advertisement

What is your favourite Royd speaker

If there's no continuity, then there must be a break in the voice coil wire. All the Royd minstrel drivers i've seen look like the non-working unit. I've never seen a Royd Minstrel driver with red stuff around the inside of the cone. It looks like it's been bodged to me.
The midbass drivers were hand doped by Joe Acroyd to achieve the correct crossover slope to match the tweeters and are connected directly to the amp without a crossover (the tweeter does have a crossover though). The chances of finding an off-the-shelf driver that will work is incredibly slim. I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a driver anywhere that would work properly.

If it were me, I'd sell them as spares or repairs (probably on ebay or here) and buy another working pair.

The cabinets are in good condition and the tweeters are functioning. As they were an inheritance, I'd rather try and reuse them to make a new speaker, the FrankenRoyd! I'll never get the Royd sound back, but i just might get some good speakers out of it in the end.
Thank you for your help.

Minstrel - little else offered so much from such a low investment. They were my first "real" speakers and sounded great behind an LP12 and Naim 42/110.

Minstrel - little else offered so much from such a low investment. They were my first "real" speakers and sounded great behind an LP12 and Naim 42/110.

Me too with a very similar 32.5/110. Another speaker I should not have sold. I even had the special cradles for them.

My favorite Royd is the Herald. For my surprise nobody mentions these really nice speakers. I still own Minstrels, Edens and Conistons. They are driven by Creek 4140s2 and Ion Onelisk 100. Bass from the Herald and Minstre is tight and deep. Eden and Coniston are better in the midrange, but produce light bass.

Only owned Edens and Minstrels. Your Creek amp should help with light bass since it boosts the bass a bit.

Where does the Herald fit in the timeline? They look quite neat.

I'm particularly keen to hear the Coniston R one day.

Sintra first series, they just had a way of getting to the sole of a piece of music, used them with Ion Obelisk amps and a Xerxes.

Sounds like a Chris Brooks system...

My first was Ion Obelisk 1 with Planar 2 and initially demmed with a pair of A7 IIs. A bit too lightweight for me so within a very limited budget I settled on the fuller sounding 'The Seven'.

Never heard any of the others.

I’ve had RR3s & Eden’s they were great speakers at the time used them with obelisk 3 & xpac purchased from Chris Brooks Audio in fact I think I still have Eden’s in my Dads loft.

A pair of RR3s with stands are on sale for $780. Is it worth trying?

Absolutely.

I believe RR range were the last speakers made by Royd.
RR3 were 83db efficiency, so will need a decent amp.
Possible no spares for them anymore

A pair of RR3s with stands are on sale for $780. Is it worth trying?

Absolutely. Best standmounts I have ever used. I got mine for £650 I think...

There are now spares available, as the tweeter has been re-released by Peerless (D26NC-56-06). I have a pair just in case.

They are highly damped speakers and low efficiency, so indeed 'wake up' with grippy and powerful amps.

I still have a pair of Royd Sorcerers (having owned Minstrels & Sapphire MK1s too), which I do enjoy, but the RR3s are a level up for sure, with a low end that is surprisingly deep, full and tight for a standmount, with a more refined top end. Still boogie though. ;)

Yup, I really like my RR3. Now that I know there are tweeter spares, I might pick up a couple spares as well.

advertisement

Back