advertisement

Whats the longest you've had a bit of Kit thats still in your system???

Leak Sandwich 600's and Lenco GL75 49 yrs (given to neighbour and still working great)
Tandberg TP41 Portable Radio 46 yrs
Cambridge Audio P50 bought slightly used in 1972 - 46 yrs (currently on loan to my brother in law)
Yamaha NS1000M 35 yrs
Nakamichi Dragon 31 yrs
Sony Walkman WMD6C 35yrs
Technics SL10 37 yrs
Technics Concise Mini System 37 yrs
Quad 34 & 606 31 yrs
Naim CDX 20yrs
Tag McLaren AV32R dp 18 yrs approx.
Naim NAC 72 & HiCap 20+ yrs
Avondale M130's
etc
etc

My LP12 recently celebrated its 35th birthday.

My NAP140 also started life back in 1983 but as a NAP110. It's mate the NAC42 is enjoying a well earned retirement.

Marantz SD 35 cassette deck. Bought with my first ever kit(2nd hand) about 30 yrs ago. It complemented a Rega Planar 2, a MF B100 amp, a Philips CD player and a Sony tuner. It all sounded great! It sits in my rack now.Using it to record Proms.

My Naim CDS3, bought new 10 years ago. The Naim kit around it has changed many times ranging from a Nait 1 through to a 552/300 and many in between. I've been using LP12's since 1982, but had so many variations it doesn't count.

A Philips CD100 bought 1984 (although it's a bit poorly at the moment. Anyone know of someone who could fix it? The sound cuts out after it's been playing for 10 minutes or so, though the disc keeps spinning).
A Sharp full size MiniDisc recorder bought 1998. It still gets the odd outing and sounds good.

My SBLs turned 21 in January. I have been very protective, so they are not yet ready to make their own way in the world.

An SME Model 20.2 is a year older and is definitely never leaving home.

My Chartwell LS3/5a's was the first piece of proper HiFi that I bought. Celebrates their 40'th birthday right now. I have owned a myriad speakers since then, but at the moment they are the main speakers in use.
My LP12 is from 1986, a newbee in this company.

That’s impressive! Is it still working properly?

Almost, I have a thread in classic on the restoration. It worked fine until the mid 80's when the speed was difficult to maintain, however with the assistance of
Craig B it is all coming to life. The speed function is now operable, only real issue is the stop button is not responding, but I think this can be rectified, not entirely the end of the world if it does not.

My brother passed this t/t to me for work rendered on his property, he was the main service engineer for Yamaha/Nakamichi ever since they were first imported to the UK. It is a fine piece of engineering and I am truly pleased to own this and hopefully return it to its former glory.

Bloss

Naim CD3.5 1997 or 1998. It was around this time I thought I'd have a a look at the Naim forum... ...just a quick peek...

(I think I got lambasted by Vuk, tarred as a "boybander" for using the handle "Green Anorak" as I was quite amazed that on the Naim Website you could actually buy an olive green anorak)

Aiwa HS-PX310

Bought in John Lewis, Nottingham, c. May 1993. Still works, and sounds great.

aiwa.jpg

Exposure pre/power and CDP, all bought new (well, ex-dem) 1998. I have an AR turntable from the early 1980s in the same system, but don't use it much.

Apart from my Pink Triangle turntable (23 years) I've had these Neat Momentum 3 speakers that try as I might, can't find anything to replace them with.

I try something new, get disappointed, and go back to the Neats again.

Not posted for a long time but this piqued my interest -- stuff I've had the longest
Sinclair system 4000 amp and tuner -- 1971 -- last in captivity? Still in office system
Sansui SR222 -- 1977 -- in sitting room
Wharfedale dentons -- 19xx -- hand me downs through family -- sitting room
Linn LP 12 -- 1980? -- black with black lid plus Ittok -- main system
NAC 42.5 -- 1980? -- main system
Don't live in a museum
Steve

Quad 34/606 (10+ years)
Mission M72 speakers (budget, yes. But just can’t seem to part with them for something ‘better’. Bought around 2002ish).
Quad IIs (in one form or another since the mid 80s).

Not posted for a long time but this piqued my interest -- stuff I've had the longest
Sinclair system 4000 amp and tuner -- 1971 -- last in captivity? ...
Don't live in a museum
Steve

That's amazing!

I bought some Sinclair gear at that time in Tottenham Court Road. But could never get it to work, it kept giving up and I kept sending it back to Sinclair.

Went back to TCR and purchased Japanese I'm afraid.

advertisement

Back