advertisement

What price nostalgia for beloved NAC52

With your impressive talents James, perhaps you should buy the 52/SC from Wairarapa, recap all three and keep the best two (.....and while you are at it, let me know if I can twist your arm to do a couple more boxes ;) ). Perhaps selling a recapped older 52 would be easier .... or not, but I have seen serviced units disappear quicker here. Understandable given the faff involved in getting it done. I saw your bargain 52, and mentioned it to my accounts dept (meaning wife of course), but have had the brakes put on my upgraditis, plus power amp should be next on my wish list (as per a previous chat with you about Densen's vs. Naim's).
I'm barely able to justify one 52 sans Supercap; what would I do with two of them?:confused:

In other news, I visited my widow friend today to pick up a remote for the NAC52 and explained to her it was not getting any bites at auction because it doesn't have a suitable PSU. We both felt it shouldn't be given away in a no-reserve auction as it's worth at least a couple of Kiwi big ones. Then she asked if I wanted it for myself. I couldn't lie, so I asked what she'd like for it - recognising it wasn't selling at NZD2.3K.

She smiled and said "it's yours".

:eek:

Oh my!

@James - Enjoy! Makes a lot of sense. There's no point selling something below what it is really worth. You'll have to keep an eye out for an appropriate SC.

@James - Enjoy! Makes a lot of sense. There's no point selling something below what it is really worth. You'll have to keep an eye out for an appropriate SC.
I think I will try and find a Naim Supercap rather than compromise with a Teddy SC because I really liked what a 52/Super does.

Post-script

When my friend is ready to re-install the hifi in her new home later in the year, I will buy her an automatic turntable to play the small collection of records she was left with. She was not confident using the WT Versalex, so I sold that for her (along with a couple of DV MCs and a Pure Audio Vinyl phono amp) with all proceeds going back to her. The replacement TT would be my return gift to her so she can play her partner's favourite records.

Does anyone have ideas for a simple but decent automatic turntable that she can use? I was thinking about something along the lines of a Technics SL-1500C but better yet if it has a built-in phono stage. It'll be keeping company with a Naim CD555 for CD-replay, and fed into Naim 552/500. But we all know vinyl already has an upper hand in quality, right?

I'd appreciate your ideas as it's been over 30 years since I went shopping for a TT.

I am a huge fan of Technics turntables and the 1500C is a great choice. Doesn't it come with a built-in phono or am I missing something? I think there are Audio Technica models that have built-in phono stage but they will be much inferior especially in the company of the CD555!

I think I will try and find a Naim Supercap rather than compromise with a Teddy SC because I really liked what a 52/Super does.
I’d recommend contacting a uk dealer as I believe that power supplies are exempt from import duty at your end so you would only pay for shipping and insurance. No idea what that would cost but worth an email.

I am a huge fan of Technics turntables and the 1500C is a great choice. Doesn't it come with a built-in phono or am I missing something?
I've just checked the online blurb, and yes the SL1500C comes with an in-built phono stage, which can also be bypassed.

Ideal for an automatic in that company would be a serviceable Technics SL10.

The SL1500 seems to have just a simple auto end of side lifter, which may not be sufficiently auto for this application.

Ideal for an automatic in that company would be a serviceable Technics SL10.
Ironically, long before he got serious about hifi, my friend had an SL10. But I take your point about fully automatic operation vs end-of-side liftoff.

Ironically, long before he got serious about hifi, my friend had an SL10. But I take your point about fully automatic operation vs end-of-side liftoff.

Looks like the Pro-Ject Automat A1 might fit the bill. Fully auto with built in phono preamp.

Thinking ahead, there is another quandary. The hifi will be reinstalled in a Fraim, whereas the original set up had the electronics in a custom stand located in the corner of the room and the TT on an adjacent wall shelf. I'm not sure exactly where there electronics will be located yet, but there is a chance a wall shelf won't do. The top shelf of the Fraim will have to house the top-loading CD555.

I think I'll worry about the TT after the hifi is reinstalled and then figure out what we have to work with or around.

advertisement

Back