advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

I really like it, although I’ve only listened to it in a Naim system. Where are you? You’d be welcome to hear the CD5i, a Linn Ikemi and a Meridian 507 for comparison.
Thanks for the offer but I’m miles away on the south east coast, France is probably closer to me than you are. The Ikemi would have probably been the way forward, but they are a bit thin on the ground, for a good one. My first thought was a Moon 260 D T played through a katalyst dac, but don’t think I would get past the financial director (mrs) after just doing 8k on hifi.

Last purchase was a NAC72 a few weeks ago. I had one 30 years ago but upgraded to an 82, then sold that and went without for a while, before returning to the Naim fold with a 42.

Let's just say the plug in nature of the cards in the 72 make it easy to try new things, and I've been trying loads.

Thanks for the offer but I’m miles away on the south east coast, France is probably closer to me than you are. The Ikemi would have probably been the way forward, but they are a bit thin on the ground, for a good one. My first thought was a Moon 260 D T played through a katalyst dac, but don’t think I would get past the financial director (mrs) after just doing 8k on hifi.
If you’re using the Katalyst DAC, try an Audiolab 6000CDT, I seriously doubt you’ll be disappointed!

Rega Fono MC, Denon 103r cartridge, a carbon fiber cartridge spacer, OL VTA adjuster for my RB300, and an Isoteknic(??)
upgraded counterweight...

Had to install the cartridge myself (cos COVID19), and broke one of the connections in my RCA plugs on the arm, so bought new ones and soldered them on.

First time I've done proper cartridge setup, and I'm rubbish at soldering, but had to jump in and swim. Being partially sighted, with RSI and mild nerve damage in one of my hands, it was, err, bicycle clips time, but I prevailed!!

It sounds bloody excellent :)

Methinks my Dl-110, at 16 years old, was well past its prime (though still doesn't seem appreciably worn!).

Last purchase was a NAC72 a few weeks ago. I had one 30 years ago but upgraded to an 82, then sold that and went without for a while, before returning to the Naim fold with a 42.

Let's just say the plug in nature of the cards in the 72 make it easy to try new things, and I've been trying loads.
I too want to avoid saying "I had one X years ago" so my NAC 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s cards stays ! Same with my NAP 160BD. :p
The 72 represents the best value for money all categories included IMO in terms of audiophile preamp.

The 72 is a great pre-amp. I plugged in and was taken straight back to Salisbury in the early 90s. It's quite the definitive Naim pre-amp.

ProAc Tablette 10 Signature - which are excellent - replacing Kef LS50 Meta - which replaced Harbeth P3ESR.

The Kefs to my mind were the most disappointing of the lot due to poor bass and lack of resolving ability (driven by Bel Canto and Hegel)…

Modwright KWI200 with DAC module, replacing a much loved Onkyo P3000R/M5000R pre/power.

ProAc Tablette 10 Signature - which are excellent - replacing Kef LS50 Meta - which replaced Harbeth P3ESR.

The Kefs to my mind were the most disappointing of the lot due to poor bass and lack of resolving ability (driven by Bel Canto and Hegel)…
Will your next step be the Stirling LS3/5A V3 ? :eek:

The only time I've ever heard the kefs being described as unresolving. Those little ProAcs must be ace

Have you heard the CDT linnfo? I'm looking for a good cd transport. I would prefer vintage....... But the spare part situation is scary
Yes, a friend has one. He started out with my Arcam Alpha 7, added a chord Qute EX a few years ago which sounded pretty decent, the Arcam started to fail and he picked up the Audiolab, it made the Arcam sound somewhat congested/restrained. I can’t say the overall tonal balance changed, it just became easier to listen to, easier to pick out details. I reckon it’ll sound great though the Katalyst DAC, you’ll be feeding a very good digital signal to a superb DAC, it’s got to sound pretty superb.

Edit, it’s late… just remembered it’s Boon that has the Katalyst DAC (unless you do too). It’s a nice transport though, way nicer than the Cambridge Audio CXC and similar money.

The 72 is a great pre-amp. I plugged in and was taken straight back to Salisbury in the early 90s. It's quite the definitive Naim pre-amp.

Did they make other preamps? Nobody told me :p

Have fun, and let me know when you want a comparison with an RSL tricked out version ...

Did they make other preamps? Nobody told me :p

Have fun, and let me know when you want a comparison with an RSL tricked out version ...
Oh this is my MJS/JJ tricked out version. Let's just say I've built myself a new 729 replacement. That's also a SNAXO equivalent. That has its own board, too. :cool:

Wasn't there a 42 that included XO?!!?

Offer for a comparison with a 72 RSL, HiCap RSL PSM-2 still stand, and I'll throw in my ALWSRed NAXO 2-4 ...

advertisement

Back