advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Ittok
pSIW59E.jpeg

Oops ! I've just bought a second Primare Pre60, this time for the second system in the front room. A very good price, though.

I bought one for a reasonable price in August for the main system, and it surpassed my expectations by a big margin. Fingers crossed for this one.

Oops ! I've just bought a second Primare Pre60, this time for the second system in the front room. A very good price, though.

I bought one for a reasonable price in August for the main system, and it surpassed my expectations by a big margin. Fingers crossed for this one.

It's here ! That was quick ! It sounds excellent. For the first time the ATC SCM 20ATs sound really good, in the sense that I am enjoying them almost as much as the Quad 63s in the main system. If we ever have to move (likely, we're getting old!), I might be able to make do with this system. That was the whole idea in first place. Amazing what a preamp can do, and the Primare pre32 was no slouch.

some aperta 300 stands for under the tannoy eaton legacy and also some isopuck 76 to go at the bottom of the stands

I've decided to invest in 5 pin UX5 triodes from the 1920s and 1930s. Types 27, 37, 56, 76. Some of the 27 have mesh anodes - lovely.

They are now the driver valves for my EL12 output stage in my SE amps. Getting rare these days - you need to import them from the USA. But worth it.

Isoacoustics ISO-Pads
Much better than hoped!

You pleased with the sound kev? What are you using it with?
Paired it with the Quad Artera Pre that I bought a few weeks before I bought the power.

Can you hear the difference Lurchy?
Yes, I have perceived a positive difference, and once I sell the 2x Supra Excalibur and Uptone USB Regen I was using I should be ~£100 up.
If I'd had to pay normal used prices or rrp for the Epic USB, I would not have been impressed with the level of perceived SQ uplift, definitely not a vfm change.
However as I grabbed it for <£100 and will more than cover that with the subsequent sales I'm a very happy bunny.

FMJ D33.
Just having a serious listen now, and playing with configuration.
So out goes the Dspeaker, at least for the moment, and I had taken out the Wyred4sound remedy too, at the same time. Reintroduced it on coaxial with exacting listening tests to see if it was still doing anything with the change of dac. I'd say its effect is less than with the Young dac.
But a few swaps between wires later pretty obvious treble just slightly creamier without losing any detail, but bass more open, more defined, more slam, more air. It's staying.
The room modes the Dspeaker was adressing seem much less of a problem with the D33. Curious that. So maybe the Dspeaker will be staying out.
Edit... definitely hearing stuff I never heard before on Quadraphenia. And Billie Eilish too...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back