advertisement

What was/is your favourite CD player

Rotel RCD 965BXii........I’ve not come across a CD Player that sounds as good and this post has me wondering if they deployed a proprietary dac technology, or a now defunct one? Other than that, I had a Naim CDX 2, very good too.

I am currently comparing the aforementioned Naim CDX2.2 with a more reasonably priced Arcam CD 8se.
I can understand how the CDX2.2 does not appeal to all ears. It is the leaner and more accurate sounding player which seems to favour more natural acoustic recordings but could be construed as harsh on more complex studio material.
On the other hand, the Arcam tries to please everyone with a more generous (less accurate) lower mid. It succeeds in this trick by getting everything else pretty much right and being more friendly to a wider range of music styles.
But. Miles Davis ' Kind of Blue is ultimately more realistic on the Naim. To name but one musical example.

Blimey this is going to tax my memory.

These are just the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. Most are players I've owned but some are players that I've worked on for other people and had a chance to have a good listen to:

Eclipse 101
Cambridge Audio CD4
Cambridge Audio CD5
Cambridge Audio CD6
Cambridge Audio Discmagic plus Dacmagic 3 and Isomagic S700
Cambridge Audio D500se
Cambridge Audio CD2
Arcam Alpha 5 (many)
Arcam Alpha 5+
Arcam Alpha 7 or 8?
Philips CD104 (several)
Philips CD471
Philips CD723
Philips CD960
Sony M75 (several)
Sony 103 (several)
Sony 303es
Sony 502
Sony 333esd
Sony 227 (several)
Sony 710 (many)
Sony 750 (sevral)
Sony 950
Sony 337esd (many)
Sony 557esd (several)
Sony X7esd (several)
Sony X707esd
Sony 555esd (several)
Sony X555es
Sony XA20es
Sony 228esd
Sony 338esd (sevral)
Marantz CD63
Marantz CD74
Marantz CD84
Marantz CD73
Marantz CD873
Audio Alchemy DDS plus DDE
Audio Note CD2
Rotel RCD971
Rotel RCD991
Denon DCD900
Denon DCD3300
Roksan Caspian
Teac P-500
Creek CD60

Notable highlights from the above list would be:

Sony CDP-555esd
Sony CDP-557esd
Sony CDP-X7esd
Sony CDP-337esd
Rotel RCD-971
Philips CD960
My highly modified Arcam Alpha 5
My highly modified Sony CDP-710
Denon DCD3300

The Audio Note CD2 sounded great but gets marked down for having a crap laser mech.
Sony DAS-R1 if we're including DAC's.

All those Sonys but not a CDP715 .Which is a cracker and sounds better than any of the ES or ESD players .It sounds uncommonly clear, open and 3D.

I am listening to a Philips CD104 ATM and its truly excellent mine is in OS mode but I also have a friends NOS mode CD 104, I actually prefer the NOS MODE
Alan

The Isis and CD12 are both absolute top drawer players, not much to pick between them to be honest... the CD12 is both utterly stunning to look at and is a legendary product, but unsupported... the Isis is rather more brutal in styling, but it’s a current product, hence very well supported.

I have a modded Mimik which is easily as good as a Karik as a transport (drawer mech aside, the transport circuitry is essentially the same as a Karik, same PCB, albeit populated differently). I may end up using the Mimik in a Klimax Katalyst Exakt system, pretty certain it’ll deliver CD12 level performance.

If I may ask, is it difficult to bypass the inboard DAC of a Mimik and install a RCA digital output ?
I’m asking because I have one and always got the feeling I can get more out of it but I didn’t know how until I read modded Mimik !

If I may ask, is it difficult to bypass the inboard DAC of a Mimik and install a RCA digital output ?
I’m asking because I have one and always got the feeling I can get more out of it but I didn’t know how until I read modded Mimik !
My Mimik already has a coax digital output on BNC, I have seen a couple in pictures with no digital output, odd, not sure why Linn would do that when they had a very posh DAC in the range at the same time... it’s a clock mod on mine, definitely improves it, but it’s still a little cool and detached to my ears as a stand-alone machine... now as a transport into a decent DAC, it’s very good indeed. I think if Linn would have included the clock sync function on the Mimik (and they could’ve done, it is the same PCB as the Karik after all), it’d have dented sales of the Karik, because it’d have become the one to buy with the Numerik!

All those Sonys but not a CDP715 .Which is a cracker and sounds better than any of the ES or ESD players .It sounds uncommonly clear, open and 3D.
And you know this because you've got significant experience with all the ES and ESD players on that list?....

