advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Against my own better judgement, instead of a pair of Massdrop Sennheiser HD650 I've ordered a pair of Beyer 700 Pro X's.

Curious.

Pictures and impressions to follow.
How are you getting on with them ?

I have the Massdrop 65xx and love them. I don’t have much experience of similar quality headphones so can’t compare but they sound very nice indeed to these ears.

How are you getting on with them ?

I have the Massdrop 65xx and love them. I don’t have much experience of similar quality headphones so can’t compare but they sound very nice indeed to these ears.

Glad you like them. There are not many that dont. It's a Classic and still made for a reason.

The Beyerdynamics are superb.

After a lot of reading I ordered the 58x Jubilee. Wanted the H6xx but then changed my mind. Unfortunately, Drop just informed me there is a slight delay with shipping date around the 13th January. Hopefully have them by the end of month.

Meanwhile, the Sundara has arrived. Just need to 'warm' them up for a day or two. I have also bought a pair of Meze's 99 Classic which should be here soon. I am planning to do a written comparison but probably wait til I have the Sennheiser. I am no headphone expert though.

20230107-151438.jpg

Just bought a 2nd hand Primare i21 to replace the recently deceased Audiolab 8000S that was in our livingroom system. It's silver so will be moved to the bedroom system which is nearly all silver components, and the black Primare i22 that's currently in that system will be moved to the living room system as that has all black components. The things I have to do for spousal approval!

Just ordered a Naim NSC222 to replace my 272. Can't wait to get it home, been waiting for the updated version for a while now and am looking forward to the updated streaming platform ore than anything. Now the wait!

Meanwhile, the Sundara has arrived. Just need to 'warm' them up for a day or two. I have also bought a pair of Meze's 99 Classic which should be here soon. I am planning to do a written comparison but probably wait til I have the Sennheiser. I am no headphone expert though.

I keep hovering over the buy button on the HE400SE but keep seeing that defined bass isn't planar magnetics strong point and I listen to a lot of electronic music, so looking forward to any comments you have about the Sundara.

Reactions: RoA
Just ordered a Naim NSC222 to replace my 272. Can't wait to get it home, been waiting for the updated version for a while now and am looking forward to the updated streaming platform ore than anything. Now the wait!
How long to wait? On its own or psu as well? Exciting time!!

On its own, will be a while before I can convince my better half that I need to spend another 6k on hifi haha. Not sure on wait but I've no rush to be honest, the 272 is providing excellent service still. I do need to shift the teddy xps now though...

Chord shawline inbound today to use pre power .at some point want a siggy tuned aray but man they are pricy .800 quid new !!! Crazy price but there you go .shawline are 195 on amazon

Pondering bigger set of alchris as the standmount is rather good .electrostatic is a much used cliche but you could compare them .quite a fast speaker and a bit intolerant of bad recordings but gosh if you get a good recording it certainly gives a wow factor. However also thinking of Verity too but so many overpriced.

I bought a set of Tozzi One speakers (in kit form) to use with an Elekit TU-8100 valve amp (also a kit) that was a Christmas present. The two of them work well together as a near-field system for my workstation in my home office. We tried the little Tozzi one speakers in my living room where they outperformed the Cambridge Minx XL speaker we use for TV duties, I'm thinking I may check out some of the other single drive unit kit speakers...

Auralic Altair G1

Over the last year I've:
  • Experimented with Roon
  • Sold my long term Auralic Aires Mini to fund a Roon focussed Sonore Microrendu
  • Liked the Microrendu but disliked having to disconnect and reconnect the power supply to turn it on
  • Decided Roon is; bright sparkly and interesting but ultimately not worth it. 30% of my listening is records, 40% Radio 3, 20% Apple music on my phone when I'm out and about
  • Sold the Microrendu
  • Replaced it with a Raspberry Pi based streamer to listen to radio three and the stuff on my server and finally got PiCore Player to work
  • After 5 years got bored with tinkering with my RME DAC
  • Decided to experiment with physical rather than digital room correction
  • Got nostalgic for the Lightning DS Operating System, it really is all I need
  • Bought Auralic Altair G1
The long term goal was an Altair G2.1 but this sounds so sweet that I might wait 5 years for the G1 to give up, then invest in a G3 or whatever they are producing at that point, in the hope that it will see me out.

Cambridge network streamer/dac to go with the transport. Not even powered up yet, just waiting for some XLR leads from designacable - yes balanced output too - so the screen protector is still on! I'm not a big digital fan so that's more than enough for me.

Naim XPS DR. Secondhand and arrived this morning for use with my NAC 272. I'm at work and I've set it to work (at home) on a continuous loop of music! Looking forward to the bell and hometime :)

Bought myself an old Sony cdp228 esd from the bay vendor I got my Rotel rcd965bx from. Both used just as transport thru nDac/555ps. The Rotel surprised me when I got it but the Sony is pretty amazing, only £200 too, well chuffed.
Then, those nice people at Linn announced a price rise so I felt obliged to replace my '04 Akiva. Had a thoroughly enjoyable couple of days listening, choosing, then watching and learning as my Kandid and Karousel went on and I swapped my old Akurate Radikal for a new K/Rad. Quite a chunk (for me) to spend but probably my last big purchase and, although I've got tinnitus I could still clearly hear the differences. Well chuffed with this too.

Technics SL1200GR
Well I didn't need it as I already have two turntables, my Voyd SMEV Hana SL and in my AV system my trusty old Technics SL-QL1 with Vantage audio mods.
But I decided I did need it especially at a discounted price £929 open box.

And it's been very enjoyable though requiring some effort to flip flop between the GR and the Voyd, I'm putting my old Lack table to good use for the deck not in use.

Quite a contrast in sound between the two ! With the Voyd being more airey with a somewhat bigger picture and having a similar sense of drive as with the GR ,but the GR sounds tremendously capable and confident sounding with so much control , one area where the GR really pulls ahead of the Voyd is in piano playback.

Pitch stability is as you'd expect is marvellous.
Looks great in silver which I didn't think I'd like as much as the black 1210.

SVS Pb1000 pro. Used with Kef R700 and since it only fills a few Hz at th bottom most of the setup consists of turning the various settings down, but it is about right now and definately improves the music.

Bought and added a single Audiolab DC blocker/mains conditioner. I bought the 6 outlet version a few weeks ago, but needed 7 supplies, so I added another single outlet version.

Verdict - the Audiolabs definitely did not block my issue of system noise specific to having to use 'powerline' adaptors (temporarilly necessary to get wifi in my remote listening room).

Probably my imagination and an element of 'wanting' it to sound better after throwing some money at it, but I have noticed (as a result of having a visible indication of mains voltage on the front of the 6 outlet Audiolab box) that the system 'seems' to be nicer to listen to when the incoming system voltage is up at an indicated 240v, rather than when its sat at the more typical indicated 236v.

Anyways...the Audiolab box also adds a bit of spike protection and has to be better than plugging it all into a crappy multiple outlet right? So happy days!

B&O Beovox C75 loudspeakers. Always fancied trying a pair and, unlike most of my other recent speaker acquisitions, they don't need re-foaming, thank goodness!

advertisement

Back