• Thorens

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Vertere

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 116 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow ! Which one ( s ) do you like best ?. Kuzma caught my eye on that list !
Obviously the kuzma is the best deck but they all offer something unique. The idlers do drive so well so the 401/301 along with the td124’s are probably just behind, the sansui, aphason, td125 and SL10 close behind.

Nottingham Analogue Dais c/w 2 tonearms a Bokrand 12" and SPU GE, and a FR64s with a AT33 Mono
Technics SL1200G with a Ortofon Rondo Bronze
Modded Lenco 75 with Jelco 750D and a Tonar Diaboliqe MM cart

20240303-131145.jpg

Prometheus Audio

Nottingham Analogue Dais c/w 2 tonearms a Bokrand 12" and SPU GE, and a FR64s with a AT33 Mono
Technics SL1200G with a Ortofon Rondo Bronze
Modded Lenco 75 with Jelco 750D and a Tonar Diaboliqe MM cart
Is that listed in preference ?

My record deck history includes Ariston RD80, Linn LP12 with Grace arm, AR EB101, Logic DM101, Pink Triangle PT1

Neither of my two current decks are included in the list or have been mentioned thus far
they are :
Origin Live Resolution Classic MKII fitted with an OL Illustrious MKIII arm
Acoustic Signature Manfred MKII fitted with an AS TA-700 arm

Linn LP12 / ITTOK LV11 with Ortofon MC30 Supper II. - It's a bit of a Pfaff to use and it needs servicing occasionally to stay at its best performance. Also, if you live in warm humid environment, corrosion on the drive pully can be a major issue. When not using the deck, I remove the belt and leave the deck with the drive belt loose on top of platter matt, humidity can accumulate between the belt and the aluminium pully causing the aluminium to corrode. Having said all that, It still makes music in its own special way and for all its issues I just can't bring myself to sell it.

Technics SL1210 Mk2 with Ortofon 2M Bronze. - Awesome deck that just gets the job done. Easy to use, set and forget functionality with a high tolerance to setup variations makes this my go to turntable. It's always ready to make music with a minimum of fuss.

Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB with AT-VM95E. - Recently purchased for ripping vinyl to Digital files for my portable music player.
It's not perfect, while its plinth is solid and includes a mass damper in the base it is still predominately plastic and can sometimes fell a little insubstantial when placed against my other decks. However, it does have a very stable and quiet direct drive motor, a reasonable tone arm as well as an SL1200 look and feal. It is also my only deck that will do 78 RPM, With the option of getting a 78 stylus for the AT-VM95E for very little coin it can also become a very good archivists / 78 rpm playback tool. Plus or minus 16% pitch variation will also cover the range of vintage discs that were not always recorded at exactly 78 RMP.
The AT-LP120XUSB is not a giant killer, but it's also not particularly expensive either, the performance to price ratio makes it a good starter deck and I would highly recommend it to someone just starting out in vinyl on a limited budget. I'm actually using it for casual listening and I'm enjoying it for its ability to just make music with a minimum of fuss and fiddling.

LPSpinner.

Garrard 301 and Collaro 4T200:

@Beobloke can you tell us more about your 201s? I once could have bought one for £50, but passed. To this day I still wonder if I should have bought it. Think it was the original 78 only version.
The ones I have currently are in pieces but i have 3 motors (2 working, one not) and one standard platter assembly, two extended heavy duty BBC platter assemblies and two extended heavy duty BBC platter units with the instant start facility. The eventual intent is to make up as many working units as I can, keep one and sell the rest, plus the additional bits.

As an aside, I used to own an absolutely mint, late 3 speed version - the 201B/5. It was astonishingly quiet in operation and once warmed up for about 10 minutes ran perfectly at 33, 45 or 78 rpm without the merest flicker of variation. Sadly, after owning it for many years and doing absolutely nothing with it, despite many grand plans, I felt it would be better off with someone else. I sold it to John Howes, from whom I bought it in the first place!

Recommendations for best value for money turntable up to approx £200 (open to buying from the used market)?

Options are limited at that budget, but worth looking at some vintage stuff dependent on condition. That money should buy a very clean and well cared for Pioneer PL12D or Trio KD1033. Decent quality very simple and reliable 1970s belt-drive Japanese decks. I’d take a genuinely near-mint example of either over a lot of other options for £200. That budget should run to a new AT95-level cart too. As ever with record decks condition is absolutely critical.

Thanks, will have a look. Any massive differences to be aware of between Rega 1/2/3?
You need to bear in mind that the Planar2 and 3 have been in production for forty years and have changed in that time. Modern decks sound better than old ones but that doesn't mean old ones are poor.

The P1 is your starting point and a great sounding turntable. The main downside is that the build quality is significantly lower than either the current P2/3 or the older decks. The RB100-series arm is a cheap assembly with a plastic headshell, platter is plastic etc but despite that it sounds great. Pretty close to an older Planar2 due to other advances like the 24v motor and lighter, stiffer plinth. You'll enjoy one of these but it's an entry deck and nothing else.

The older Planar2 is better made with a glass platter and excellent RB250 tonearm which is good enough to take just about any cartridge. One thing of note is that a lot of these had plinths which were only laminated on the top, easy to spot as the underside is brown. If kept somewhere damp the plinth can warp. Has a warmer, less detailed sound than..

The older Planar3. Thicker plinth, thicker glass platter and better RB300 arm. Has a tighter, more dynamic sound than the 2. As reliable as anything, caps in the PSU can go but even that is rare and pennies to fix. A deck for life.

Modern P2 or 3 are great but you won't get one for £200. You will get P1 or an older Planar2 for £200, maybe a Planar3 but increasingly unlikely. Avoid the RP1. It's not terrible but sounds a bit dull as it had the downgrades, arm and plastic platter, without the 24v motor which claws back some performance and they tend to sell for not much less than the better P1.

Wow, that detailed response is very much appreciated! I will see if I can stretch my budget and try to find an older Planar 3. I'm early in my hi-fi journey and just getting into turntables, so this discussion has been helpful. Thanks all

advertisement

Back