advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

1210G.jpg

I didn't want to, and at the price it hurt, but I now feel a duty to keep up with the Joneses.

The P10 should absolutely be on a wall shelf, so that's probably the next thing; but it's going to have to be above a radiator (not ideal), and I'm going to want a pro to install it because the walls here are panel and dot. Also just bought a Supra mains block to replace the Stands Unique one that I've had since 2003.

I have my P10 currently on an Audiotech turntable stand and it's working very well there, your right about placing a TT above a radiator, not the best place, and if you do install a wall shelf it would be nice to get at least one side mounted to a stud.

Gustard A26 is on order for me. I will only be using the DAC and probably the headphone functions on it and struggled with the concept of buying a box with more functions that won't be used...but budget limitations and a good review or two swayed me. @Greyandy, if by chance you ever compare your R26 with and without the C16 I would love to hear about it (or from anyone else with a Gustard C18)
I have indeed tested with/without and reported back in another thread... cut and pasted here (to save the suspense, it sounded better with the C16!)

I bought a Gustard C16 and have been running this on my R26 for the past few weeks. I got both units at around the same time and they have had a good 300 hour burn-in.
In order to do as 'blind' a test as to any differences with/without the C16 I settled on the below test method...

The R26 has a remote that allows you to switch between the C16 and internal clock. Without looking at the display, I randomly changed between internal and C16 a number of times... went and had a cup of tea and did the same again a few times. This was to ensure that I didn't know if it was 'on or off'. Following this I settled down and listed to a few familiar tracks, switching the clock setting as I listened - again without looking at the display. There was a distinct difference between the 2 'mystery' settings, one had more depth and clarity than the other. Went off for another cuppa and returned and listed to a few more tracks (remembering I didn't know if I was listening with the external or internal clock). Again, a difference. Guess which one sounds better?

This: an Eagle International AA-8 tuner.

1Jk6l7J.jpg

Now, before anyone gets worried that I've lost the plot, let me reassure you that this will not be displacing the B&O Beomaster 5000 as my reference tuner of choice!

However, I had one as part of my very first separates hi-fi system handed down to me by my dad in my teens and i remember it being a nice thing. I spotted this one on eBay and was overcome by a wave of nostalgia, plus a bit saddened by its unloved state. That would have been the end of it until the seller sent me a private offer of £12 that I couldn't turn down!

Of course, you can all rest assured that I have absolutely no plans to start setting up alerts on eBay for the rest of the system components.

Honest...

This: an Eagle International AA-8 tuner.

1Jk6l7J.jpg

Now, before anyone gets worried that I've lost the plot, let me reassure you that this will not be displacing the B&O Beomaster 5000 as my reference tuner of choice!

However, I had one as part of my very first separates hi-fi system handed down to me by my dad in my teens and i remember it being a nice thing. I spotted this one on eBay and was overcome by a wave of nostalgia, plus a bit saddened by its unloved state. That would have been the end of it until the seller sent me a private offer of £12 that I couldn't turn down!

Of course, you can all rest assured that I have absolutely no plans to start setting up alerts on eBay for the rest of the system components.

Honest...

You sure ??????????????? :rolleyes:

Back into Naim. :cool: (or should I say 'back to Naim', as I've always been into Naim) :D
Naim-Nait-5i-2-front.jpg

Last week a Naim audio dealer offered a Nait 5i-2 in great condition, at a no-risc price. :rolleyes:

The little Rega IO still is superb VFM and I could easily live with it for a long time, but when I got it I had the intention of getting into vinyl again.
It's 9 months later now and I don't think that'll happen anymore. Mostly the prices of both s/h and new vinyl are putting me off. (having to start from scratch again doesn't help either)

In comparison the Rega IO offers a slightly sweeter treble, but it seems to share more than it differs from the Naim.
Where the Naim wins hands down is transparency. (and to me also in the looks and finish department. Imho, Rega amps look a bit cheap, due to the glossy, plastic fascia)

