advertisement

When Did You Last Get Food Poisoning?

Minstrel SE

These go to eleven
I have just spent a day projectile vomiting and feeling very rough. I went to bed with the shivers and took ages to stop shivering with the electric blanket on max.

Then I went to feeling too hot with a temperature. Its gradually eased after bringing everything up. Could only manage a sip of water for a while. Im ok now on a hot milk diet with maybe a bit of scrambled egg later.

I reckon its some bananas I have eaten or some fish fingers I had. The last time was many years ago after eating some sliced corned beef. That was painfully scary as it spread and put me in the A & E outpatients dept.

I will have to be more careful. Now I'm back in the land of the living I wondered how often its happened to other Pink Fish readers?

Grim indeed but grimmer for the old and infirm. If you reckon it was all down to you then clean up your act but if you feel it was down to something from outside then consider informing someone in local authority asap. I feel someone with detailed knowledge of food processing and the laws around that subject will be a long sooner than later to offer tip top advice on this subject.

Grim indeed but grimmer for the old and infirm. If you reckon it was all down to you then clean up your act but if you feel it was down to something from outside then consider informing someone in local authority asap. I feel someone with detailed knowledge of food processing and the laws around that subject will be a long sooner than later to offer tip top advice on this subject.

Yes it took me out fast and I could only retire to bed. I can see how it can be lethal for the old and infirm. Im trying to work out if its lack of hygeine or not cooking food properly. Ive never had a problem with bananas before if indeed it was that.

With the corned beef incident I could feel it spreading throughout my body and attacking everything. The pain was unbearable and my body was having trouble fighting the infection.

Have you had it confirmed that it was indeed food poisoning that gave you problems or could it have been something else that to you felt like food poisoning? You may know more about hi-fi than your GP but then they may know more about illnesses and dangerous illnesses than you.

I am struggling to understand how you can get food poisoning from bananas.

I am struggling to understand how you can get food poisoning from bananas.

I was just about to post the same and if the fish fingers came out of the freezer, which they normally do, this is pretty unlikely. This sounds more like a sickness bug.

Have you had it confirmed that it was indeed food poisoning that gave you problems or could it have been something else that to you felt like food poisoning? You may know more about hi-fi than your GP but then they may know more about illnesses and dangerous illnesses than you.

Could be. This it it. You know something has been in your system and are trying to think what. The fish fingers had defrosted and came out of the fridge compartment. Maybe thats it or I didnt grill them enough. Maybe I didnt wash my hands well enough...I dont know

Im Ok now and wouldnt bother the doctor about it.

It's pretty unlikely that the bananas were the cause. If the fish fingers weren't cooked properly, then that's a possibility I suppose. However, it sounds more like something akin to Norovirus.
Hope you feel better soon.

It's never happened very often to me, but in my experience, when you have real food poisoning you instinctively know what gave it to you. This to me also sounds like a sickness bug rather than food poisoning, but that's pretty unimportant when it sounds so horrific.
Hope you recover quickly and feel a lot better by the end of today.

I'm not sure it would be the bananas or fish fingers.....but if the fish fingers weren't stored cold enough or cooked enough, it's possible?

Generally, don't eat dairy or meats/fish past their 'use by' date. And keep food in one of two zones, either too cold for bacteria to grow or too hot for bacteria to survive. A freezer should be minus 18 degrees centigrade or there abouts. A fridge needs to keep food below 5 degrees and when cooking, the 'safe' temperature is 72 degrees IIRC so most aim for 80 degrees to be sure. Anything in between are conditions for bacteria growth so the idea is you don't have food out of the safe zones for longer than is necessary.

So check your fridge/freezer that it is maintaining a good working temperature and if you are unsure of your cooking, buy a temperature probe and you can check to see how hot the middle of the food is before you consume it. They're only a few quid and stop people from guessing if things are cooked or not.

Yeah it will be my silly ways of defrosting the fish fingers to save on grill time. I will properly cook from frozen in future as I should know to do.

The fridge thermometer is reading 6 degrees and a defrosted fishfinger must be quite dangerous. I dont think I have been grilling so its hot enough right through every time. That will teach me :(

What happens is some people defrost products on their draining board or wherever, maybe in front of a window, and if left unchecked, the item exceeds 5 degrees and bacteria starts to grow and multiply. If the item is cooked really hot (80 degrees or over), then this would pretty much kill any bacteria so then, might be ok. But if only warmed through and never quite hitting these temperatures throughout the product, this sets up a scenario for a touch of food poisoning.

The recommended way to defrost something is to do it in the fridge so the item won't go over 5 degrees thereby bacteria growth is minimised and cook it to 80 degrees which makes it nice and safe.

The methodolgy of making fish fingers makes it unlikely to be the culprit, i bet you could eat one raw.

If you get ill from fish, you really get ill from fish.

Food poisoning can take easily 48 hours to present, so if all you have eaten in 48 hours is a banana and fishfinger, you have far more concerns :)

The methodolgy of making fish fingers makes it unlikely to be the culprit, i bet you could eat one raw.

I have a friend who thinks the same of sausages and burgers? The same guy also doesn't see a problem of using a knife to cut raw meat and then using the same knife, not cleansed in between, for cutting salad or bread?? But I wouldn't do it.....

If you get ill from fish, you really get ill from fish.

Food poisoning can take easily 48 hours to present, so if all you have eaten in 48 hours is a banana and fishfinger, you have far more concerns :)

This opens up all sorts of possibilities like the cold leftover pepperoni pizza slices I had from my friends house. That had probably been out at room temperature for 24 hours. Her new kitten had probably been weeing all over it as well :(

Note to self. Must be more careful how food is cooked and stored because food poisoning is a nasty experience

As has been stated previously, there are plenty of bugs doing the rounds, my family has had 4 affected, lasted about 5 days with me, 2 weeks for my 21 mth old granddaughter to recover, miserable feeling, sickness, nausea and a dose of the pineapple fritters.

advertisement

Back