advertisement

What were you listening to 30 years ago?

Was DJ-ing at the time. Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar, Eurythmics, Nena, Laura Branigan, ZZ top, Police... Makes me cringe...

Yes, what Julf said.

Plus Springsteen, Bryan Adams!, FGTH!!, Sting, Dire Straits, Cars, Alison Moyet, Ultravox, Joe Jackson ...

I still play some of that music - but in hindsight the mid-80's weren't particularly inspiring musically.

I was also DJing at the college radio station. Played stuff in rotation like The Smiths, Husker Du, Minutemen, REM, This Mortal Coil, Camper van Beethoven, Jesus and Mary Chain, Echo and the Bunnymen, and older Bowie, VU.

Sounds like my kind of radio station (weak ass pun intended.)

Funny time, I was left high and dry Joy Division had gone and I could not countenance whatever they became, didn't really like the Smiths and Elvis Costello was getting boring. Saved by hearing the The Pogues single 'Pair of Brown Eyes' then in diminishing order,REM and Tom Waits.

Went to see U2, Big Country, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smiths & Aztec Camera in the space of a few weeks around the time of my 18th birthday in 1984.

Fantastic and none in arenas or stadiums either.. :) All in Edinburgh

I was in Uni as a mature student. Didn't have two brass farthings to rub together.

Mercifully, very little of the music of the time mattered a damn to me, so being unable to buy it was no loss.

As I recall, I continued listening to my early jazz. swing, classical, 60's stuff, my better 70s stuff (Joni et.al.), and a lot of folk.

1984 was the year before I went to University. The new stuff I was into was the so called Paisley Underground - REM, Rain Parade, Long Ryders, Green on Red. Plus Talking Heads, The Cure and The Chameleons. I'd just discovered The Doors and The Velvet Underground too.

It seems incredible now, but when I got to University, REM were regarded as a really weird band. I got tons of flak from all the Meat Loaf and Foreigner fans (i.e. the not-so-silent majority). Brothers In Arms was everywhere.

Spooky, very spooky-I would have written much the same. I would only substitute The Cure/Chameleons with Doctor and the Medics and Hawkwind. I was doing stage crew work at college the following year and The Long Riders (unusually) brought their own state of the art PA. They did the final check with that big track from Brothers In Arms-impressive if naff at the same time.

Spooky, very spooky-I would have written much the same. I would only substitute The Cure/Chameleons with Doctor and the Medics and Hawkwind. I was doing stage crew work at college the following year and The Long Riders (unusually) brought their own state of the art PA. They did the final check with that big track from Brothers In Arms-impressive if naff at the same time.

I'd forgotten about Hawkwind (saw them 9 times between 83 and 86) and Dr & The Medics. I think I saw the latter twice, once with Zodiac Mindwarp as support. The stage at Newcastle University had a very low ceiling that was supported by metal I beams, causing the very tall Dr Clive to almost brain himself as he leaped onto the stage.

I was discovering the 70s and the 60s, throw in some current stuff of the time, and excursions into the world of jazz...

Was DJ-ing at the time. Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar, Eurythmics, Nena, Laura Branigan, ZZ top, Police... Makes me cringe...

I was club DJ ing and had pretty much the same playlist. Would add Foreigner Urgent and my trademark was throwing in some Joe Jacksons Jumpin Jive or the Honey Drippers.

The bands that toured the circuit: Madness, Gary Glitter, Thomson Twins, B52s, Boomtown Rats, The Cure, Specials, Blondie, etc;

Everything that John Peel was playing - Killing Joke, Cure, Reggae, Joy Division, Magazine, Orange Juice, Talking Heads, Byrne & Eno

I was in my teens the mainstream music was not my thing, i still listened to a lot of punk and new wave, also quite a bit of heavy metal also the California and boston punk scenes were happening but the records (and tapes) were hard to get hold of.
I went to live in Spain for a while and the music scene was years behind the U.K., i got in to alot of 70's rock, prog and fusion, then punk happened there soon after and i got to do it all again.

I was 12 so anything I could get my hands on, including.. Human League, Billy Bragg, Soft Cell, The Smiths, New Order, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Elvis (curtesy of my Mum), Roy Orbison and Simon & Garfunkel (curtesy of my Dad), The Style Council, the radio and Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star over and over again.

I really can't remember. Haircut One Hundred were no more so what was a boy to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so,

As well as Joy Division, The Cure, Siouxsie, Human League and much of that kind of stuff (which I still listen to and enjoy), I was also a manic Toyah fan :D. Saw her many times live and went to see her in a play at the Mermaid theatre called 'Trafford Tanzi' about 30 times - Splendid times !!
Cheers,
Alan. :)

1984 was around the time when new music was going stale for me. My life was changing and I listened to the radio less and less. I moved jobs and away from the Bristol music scene so live music dried up too.

For me it was mostly Cocteau Twins, Chameleons, Smiths. Nothing else really appealed.

I was 11 at the time and seem to remember being a big Howard Jones fan. Was probably mostly listening to now 3, 4 and 5. Particularly Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me (still great).

advertisement

Back