back