advertisement

What is your favourite Royd speaker

Only Royd i have ever owned was a brand new pair of Coniston R, about 30 years ago. I replaced them with Linn Kans which were hugely better. I have since had a hankering to try some other Royd models, but they don't come up too often.

I have only ever heard a pair of special edition Minstrels when a friend brought his pair over for a long weekend years ago when i was running passive SBLs
Very impressed with them.
Lovely SQ little floor standing speaker but no good if you want to play LOUD.

I auditioned both Minstrels and Doublets some years ago, and the Minstrels sounded a little "light" compared to the Doublets, which are still with me, and are the only Royds I've had.
Occasionally regret selling my HB1s, but never got round to putting them on decent stands.
Hey ho.

Hi guys, bumping this thread, cause I need a replacement 5" Royd driver in my Rega ELA MK1. Should be the same driver units used in the Apex. Anyone here has a spare driver or even a pair they would sell? Maybe even a complete speaker set? Let me know :)

Hi guys, bumping this thread, cause I need a replacement 5" Royd driver in my Rega ELA MK1. Should be the same driver units used in the Apex. Anyone here has a spare driver or even a pair they would sell? Maybe even a complete speaker set? Let me know :)

They are hard to come buy, I managed to blow one Royd unit in my early Ela, sold the speakers as spares unfortunately.
Bit crazy selling as I could have helped others or kept for own spare stock if I ever got those speakers again.

Not sure if the Rega RR125 unit will match, I have one lying around and they are available in retail for RS range, look around, sure you would need identical pair.

I head a pair of Minstrels at a friend's house.
He is a well-known amplifier/power supplies designer who also had worked
on loudspeakers.
I was surprised just how good they were, running from a Garrard 401/Ittok/MC cartridge through a Quad 33/303.
I was tempted to but a pair of the little Royds...

Haven't heard many, but I loved the RR2s I had. Very high boogie factor. Comprehensively beaten by the SL2s that replaced them though.

Yeah the RR series do boogie if you have the power. They aren't as up-front as the earlier models like the Minstrel, Sorcerer and especially Sapphire, but in terms of long term listening enjoyment and overall balance the RR3s are still my favourite.

Haven't heard as many as I'd like and only owned one pair, Abbots, which were OK.

Would love to hear some of the better thought of models like Minstrels, Eden, Sorcerer, Sintra etc..

Have Sintra's now and used Coniston R's for many years. My vote is for Coniston R simply because they were so good for the money. I bought mine new because they out gunned the Kan's to my ears and were kind on the wallet.
Sintra's are better speakers but were significantly more expensive.

I find Royds are a little like a decent camera lens - my favourite is the one I happen to be using at the time. :)

I've had...

Merlin
Minstrels (3 separate pairs)
Sapphire
Eden
Sintra II

Out of those - and at a push - I might take the Merlins, but am loving the Sintra II's. A speaker I've wanted to own for years, and they don't disappoint in any way. So lively, so musically-demonstrative, warts'n'all and I love'em for it. :cool:

Sheesh - they even work well on the end of Cyrus amplification. :D

I've owned (in increasing order of pleasure):
  • A7X
  • Seven
  • Squire
  • AV77 (center channel)
  • Merlin
  • Sintra 2
  • Minstrel SE
  • Albion
  • RR3
I should point out that the Albion is a bit more "punchy" than the RR3, whereas the RR3 is more sophisticated, so it depends on what you want. I sold my Albions to a friend, and I still miss them a bit.

Mike Hanson

advertisement

Back