advertisement

What Was Your HiFi in 1980?

MartinC

pfm Member
Going back even further. For me at Uni but having some disposable income from my integrated 'sandwich' course with Westland Helicopters, mine was:

Rega Planar 3 (had to order from a dealer in Brighton, and there was a wait list!)
A&R P77
A&R A60
Heybrook HB2's

Great well balanced system, not sure it was any less musical than far more sophisticated set ups that followed.

Got this picture from my old college roommate several years ago, it was taken in 1980. Lot of good times listening to music in that apartment! That album leaning against the stand does not look familiar to me.

78HxQ4x.jpeg

B&O 2402 turntable
Yamaha CR-820 receiver
Yamaha TC-520 cassette deck
Infinity Column 2 loudspeakers

4edb3fcacc776555d72efbe48129bdc2.jpg

yamahacr8201.jpg

1000px-Tc520.jpg

iu

The loudspeakers had two 10 inch woofers, one downward facing. They also had a rear mounted tweeter.

Last edited:
Didn't have a "hifi" in 1980... Just an all in one record player/amp with separate speakers... Can't even remember the brand. Had a separate ghetto blaster for cassette and radio.

First separates were all Pioneer in 1981... But again, vinyl based ... Turntable, amp and speakers from Currys, that I got as an 18th birthday present....
The ghetto blaster stayed for a few years, until I saved up for a cassette deck... A JVC, IIRC

First "real" separates didn't happen until about 1985/6 "ish"

Walker cj55 w/ linn basik LVV (?) - The s shaped one
A creek cas4040
Mordaunt short Festival speakers

My speakers made by Brian ORouke pre Ruark DF10 Diesis a bright red Claymore and a Tom Flecher Dais.
Sorry about writing bloody partial blindness is given me he'll.
Oh a Nak Dragon also.

Michell Hyd Ref / Hadcock 228 / Ortofon MC15
Lentek MC step up
Cambridge P60
Acoustic Research AR6
Micro MX5
No cassette deck or tuner - had given up on my Pioneer cassette as it was so unreliable and hadn't replaced it at this stage, not until about 84 when I bought an Aiwa ADF250.

I had an Amstrad tower stack unit TS-33 one of Alan Sugar's first business adventures and before that a Philips tape deck trying to tape the Top 40 from a bush radio and not being interrupted by Mum calling up and shouting your diners ready,After the Amstrad l had a pioneer A400 a technics tape deck and Arcam Alpha speakers my first real taste of Hi-Fi

Micro MR311 with Shure V15-III.
Sansui AU3900.
Sony TC204SD cassette deck
Some Sony speakers, don't know the model, but they replaced Goodmans Ministers. Probably a backward step.

ERA turntable (crap)
Formula 4 arm
Ultimo (Dynavector) cart, high output MC, possibly called 10X.
Kenwood KA 7100 mid season traded to a NAD 3020
B&W DM6 (not mine, couldn't afford them)
SEAS 13" used as a SUB, driven by a Swedish kit amp of some sort.
Teac A400 cassette

8334480172_0ba2cd690d_c.jpg

Goldring Lenco GL75/M75EJ
Quad 33/303
Hitachi D550 cassette deck
JR149s

All still in the bedroom my dad built when I was a little kid. I’d have been 17 in 1980. All the kit above was landed 2nd hand as a job lot, combination of a small will and paper-round saving. I obviously didn’t know anything about system setup at this stage, I was very much on a learning curve. That system opened the door to so much great music! So much happening at that time (new-wave, synth pop etc).

A Quad FM3 would shortly arrive. May even have been there by 1980 (picture may be a year earlier). No headphones in the picture, though they turned up fairly soon as my parents yelled at me all the time to turn it down. Fixed with a little QED switch box and a pair of Leak 3000 Isodynamic headphones Laskeys were closing-out for peanuts.

PS Scary amount of asthma medicine in shot, still had it bad then. Thankfully went away with age.

I was 15 for most of 1980. I did have a system and a small collection of records. All the kit and most of the records were ones my Grandfather didn't want/need any more. Hence one of those boxes of Reader's Digest records (I still have it lol) and Val Doonican etc.

As for kit, cast-off Goodmans 3000 receiver with matching bookshelf speakers and a Goldring GL69. Plus one of those Philips cassette recorders with the central control and a second deck which I was given. Naturally, having 2 record players made me think I was a DJ and some of the tapes I made back then I still have (fortunately long-since transferred to digital). Actually, possibly my tape deck by then was a Ferguson 3280 which I had saved up for and remember walking to the shop to get. £50* which was the most cash I had ever seen, let alone held in my hand.

*Weirdly there's one on eBay now for...£50!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Trio KR 2600 Receiver
Trio KD 1033 Turntable
Goodmans Magnum Speakers

My 21st Birthday present in the late 70s, and all still working today (although not actully being used).

Trio KD 1033 Turntable / Ortofon VMS20 Cart
NAD 3030 Amp
Mission 710 Speakers
JVC Cassette Deck (can't remember which one)

The t/t would get swapped later for a Dual CS505 (that was a sideways move). It stays this way until 1983; my first job in London, and an LP12. Penury follows.

8334480172_0ba2cd690d_c.jpg

Goldring Lenco GL75/M75EJ
Quad 33/303
Hitachi D550 cassette deck
JR149s

All still in the bedroom my dad built when I was a little kid. I’d have been 17 in 1980. All the kit above was landed 2nd hand as a job lot, combination of a small will and paper-round saving. I obviously didn’t know anything about system setup at this stage, I was very much on a learning curve. That system opened the door to so much great music! So much happening at that time (new-wave, synth pop etc).

A Quad FM3 would shortly arrive. May even have been there by 1980 (picture may be a year earlier). No headphones in the picture, though they turned up fairly soon as my parents yelled at me all the time to turn it down. Fixed with a little QED switch box and a pair of Leak 3000 Isodynamic headphones Laskeys were closing-out for peanuts.

PS Scary amount of asthma medicine in shot, still had it bad then. Thankfully went away with age.
Nice to see a Fish on your bed Tony ....not a pink fish but in your early audio days ...they were about 🐟🐟😃

advertisement

Back