advertisement

What the Fukishima is going on there?

er..the radioactive isotopes of cesium are not what makes granite radioactive, it's from thorium and uranium etc. It is cesium 134 and 137 in seawater that is worrying consumers.

er..the radioactive isotopes of cesium are not what makes granite radioactive, it's from thorium and uranium etc. It is cesium 134 and 137 in seawater that is worrying consumers.

I don't believe I made any statement as to what the source of radioactivity in granite was. I merely stated it was a natural source of radioactivity, which it is.

Let them worry, I'll stick to science thanks. The science is that the amount of radioactivity measured in the Tuna thus far is far far lower than the amount of radioactivity sitting on the banana shelf of your local supermarket. I have no intention of putting on a protective suit to walk down the fruit and veg isle of Sainsbury's. I suggest people find something more important to worry about. For example the mercury levels in fresh Tuna is of far more concern.

" It is a compound that does occur naturally in nature, however, the levels of cesium found in the tuna in 2012 had levels 3 percent higher than is usual."

Same article. So much for the OMG WE MUST ALL PANIC COS WE GONNA DIE FROM RADIATION POISONING headline. Fresh Tuna is also relatively high in Mercury.

3% means, if we didn't need to worry about it before we don't need to worry about it now.

BTW here's another one, factual too.

"All homes built on granite rock foundations are radioactive"
from what I understand which as usual is fvck all ingesting radioactive stuffs is a whole different kettle o tuna fish than external exposure.

from what I understand which as usual is fvck all ingesting radioactive stuffs is a whole different kettle o tuna fish than external exposure.

Depends on the level of radioactivity. We all happily eat bananas & brazil nuts. They're about as radioactive as the tuna.

Chris

Pointer about background radiation figs going up

Fracking fluids and water are retuning to surace with 'dissolved' Radon radiation

Some states ( Pennsylvania?) have wavers on subtarreanean frack chemical/fluid burial - I think these surface disposal waivers are rationalised by dint of hard underground geology - its what would likely happen in the northern part of England/Scotland and hard rock areas of Europe

In some US locations reactor 'waste' is long reported as being used in frack injection fluids. Same companies in both sectors of the energy market.

- I doubt its safe to assume this policy is being policed as all these frack fluids analysis are 'commercially sensitive' so off the radar in the open media or pubic mind - brought to you by both ends of your energy sector.

Oh yes its a a thread about Fukushima ... I forgot

You're right, there is a significant difference. Damage due to exposure to radiation works in much the same way as damage due to exposure to sound. Low levels can be tolerated almost indefinitely, moderate levels do damage over an extended period of exposure, high levels do damage very quickly. The only difference in the analogy is that radiation comes in three forms (sound doesn't) and each has distinctly different risk factors relating to exposure.

Tell that to the poor buggers who die of lung cancer caused by breathinh naturally occuring radon emitted by the granite below where their houses are built.

Chris

reports of the yakusa nuclear management and clean up (slave) brigades are needing to 'recruit' and import 'workers' from abroad

a sort of send us your huddled masses scenario

catch your own food for free take your pick of lots of local housing

and then selling the metal via unflagged scrap merchants to export to china

(Maybe the sleepers present in whose mouths butter will not melt
like to buy cheap saucepans from China)

and criminally milking the taxpayers of billions in return whilslt working for tepco and government all along

meanwhile food from fuchushima is declared radiation free by the yakusa

same scenes in the usa where decommissioning is a soprano affair

advertisement

Back