advertisement

What were the first 10 vinyl LPs that you purchased and when....

Ah yes, but in the late 70s and 80s, when many of us were finding our musical feet, you had 'pop' acts in the chart and slightly less poppy fare.

Yes, that was always been the case that some good stuff bubbles up, e.g. Hendrix and Black Sabbath charted, yet neither could be considered chart pop acts.

There has been a simply massive structural change in music that I guess started with punk/DIY or beforehand and has escalated hugely in the internet age where bands can do everything themselves without any reliance on managers, A&R men, record label advances etc etc.

The equivalent in the ‘70s were independents such as Virgin, Island etc plus many ‘cool’ imprints of majors such as Vertigo, Harvest etc, plus UA was a major that released some amazingly obscure music, but even back then some artists self-released despite the cost. There are a lot of highly sought-after private pressings from obscure prog acts etc just as there were during punk and new-wave.

These days so much amazing music is recorded at home and released via Bandcamp or wherever which leaves the pop-charts full of corporate-funded children’s music. The interesting stuff just doesn’t need the corporate involvement as people will find it via independent means. No one needs a TOTP or radio DJs anymore as they have social media and YouTube. To my mind the whole ‘tin pan alley’ concept of ‘60s and ‘70s chart pop died last century, though the corpse still twitches.

In awe of a couple of posters here. Seem to have fully formed mature tastes right from the get-go. Unless they started buying in their 20s :)

Well, in my case, a couple of years of singles purchases, by the likes of Sweet, Slade, Golden Earring, Chicory Tip, and others preceded the first album purchase ...

These days so much amazing music is recorded at home and released via Bandcamp or wherever which leaves the pop-charts full of corporate-funded children’s music.
Dunno. The current top 30 includes Eminem, Billy Eilish, Central Cee, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Raye, Charlie XCX...

Dunno. The current top 30 includes Eminem, Billy Eilish, Central Cee, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Raye, Charlie XCX...

A lot depends on what chart one looks at and over what time-frame it is applied, e.g. the Spotify top-30 is just what people are streaming, not what new-releases they are streaming, so it can contain stuff from a lifetime ago (just looked and Coldplay’s Yellow is in there!).

It represents one demographic too; Spotify subscribers, who are very likely a different subset to Bandcamp buyers or vinyl buyers. It is a very fragmented market.

That said I’d certainly not knock any of the artists you list, and I’d add-in the inevitable 12 Taylor Swift tracks that will be in any top #10 these days. Not for me, but it is all good well-crafted pop music. Likely a lot better than the average we suffered in the ‘70s let alone the ‘60s where the UK chart was still rammed full of music hall and ‘light-music’ crap.

I'd been buying cassettes for years before I assembled a hi-fi with a turntable, & can't remember what my first records were. I do remember buying The Fall - Bend Sinister & Tall Dwarfs - Long & Short of It new either right before or just after I got my deck. Then I moved towns & got right into the second hand bins at a fantastic shop called Records Records, where a mass accumulation began in earnest.

Same here, I had tapes long before i was buying my own records. I'm struggling to think what my first tapes I bought were though. Definitely AC/DC back in black and some rock comps (paranoid, ace of spades, silver machine, etc)

Singles were very uncool.
Vague memory that I bought Whiter Shade of Pale though.
edit or was it Nights in White Satin ? Or both...

Last edited:
I was told not to buy singles by my older brother as they were poor VFM , better to buy the LP. That was something that stuck with me, for good or bad.
I think having an older brother influenced me in both my tastes and record purchases, when I was 6-7 years old he was starting to get LPs for Christmas and Birthday presents, mainly The Police & Thin Lizzy and I can remember him buying Boston and Hawkwind LPs. Though these are all good bands and critically acclaimed I've never really liked them, maybe the odd song.
When I got to the age where I was no longer interested in toys and started to develop my own taste in music, this was mainly alternative pop or indie music, for the most part it was the music of my choice though admittedly I didn't want to be like 'everyone' else in my small circle, including my older brother, his friends (who were mostly rocker/bikers) and the majority of kids at school who for the most part liked the current pop music, Wham, Duran Duran, etc.
My best friend 'Heppy' from school was a complete Bowie nut though.
I think in general pop or chart music has been mostly dire, probably 95% is and nearly always has been IMHO.

I’d certainly not knock any of the artists you list
Massive tangent but I just noticed this on the Discogs site : )

hXgapJy.png

First one I can remember buying myself, when I was about 12, was:

Queen - A Night At The Opera

After that, new records would have been Christmas and Birthday presents for a while and would have been Pink Floyd centric, including DSOTM and WYWH.

Motorhead's debut would've been in there somewhere too...

Other than that, I can't really remember.

I didn't really start buying too much stuff out of my own money until the early 80s when I had an industrial placement during Uni.

Would have been stuff like Joy Division, Echo And The Bunnymen

The collection wouldn't have really started gathering momentum until I started work full time (Around 1986). From then on, I would have been buying albums by James, 10,000 maniacs, The Smiths, 4AD bands, The Wedding Present.

This is within 80% of accuracy
Rory Gallagher- S/T
Deep Purple- in Rock
Thin Lizzy- Fightin'
Deep Purple-Made in Japan
Jimmy Hendeix- Are you experienced
Led Zeppelin- The Song Remains the Same
Status Quo- Piledriver
The Horslips-The book of invasions
Deep Purple- Burn

I've finally worked out something resembling the list for the year - I know there are 11 but I can't be absolutely sure of the sequence.
The first 2 were definitely Beggars Banquet and Sly - I remember buying them at Xmas 68 HMV records in the underpass Corporation St Birmingham.

Elmore James – To Know A Man
Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
Sly and the Family Stone - Dance to the music
Santana 1st
Family - Music in a Dolls House
Lightnin' Hopkins – Lightnin' Strikes
Pink Floyd – Ummagumma
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Tyrannosaurus Rex - Prophets, Seers & Sages
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin

advertisement