I'll probably have it recapped later this year. (therefor I'll keep the Rega IO for a while as back-up)

Last edited:
Back into Naim. :cool: (or should I say 'back to Naim', as I've always been into Naim) :D
Naim-Nait-5i-2-front.jpg

Last week a Naim audio dealer offered a Nait 5i-2 in great condition, at a no-risc price. :rolleyes:

The little Rega IO still is superb VFM and I could easily live with it for a long time, but when I got it I had the intention of getting into vinyl again.
It's 9 months later now and I don't think that'll happen anymore. Mostly the prices of both s/h and new vinyl are putting me off. (having to start from scratch again doesn't help either)

In comparison the Rega IO offers a slightly sweeter treble, but it seems to share more than it differs from the Naim.
Where the Naim wins hands down is transparency. (and to me also in the looks and finish department. Imho, Rega amps look a bit cheap, due to the glossy, plastic fascia)

I'll probably have it recapped later this year. (therefor I'll keep the Rega IO for a while as back-up)
This specific Naim amp is the best value for money in today’s Naim’s offering hands down.

This specific Naim amp is the best value for money in today’s Naim’s offering hands down.
I can only agree, Gervais Cote. I got it for € 400,-, complete with original packaging. It's been very well looked after by its previous owner.

A Unitiqute also still represents great vfm, but I've had several network connection issues with it in the past. (never happend with the Bluesound Node so far)
I briefly thought about getting a UQ and only use the integrated amp + dac part, but I prefer a seperate amp + source combo.

Some Custom Design open frame stands for LS3/5a’s. I’m a firm believer that any change will make a difference. Might not be an improvement, might not be the change you were expecting. But these have had a very noticeable positive effect, moving to them from sand-filled heavy single column stands. Have completely removed a slight sense of foot-dragging, and opened up everything nicely.

I bought today a Sony TA-F5000 integrated amp and a TEAC VRDS-9 cdp. The Sony is a sounding delight, built to very high standards, were it tagged Goldmund it would cost 20 times as much..
The Teac has a few mechanical issues but is a very serious performer. €700 for both. It is definitely possible to live, eat and listen to music with a fraction of what this sick world thinks it's necessary for a decent life..
F**k modernity.

Two REL Tzero subs now in place.

Ordered a Marantz ND8006 Network CDP, some great deals on these at the moment. Should be arriving tomorrow or Friday. If it works out it will replace my Quad 99CDP-2 & Allo Digione Signature.

Also bought ToTo Mans Spendor S3/5R2s, some thing to look forward to in the new year.

TS
ND8006 is excellent. Hard to find now but I would buy another if I could.

Naim-Nait-5i-2-front.jpg

The recap will probably cost more than the amp.
Please report back your longterm view on both amps.

A Dual 1229, now restored to former glory. And it doesn’t sound half bad either. Here fitted with an AT cartridge for testing purposes.

The recap will probably cost more than the amp.
Unfortunately,...yes. (bringing the total price of the amp close its newprice of 15 years ago) o_O
Still, I can't think of any better alternative if I'd like to stick with Naim.

Please report back your longterm view on both amps.
Ok, although my intention was not to compare both amps longterm, (already compared both amps the last 4 days)
Still, as I intent to keep the Rega for a while, it might be interesting to see how it holds up to the Naim after a longer period.

(please, feel free to remind me of it, when a few months or so have passed)

Your request reminds me... somewhere around 2008 when I had a Nait 5i + nSats, my Naim dealer offered to come by with a SN1 to try.
It took only a few tracks to give him my beloved Nait 5i as a trade-in, but...impressive as the SN1 sounded to me at first, a few weeks later I started to miss the Nait 5i.
(the SN1 was clearly superior in some areas, but not all, and to me not in the more important areas in the end) The Nait 5i was already sold on again, so... good lesson!

advertisement

Back