advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Chord Company Epic interconnect (£400) between Naim CDX2,2 and ATC 150 wpc Integrated. My long term reference is a Mogami microphone star quad cable with screw down connectors (£45). The Epic provides more detail, which is nice, and does not reduce dynamics like previous Chord interconnects that I have known. I have reservations that it may be showing up the limitations of the CDX2.2 but time will tell as it breaks in - a few weeks.
If I may ask, is it an RCA or a DIN cable ?

vis8sHv.jpeg
Got this shiny new thing today to replace a 2M black

Chord Company Epic interconnect (£400) between Naim CDX2,2 and ATC 150 wpc Integrated. My long term reference is a Mogami microphone star quad cable with screw down connectors (£45). The Epic provides more detail, which is nice, and does not reduce dynamics like previous Chord interconnects that I have known. I have reservations that it may be showing up the limitations of the CDX2.2 but time will tell as it breaks in - a few weeks.
Yes i like the epic .got am aes and just looking for a cheap rca to bnc , if i was at the show today they have discounts there but i am not !

A pure sound p10 phono stage in the vague hope I might one day buy a turntable, then finally accepting I don’t have any space for records and selling it 2 years later. Sniff

Loxjie D40 Pro bought from a slightly odd gent in London. Sounding utterly fantastic thank goodness. That's me hopefully done for a while (I tell lies too)

Sennheiser HD6XX are on sale for $200 so I picked up a pair just to compare them to my HD600's (yes, they are as good as people say).

A Quad Link-D1 USB DAC and output shifter last week ... no idea why, eBay impulse purchase (the beer helped)
.... tis good though (and also solid, small and stylish)

Last edited:
Which clock?
I've looked up the damping plates on the net, did you compare them with something cheaper, bag of lead shot/door stop?
dCS, the effect is more noticable on the DAC so the pair might end up there

I didn't compare them to a bag of lead because I have to look at them :) The HifiNews "Flix Dumper" (basically transformer irons in a small wooden box) and my favorite chromed doorstop do not do anything useful to the DAC. At one point I did compare the cheaper HES dampers to these and came to the conclusion that the heavier ones were the ones to have given the "relatively small" price difference.

Yesterday I listened to a whole range of "accessories" on a system comprising Apertura Edena speakers, Moon 760a power amp, dCS Rossini Apex DAC, Nordost QB8mk3, Qnet and Qpoint with similar cabling to mine - basically a slightly more modest version of my set up. The dealer and I were there to compare the impact of the Qkore eartting block (on the QB8mk3), the QSource linear power supply and the HRS dampers (on the DAC).
All worth having, all providing improvements to the overall sound. All more or less silly price. I came away with the HRS as the most cost effective and the conviction that if I wanted the other two items I'd have to scour the secondhand sites.

Also tried the Mark Levinson 585.5 integrated as an integrated amp and as a power amp but did not like it on those speakers (something in the bass in particular). Apparently it works well with Proac but, to my mind, it's a bit brutal with Apertura speakers.

advertisement

Back