advertisement

What were you listening to 30 years ago?

30 years ago I was just entering a dark place, called Jazz.

I stayed there, in the dark , for about 25 years, from time to time emerging briefly to listen to some classical music, but scurrying back quickly.

I emerged, open to other stuff about 5 years ago, and enjoyed it very much.

But at the moment, I seem to be back in my dark world of Jazz.

Oh well, whatever makes you happy !!

1985!

Aha
Sade
Pink floyd
Everything but the girl. Esp Eden
Led Zeppelin
Level 42

Probably loads of others that I can't date accurately eg

Tears for fears.
Talk talk colour of spring?
Paul Simon, spirit of the saints / Graceland
John Martyn, various
Joni Mitchell blue

'84/'85, I was knee deep in Costello, REM, and XTC, Peter Gabriel's early solo albums, Richard Thompson, Minutemen, beginning to discover Husker Du...

Coming to this late so agreeing with many (haven't read pages 2,3,4 tho)

Off top of my head - The Waterboys, Billy Bragg, Suzanne Vega, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Alarm, Prefab Sprout

30 years ago, I headed off to University.

Some of us are getting together again and I'm trying to get a play-list together without the benefit of hindsight.

What immediately springs to mind for me is Bruce, U2, Lloyld Cole and the Commotions and Sade.

Without googling, what were you grooving to in 1984-85?

SJB

In 1984-85 I too headed off to Uni, UMIST to be precise. U2's "Pride'' was playing everywhere, and if memory serves me right, so was "Relax'' and "Come on Eileen''.

New Order, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Jam, U2, Propaganda, Clash, Grace Jones, Beastie Boys, Smiths, Lloyd Cole, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Prefab Sprout, Blondie, Boomtown Rats, Heaven 17, Duran Duran, Kraftwerk.

Pretty much the same stuff as I was listening to ten years before that...and still listen to now. Although I was in Manchester at the time, I never really 'got' the period era music and stayed with the likes of Free, R. Gallagher, M. Oldfield. J. Hendrix et al. Although there were a couple great albums from around 1985...Suzanne Vega for instance.

I'd been DJing house parties and in a sound system for 3 years. So mostly 12" s
BB&Q Band - Imagination (track), George Duke - Reach Out, Loose Ends various, The Whispers loads of tracks and a lot of Solar records artists...Collage, Midnight Star, Shalamar (not the pop stuff),
The Gap Band - Outstanding which I still love! (Incidentally the lead vocalist Charlie Wilson is still making good albums).
Practically anything from Dub Vendor's Fashion label, Keith Douglas's - Try love again, springs to mind. Greensleeves's Barrington Levy, Clint Eastwood and General Saint, various Carroll Thompson and Lovers rock.
Buying DJ records every week dictated your funds for personal preferences. Especially with US Imports and white label pre releases. I remember having to buy Rockers Revenge - Walking on Sunshine Import 12" which I hated, but it was my turn to buy the lemon!
My personal listening included (includes) the above and a leaning towards more mellow soul and jazz funk fusion: The Jones Girls, The Isley Brothers, Ashford & Simpson, Lamont Dozier, Luther Vandross,Alphonse Mouson, Joe Sample, George Benson, Incognito, Roy Ayres,Earl Klugh, Sadao Watanabe, Weather Report and more.
I used to make Mellow Soul tapes for me and my mates for wooing purposes, I also made DJ mix tapes to play my fellow mixer DJs on my Ghetto Blaster in the local park.One of my mates Frankie Foncett, went on to be a "Proper Club DJ. Doing Europe tours and remixes for different artists.
I still retrospectively buy linked artists and producers going back, a recent purchase was "Up Pops Ramsey Lewis" way before my listening days but still good. A good system gives you a real window on what was going on then.
My young son who is only 11mths listens to my music happily but sits entranced by the Time Out LP.
30 years ago? Aahh those were the days...The sun coming up and us heaving Double 18" Bass Bins and full crates of records into our various houses and sheds having had a few too many rum n cokes and a couple of Camberwell Carrots.

I am listening to the same old shite i have been listening to since the early 60s.
Have found some wonderful music every decade since.
Many to many bands and artists to list though.:cool:

The cult,
New model army
The smiths
any goth I could get my hands on
Depeche mode
early simple minds
early u2
The police
Inxs

too many more to list

Five years on and into a new decade how about a Friday night stroll down memory lane?

Whilst listening to The Beloved's 1990 album Happiness for the first time in ages I got to thinking of how much of the music I was listening to then I still do now. Probably much to do with being 21 in 1990 and having a few quid to spend on music but it was a good time for me with loads of albums coming out and plenty of gigs to go to.

On the list were: well of course Half Man Half Biscuit, Lloyd Cole, The Lilac Time, The Railway Children, The Trashcan Sinatras, 10,000 Maniacs, The Waterboys, World Party, Billy Bragg, The Cure, Love and Money, Frazier Chorus, Prefab Sprout, Andy White, Terry Hall.

Thread was created in 2014, can we take this as 30 years from them, or now. Music changed a fair bit in those 6 years

mmm... 1984

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Dead Kennedys

Dub Syndicate

Fad Gadget

Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Talking Heads

The B-52's

Kraftwerk

Metallica

Japan

Bowie

ZZ Top

Stevie Ray Vaughan

And a lot more that I can't think of just now.

I still have my records from 1984. I still play them.

In 1984 I had just come back from a year in Australia so had a head full of good honest Oz rock - Cold Chisel, Icehouse, Australian Crawl, Redgum, Midnight Oil,Eurogliders, Goanna and my favourite, the much underrated Richard Clapton.

30 years ago, I headed off to University.

Some of us are getting together again and I'm trying to get a play-list together without the benefit of hindsight.

What immediately springs to mind for me is Bruce, U2, Lloyld Cole and the Commotions and Sade.

Without googling, what were you grooving to in 1984-85?

SJB
Those were the heyday of MTV. Consider the heavy rotation on that. Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Talking Heads.

1984? I probably spent most of the year trying to find an LP by Michael Smotherman as recomended by (some HiFi journalist whos name I can't remember). Impossible. Two years later I found two on a sale. Listening to it today is rather embarrasing...

Just a week or two before he was killed, a Swedish radio station plugged Marvin Gaye.

Thats what I can remember, early Alzeheimer, probably.

advertisement

Back