What is it about the SONY that I try so many of them ?
Well, this company is really fascinating. While many companies had 2-3-4 models of CD players in all their history, Sony had HUNDREDS.
Even if most of them look identical, they are NOT identical. Their faceplates differ by 2 buttons or 2 millimeters. So it was not part sharing or economies of scale that drove this proliferation.
They were mutating like Drosophila flies. And proliferating like rabbits in Australia. Amazing. I haven't seen any part sharing at all. Every PCB is different and so on.
Sony was the company which made their products in the most solid way, most honest, without pretending to be Burmeister or Jadis.
Some people can sit motionless for hours and stare in the fire place. I can stare into KSS190A mechanism loading and unloading the CD in the same way as the fire watchers.

http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/Sony338ESD/Sony CDP338ESD.html

GREAT topic ... actually during the early Covid-19 lockdown times I have started listen to CD again and now it's approx. 50% of my listening time with digital sources were I turn on the CD player.

First CD-player was a new Denon DCD-500 back in 1987, the most affordable Denon player at that time. First CDs I bought were Peter Gabriel "So" and Simple Minds "Live in the City of Light". Was really excited until in 1988/1989 met a guy owing a LP12, we did a direct comparison and afterwards I wanted something else ...

Wanted to buy a Naim CDi or the Arcam double box CD player (forgot the name) but they were financially too far off at the time so I bought in 1991 a new Marantz CD-94 mkII which I still own and use. Really love that thing, went through certain minor repairs in the early 2010s, right now it's my most used CD player since it has a digital out and I can use it as simple CD-drive and connect it to my DACs (OPPO DAC and Soekris DAC) once in a while.

In 2003 acquired a full 2nd hand Naim Olive set up with a CD2 included. The CD2 plays on the same level like the CD94 and thankfully never had any issues despite changing the puck.

Finally around 2010/2011 gathered a full Naim Olive reference set up (52/SC/135s) from different 2nd hand sources with a CDS2/XPS and a CDi as CD players. The CDi is still in original, excellent shape while the CDS2 now needs a repair (it's not the drive, developed a nasty hum in one channel) but I have hesitated to do so since I have the other 3 CD players mentioned available.

There were times when I thought soundwise the CDS2 was clearly ahead to the other 3 players but this could be an auto suggestion since later I performed serious tests between the CD players and had to notice all players perform at the same sound quality level. Of course there are sound differences (especially between the Marantz and the Naims) but for me it comes down to personal taste and there is no clear winner.

My 2 cents, McN

Rotel RCD 965 BXii
Audiomeca Damnation SE CDT & Elixir DAC
Meridian 596 (DVD player but used for listening to CDs as well)

Much love for the quaint old eighties format still here on this thread.

Funny to think how back in its introduction there was considerable animosity from the analogue die hards.

Even today, the sound for your pound is hard to beat. With golden oldie players going for beer money and cds going for pocket change.

It's proper hifi with high end sound quality, hard to beat at the price.

I have the 915 which apparently adds a bit of 'fullness' to the sound over the 715. It's a nice listen but isn't really in the same league as my 337 or X7 though. Best player I've heard personally is MikeP's 555 - far from 'stock' though'!

Much love for the quaint old eighties format still here on this thread.

Funny to think how back in its introduction there was considerable animosity from the analogue die hards.

Even today, the sound for your pound is hard to beat. With golden oldie players going for beer money and cds going for pocket change.

It's proper hifi with high end sound quality, hard to beat at the price.

I bought a CDP-101 on the back of a quick listen to Dire Straits (Love Over Gold I think) as I was desperate to get away from pops and crackles etc. Alongside my LP12 (a fairly basic one) it was horrendous in comparison as was every player I listened to until the Karik/Numerik was launched. That's when I got into CD albeit eventually via a Naim player and I have never looked back... have 12,000 plus CDs. I know streaming and downloads are the modern way and the future, but give me a good cheap physical format like CD any day.

I bought a CDP-101 on the back of a quick listen to Dire Straits (Love Over Gold I think) as I was desperate to get away from pops and crackles etc. Alongside my LP12 (a fairly basic one) it was horrendous in comparison as was every player I listened to until the Karik/Numerik was launched. That's when I got into CD albeit eventually via a Naim player and I have never looked back... have 12,000 plus CDs. I know streaming and downloads are the modern way and the future, but give me a good cheap physical format like CD any day.

That 's quite a collection. How do you choose which one to play ? :)

That 's quite a collection. How do you choose which one to play ? :)

LOL, I actually have about 500 in the 'current playlist' collection and the rest filed in alphabetical order. What's fun is my friends come round (and their teenage kids) and they love pulling a few CDs off the shelves that they haven't heard for years (or have heard about and never listened to in the case of the kids) and we have a listening session.... that doesn't seem to happen with streaming to the same level.

Accuphase DP-70
Sony SCD-1
Marantz CD7
AcousticPlan Vadi

I've personally owned all 4 players amongst others, but these stood out as being something special as one box CD players...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back