advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

The last piece of hifi I purchased (it will probably be the last thing I buy) is a superb Amptastic Mini. Can’t quite believe it for the money. It has been dropped into a lovely Audio Note system though. Phew!
This was my last hifi purchase too...I'm using mine in power amp mode, sounds great through my icon mfv 6 speakers..I would imagine a Audio Note system would a rigorous test of the amptastic? Good to know it's superb in such vaulted company!

Just bought a rega carbon cartridge as my 11year old son "bought" a Harry styles lp and I don't want him risking my more expensive denon dl110. He also wants my modified rega p2 moved to his bedroom, but he doesn't know yet he needs an amplifier, speakers and cables, luckily my years of collecting are paying off :)

I bought a Cambridge Audio streamer and returned it because a) it doesn't work right and b) their customer support is ass.

thats a lot of Dacs
Yup. Almost a decade ago I replaced a Naim CDS2/XPS/52/Super with a Squeezebox and Benchmark DAC2. I figured that DAC was "perfectly fine". Since then learned that it's very detailed and accurate, but you can get other benefits and more pleasure from other DACs.

I blame my friend for starting me down this road, because he said the Benchmark DAC2 was "boring". :eek: Since then I've been climbing the ladder, but I think I'm close to good stopping point.

Yup. Almost a decade ago I replaced a Naim CDS2/XPS/52/Super with a Squeezebox and Benchmark DAC2. I figured that DAC was "perfectly fine". Since then learned that it's very detailed and accurate, but you can get other benefits and more pleasure from other DACs.

I blame my friend for starting me down this road, because he said the Benchmark DAC2 was "boring". :eek: Since then I've been climbing the ladder, but I think I'm close to good stopping point.

I had a shorter path lol. I looked but quickly upgraded in my head before purchasing.

I thought owww denafrips ares II then thought what about the 12th anniversary unit. Then wanted to add the iris. Then I was at PONTUS II level and seen a pontus on offer but missed it. Then thought PONTUS and hermes DDC because I seen one of those on offer making the pair £3000 but when asking about them got pointed to the Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Superclock. So £900 to £3000.

I had a shorter path lol. I looked but quickly upgraded in my head before purchasing.

I thought owww denafrips ares II then thought what about the 12th anniversary unit. Then wanted to add the iris. Then I was at PONTUS II level and seen a pontus on offer but missed it. Then thought PONTUS and hermes DDC because I seen one of those on offer making the pair £3000 but when asking about them got pointed to the Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Superclock. So £900 to £3000.
It can be an expensive hobby!

The REGA ATLAS TFG but this was last year.

I got fed up with the cheap ones and really like the retro red LED 7 segment display. I wish more kit still had these.

The Rega warranty also helped and supporting a British Company.

BRyCV1V.jpg

I've lately been enjoying playing CDs on various Arcam multidisc players. It's a brand that apart from the A60, matching tuner and early cartridges has for the past 30 years or so somehow eluded me. CDs sound lovely on all the multi disc players I've tried, the highs sounds more natural than on many CDs I've heard, imaging is good and the sense of ryhthm is palpable. Then of course you can play other formats too. I started reading up about their other disc players and recently bought a dedicated CD player, the FMJ CD23, this is one of their models that uses the Ring DAC technology developed with, or maybe it should it be by dCS.

I think it has had little recent use and frankly on first hearing yesterday I was a little underwhelmed. Now after it has been switched on for a few hours and my ears have adjusted I am very happy listening to a recording of Bach's Concerto for 2 Violins in D minor. The soundstage is clear and the timbres of the instruments sound very natural, it is very detailed too, transparent, and completely without 'glare'. It is also over 20 years old so I just hope that if need be it can be serviced.

Gamut d200 mk2, set of Gaia II for my ML Summits and replaced my 1.5m Epic XLs with a 2 metre pair following the change from Nord Monos to the GamuT.

It’s almost a week now since I installed the Pioneer UDP LX800 (great service BTW from Stephen & Simon @ HiFi Sound/2nd hand hifi).

I expected it to be good on BDs & 4Ks and it doesn’t disappoint. However it’s much better on red book CDs than I imagined. Superb with SACDs & DVD-A.

Mine was a Django TVC passive pre, which uses Stevens & Billington TX102 transformers, the same as used in Music First pre's.

It's great with my Leak Stereo 20. Really good actually. However, there's a M.F pre coming to the next bake off I'm going to, which I want to hear on the end of my amp...

An expensive listen possibly!

I'm hoping the M.F sounds shite with my amp (but I suspect it won't) ;)

advertisement

Back