advertisement

What were the first 10 vinyl LPs that you purchased and when....

That’s An Ideal For Living and is worth a fortune if you have a nice original copy.
I do still have it, they're probably one of my very favourite bands the record is mint though the covers well worn , just shelf wear , not abused, i still have all the other titles listed too.
I had a t-shirt with it on too and got a bollocking from my uncle who explained what 'Joy Division ' actually meant.

Purchased... Well I got Beatles - Sergeant Pepper as Christmas present in 1967. Still have it, minus the rock dock thing.
Number two must be an LP with steam trains, also as Christmas present. I'm a certified train spotter, but even I got bored after playing the first side once ;)
Number three and four... Two now forgotten Swedish acts.
Number 5 was Hendrix - Electric Ladyland!
Then I don't remember. I'm getting old.

Joy Division, Hendrix, Dead Kennedys....

You lot are all far hipper than me. This was my first ell-pee purchase.

Ny0yODgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

First album I bought was Highway to Hell by AC/DC on New Year’s Eve 1983 with a record token I got for Xmas when I was 11.

I think this was followed by Let There Be Rock and Killing Machine by Judas Priest and then an assortment of AC/DC, Judas Priest, Rose Tattoo and NWOBHM albums. Curiously, none of them were by Iron Maiden, none of whose albums have I ever owned and I have never really cared for, even when I was 11.

We are in 1978, I am 14. Pocket money is tight.

The Beatles red compilation (does that count for two?)
Pictures at an Exhibition (Solti)
Boney M Take the Heat of Me
Toccata & Fugue (Cochereau at Notre Dame)
Hotel California
Girl From Ipanema
French singers: Lavilliers, Higelin (several albums)
Then I don’t know.

Well of course, I taped many songs from FM radios before even buying my first record (Bee Gees 45 EP, How Deep Is your Love). Fourteen again, my first crush, Brigitte. ❤️ She’s 62 now.
I had forgotten about her. See what those down-memory-lane threads do? 😉

I definitely recall my first two.. I didn't buy the Beatles etc.. because everybody had them, so I tended to go for other stuff which interested me.. but which most of my pop obsessed friends just found weird.

R&B from the Marquee. Alexis Korner's Blues Inc. 23 shillings on Decca Ace of Clubs 1962 I was 13.
The Duke in Harlem. Duke Ellington recordings from 1926-1930/ Decca Ace of Hearts. Later the same year I think.
I still have both.

Later, I added...

Ray Charles Story Vol's 1 and 2.
Time Further Out. Brubeck
New World Symphony, Dvorak and Bach Brandenburg's, both on cheap eastern European labels. Nottm Co-op used to pack out their annual 'Sale' with such stuff. Still have the Bach..
One LP of Glen Miller and another of Django Reinhardt. I can't remember exactly which..
Progress was slow whilst still at school.. but after 1965 I acquired:
'There You Go'. Dorris Henderson and John Renbourn.
'Five Live Yardbirds'
.and an early, now sought after.. 'Motown Memories'..

Would they not have been considered pretty 'hip' at the time ? @paulfromcamden I can remember them on TOTP quite alot when I was a kid.
FWIW I'm quite sure my choice in music was not considered hip by most people I knew, maybe weird.
Most of the girls at school liked Duran Duran and Wham, the locals Madness and Bad Manners and my older brother and his mates were all rocker/bikers .

Starting in 1970, and all bought in around 2/3 years.
  • Wishbone Ash – Wishbone Ash
  • Yes – The Yes Album
  • Free – Live
  • Jethro Tull – Living in the Past
  • Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick
  • Jimi Hendrix – Isle of Wight
  • Wishbone Ash – Pilgrimage
  • Neil Young – Harvest
  • Yes – Fragile
  • Deep Purple - Fireball

Don't tell anyone here, but I actually liked Boney M (In a away it led me to discover real American soul music). Quite certain the girl on that cover didn't sing on the record...
I'm still fond of Boney M.

Apart from the tunes I don't think anyone from Boney M had any involvement in this record - it was from the time when you could buy cheaper versions of hit songs sung by someone else.

Would they not have been considered pretty 'hip' at the time ? @paulfromcamden I can remember them on TOTP quite alot when I was a kid.
I'm not sure they were ever quite as hip as Hendrix and Bowie but I was too young to know really.

It was kept next to my treasured copy of Superwombling I'd been given for Xmas and a bunch of my Mum's old 7"s including my absolute fave In the Year 2525 by Zager and Evans.

Easy. I have kept a written record of every album I have ever bought. Where from and how much it cost. Yep, sad but there you go.

First 10 with my own money, all 1977. Had a few Queen LP's previously, Xmas presents from family.

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
The Stranglers - No More Heroes
Santana - Moonflower
Baker Gurvitz Army - Baker Gurvitz Army
Deep Purple - In Rock
Queen - News of the World
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
ELP - Works Volume 1
ELP - Pictures At An Exhibition
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same.

Used to swap records with friends and school chums a lot in those days, so only the two ELPs are still in my collection today.
No sad at all, wish I had done the same.

Unlike Nigel I sadly never kept a log, but I will hazard a guess based on what I can remember owning early on (and still have luckily).

Blondie - Plastic Letters
Bowie - Ziggy and Aladdin Sane
The Clash - London Calling
Kate Bush - Kick Inside
Peter Gabriel - I
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Squeeze - Squeeze

I can remember the first. I was 11 and asked for Jonny Cash at San Quentin for my birthday. One of my favourite songs was 'Down Injun Canyon'. I was in my 50s before I heard it on the radio and realised it was actually 'Darling Companion'. Still got it and It would be in my desert island discs.

advertisement

Back