advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Blue Sound Node arriving tomorrow. Got sick of waiting for the promised software updates and features on the Primare NP5.It has now been banished to the kitchen system, I wont be buying that brand again.

I had an old Osawa OS80L re-tipped by Garrott Brothers. It is now fitted in place of a Dynavector DV20XL.

I replaced the springs on my LP12 with the Analogue Innovation silicone grommets.

Really happy with the changes.

Benchmark DAC3 HGC, new to me, knob was loose, but I managed to find the USA size allen key required in my toolbox (phew!) and a drop of loctite later, all good. Have yet to test the unbalanced RCA out but all the rest seems good. For headphone use initially in my WFH office, perhaps some Genelec 8030C to join it for when I don't fancy headphones, and if I really fall in love it could form the basis of a main rig too as it has a couple of analogue inputs as well as USB, a couple of coax and a couple of optical digital inputs. I just need to get the firmware update that means it will not junk its EEPROM if you are unlucky when you turn it off - SVC being very helpful on that front. Moving in to the late 2010s from my early 1990s fixation with Naim ... perhaps.

Having fitted the Shibata stylus to the Virtuoso cartridge and had it in use for a few hours, I thought I’d add a comment about the upgrade. For all owners of the virtuoso, get the original stylus out and replace it with something better. Your vinyl deserves it. Whether it’s the SH or ML, just do it. You’ll finally get to hear what the cart is capable of.

Some mission 751's in rosewood came up on FB locally for 50 quid.. couldnt resist. Tried em in the boat system to replace Arcam Two's (as 751's look a bit nicer and are smaller). The missions have slightly more focussed imaging laterally, possibly bit more punchy in upper and mid bass and a more forward presentation. But the soundstage was not as high or as deep as the arcams, and the arcams bass go much deeper too. Arcams seem also more controlled - better timing. Could just be the 751's need a bit of running in - they had been in a loft unused for 10 years. They'll will make a trip home where they will replace some JPW mini monitors I have in the bedroom run by an arcam solo.

More Nordost :)
One more Tyr 2 power lead and the mark 3 QB8.

Pleased with the result.

Please point me in the direction the nearest fallout shelter :)

Ortofon Verismo cartridge. Still kinda surprised at the upgrade over the black. Value is subjective but if the rest of your system is up to it a better cartridge can be a fantastic upgrade.

Pair of Beyerdynamic 990 Pros as my first more serious venture into headphone listening.
I've been using a pair of these for some time (had to replace the ear pads once already) and find them comfortable for quite prolonged periods.

@uncl_nigel If you're happy it's money well spent. Just out of curiosity have you tried Crystal Cable at all?
No, they're not readily available here in France.
I have tried Chord Signature and liked them enough to buy some for the phono stage and tonearm.

Sold off all the Analysis Plus Silver Oval and Cardas Golden Reference XLR cables I used to use.

Apart for the rarely used Cambridge CXU kept for ripping SACDs all my power leads are Nordost. No Nordost speaker cables though - the regular presence of grand-daughter and cleaning lady make them an unwise choice.

I've been incorporating many things this year. The highlights:
  • Vandersteen Model 3, rather old, but sounding very impressive, especially for the price.
  • Denafrips Iris DDC, which nicely elevated my Pontus II. Getting I²S to work has proved impossible, though, so I'm using AES/EBU, which is clearly better than Coax and Toslink.
  • T+A DAC 200, which is quite phenomenal as a DAC & pre-amp combo. It's head and shoulders above the Denafrips Iris+Pontus, even with the Benchmark HPA4 adding its magic.
  • Weiss DAC 204, which won't be arriving until next month. The cost for it is comparable to the Denafrips combo, so we'll see how it fairs in comparison. (I have a feeling it will be closer to the T+A in performance, but we'll hear for sure when it arrives.)

I've been incorporating many things this year. The highlights:
  • Vandersteen Model 3, rather old, but sounding very impressive, especially for the price.
  • Denafrips Iris DDC, which nicely elevated my Pontus II. Getting I²S to work has proved impossible, though, so I'm using AES/EBU, which is clearly better than Coax and Toslink.
  • T+A DAC 200, which is quite phenomenal as a DAC & pre-amp combo. It's head and shoulders above the Denafrips Iris+Pontus, even with the Benchmark HPA4 adding its magic.
  • Weiss DAC 204, which won't be arriving until next month. The cost for it is comparable to the Denafrips combo, so we'll see how it fairs in comparison. (I have a feeling it will be closer to the T+A in performance, but we'll hear for sure when it arrives.)
thats a lot of Dacs

The last piece of hifi I purchased (it will probably be the last thing I buy) is a superb Amptastic Mini. Can’t quite believe it for the money. It has been dropped into a lovely Audio Note system though. Phew!

advertisement

Back