advertisement

What price nostalgia for beloved NAC52

James, buy it back for sentimental reasons and to help out your friend's widow. Then keep it in a box.
Like at the end of Indiana Jones
latest

Also, I'd say don't buy the 52. You made the call to sell the Naim at some point. Don't let nostalgia rule your world! If you do you’ll probably end up with a full olive stack again (in addition to everything else) and then start to wonder why.
I sold the Naim when I realised the NAP135s weren't enough for my Ergo E-Vs, and the Naim dealer suggested I needed a NAP300. Before then, I was completely happy with 52/SC/135, even if I wasn't at all convinced by the CDS2. The rest of the fallout had more to do with the personalities involved rather than the kit itself. I still run a Naim'd LP12 and keep a NAIT2 for shits and giggles.

For me, James, it's a simple question. Will I really use it? If not, and it's only a 'souvenir' of nostalgia, then I'd pass.
That's the most rational advice so far. Thanks, hockman.

I suppose I'd use the remote controlled switching and volume. Neither the C-21 or CTA-301 preamps are remote controlled, but that's me justifying a reason rather demonstrating an actual need.

James, let me do you a favour, since you got me stuck with Naim Separates, when I could have stayed blissfully ignorant with the integrated!

Don't even bother going down this path. The cons outweigh the pros. You'd need to get the power supply, and all that extra faffing around getting it serviced and such. You'll end up destabilizing your system (like what happened with me for a little while). If you moved it on, you had a reason to do it. No point having regrets and trying to revisit it. If you really decide to do all this, you might put it in and then think, it wasn't as good as you remembered.
I hear a late NAC52 is better than a new NAC282, and goes really well with a NAP300. Know anyone looking for another upgrade :D?

Even if you are not sure I’d buy it and buy an Olive Supercap which will cost around the £1200 mark. Even if you then sell it on you will make money on it. Most looking for a 52 will expect it to come with a Naim power supply and preferably serviced although priced accordingly unserviced. Priced right you will have no problem selling the combo. This way both you and your friends family are winners. Heck you might even decide to keep it and take a trip down memory lane.

Darran at Class A in Sheffield is the only Naim approved servicer in the UK and will service for a lot less than Naim. Also turnaround is usually a week. Email him for a quote. He responds pretty quickly.

Even if you are not sure I’d buy it and buy an Olive Supercap which will cost around the £1200 mark. Even if you then sell it on you will make money on it.
How can you assume that without knowing the details? What about shipping costs and risks, time and effort photographing and advertising, dealing with flaky buyers, etc.? I know we like to ignore those things when rationalizing.

@James, I think you need to hook up an enthusiastic PFMer with this deal and skip it yourself. I’ve gotten to the point where having stuff lying around and going through the hassle of trying to sell it makes me really think when I’m tempted by a new (old) thing.

Darran at Class A in Sheffield is the only Naim approved servicer in the UK and will service for a lot less than Naim. Also turnaround is usually a week. Email him for a quote. He responds pretty quickly.
I'm on the other side of the planet from Sheffield, so that won't work out to be a cost-effective option.

@James, I think you need to hook up an enthusiastic PFMer with this deal and skip it yourself. I’ve gotten to the point where having stuff lying around and going through the hassle of trying to sell it makes me really think when I’m tempted by a new (old) thing.
There are few and far between in New Zealand. It's what I've been trying to do to offload it, but no bites even for a paltry NZD2.3K starting price.

One more thing...

52/SC/135s are the classic combination, and what I wanted for many years. However, after comparing actual SQ, several of us have decided that 52/SC/300DR is actually better - quieter, more detailed, tighter bass control and just as addictively foot-tapping/ head-banging. I have heard 252/SC/300DR combos and prefer the 52. However, I have used B&W, Neat and Shahinian speakers - with more demanding loads, you might get different answers.

The Nac52 is great with Densen power amps. B330+ in my case. Not a surprise really.
Not familiar with Densen pre amps.

Might I remind you that I bought a brand new 52, running with a used Super-Cap that had been recapped. I also had a CDS2/XPS, but sold that when I realized I was usually listening to my Squeezebox with an external DAC (initially a Scott Nixon Chibi Saru).

One day I got the Benchmark DAC2, which is also able to be a preamp (with its many digital and 2 analog inputs). I tried the DAC2 through the 52, then directly into my 135s. The difference was astounding, and I immediately sold the 52+Super.

For a long time the DAC2 served my needs in my main system, and now it's in my secondary system. I made the change because I upgraded to a Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, and I felt silly using the DAC2 only for its analog inputs. I got a deal on a Benchmark HPA4, which I think is better that the 52/Super ever was.

Therefore, I suggest you ignore your nostalgic desires. :)

Last edited:
I hear a late NAC52 is better than a new NAC282,
I listened to the 52, 282, 252 and 552 when I was last shopping (almost 20 years ago). I preferred the 52 to the 282/252 (the 282 wasn't even close). The 52 was darned close to the 552. Unfortunately after months and months of waiting for a 52 to come available, I gave up and got a 252 (couldn't afford a 552). I'm happy with what I've got but if I was looking for a first rate preamp, I'd seriously consider a 52 (yes, it'll need recapping and there are quite a few caps in there!)

The Nac52 is great with Densen power amps. B330+ in my case. Not a surprise really. Not familiar with Densen pre amps.
I got the B-350s first (to replace NAP135s) and for a brief period drove them with my NAC52. The B-250 came next. I recall it sounded very clear but slightly sterile and matter-of-fact. By then, I had already committed to the change, and I convinced myself that the B-250 was an upgrade.

advertisement

Back