advertisement

What is your current system? part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dev,

one of our great politician in Germany said: "I do not care about what I said yesterday because nobody can prevent that I'm more clever today." (hope the translation is correct)

I do not see any reason not to post here because all you mentioned is history.

It's an adult behavior to give open minded people another chance and sometimes more than one. In the old sauce agitate uses nobody.

So keep quiet about that old stuff and learn your lesson. ;)

Originally posted by Hermann
Dev,

one of our great politician in Germany said: "I do not care about what I said yesterday because nobody can prevent that I'm more clever today." (hope the translation is correct)

I do not see any reason not to post here because all you mentioned is history.

Herman,

Great politicians and Germany are a contradiction. Isn't German (and Italian) politics is a great example of nobody ever making a decision.

Mohandas K Gandhi once said 'it is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but we take in good heart whatever they might have to say.'

But you are German so all of that might be a bit lost on you ;)

regards

Dev

As ever I dont answer postings like that because he's trying to start it again.

This is a point for me 'cos I am clever.

Originally posted by Markus Sauer
Dev, are you serious or in wind-up mode?

Markus,

I am deadly serious about the Gandhi quote. :)

regards,

Dev

ps. hope you or all our fellow Germans aren't offended about my comments. My best friends are Germans, albeit the lefty Munich Architect types.

Originally posted by Hermann
As ever I dont answer postings like that because he's trying to start it again.

This is a point for me 'cos I am clever.

Herman,

The real point is that you don't like any comments that doesn't agree with your view of the world, but if you think I am moderating my style to make you feel better think again. ;)

Dev

Markus,

I am deadly serious about the Gandhi quote. :)

So glad you can be serious about something. Of course, then you have to spoil it all by getting it totally wrong ...

ps. hope you or all our fellow Germans aren't offended about my comments. My best friends are Germans, albeit the lefty Munich Architect types.

Of course I'm deeply, deeply offended. Otherwise, I'd have to admit I have a sense of humour, and that's just not done with us Germans.

Number 1

LP12 Aro Lyra Lydian B Prefix Armageddon Hicap
32.5 Hicap
NAT 101 Snaps
CD2
Ixo
2 X 250
IBL

Number 2

Sony CDP
Nytech CTA252XD
Rega Kytes

Bob

My system:-

LP12 (Cirkus)/ Ekos-II/ Dynavector TeKaitora/ Armageddon/ Stageline (K)/ HiCap. Pre-lilac interconnect.

CDS2/ XPS. Lilac interconnect.

52/ 52PS/ SuperCap/ burndy/ SNAXO3-6/ 6x chrome bumper 135s.

Naim DBLs, black, 1994?

All black SNAICs & Burndys. 6x8m NAC A5.

LP12 on custom steel table. Armageddon & HiCap on AF Starbase. CDS2 / 52 / SNAXO on 4-tier Fraim. XPS, 52PS & SuperCap on Starbase. 135s on AF Base. Single mains spur - 10sq.mm cable with rhodium-plated 15A MK plug & socket and hydra.

135s serviced & matched as six-pack approx 1991. 52, 52PS, 135s & Armageddon serviced mid-1999. 52PS re-capped August 2001. SNAXO serviced & converted for DBLs January 2002. New tweeters on DBLs mid-2002.

System changes:- Sept '00:- CDS2/CDPS replaced CDX. October '01:- StarBase & Base replaced welded steel racks. December '01:- DBL's/SNAXO3-6 replaced Isobariks/NAXO3-6. June '02:- Black burndy replaced grey on 52. December '02:- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum 24 bit sound card installed in PC (192 KHz stereo & 96 KHz six-channel replay / 96 KHz stereo recording). February '03:- XPS replaced CDPS (CDS1 power supply). SuperCap/SNAIC replaced HiCap on SNAXO. TeKaitora replaced AT ART1 cart. April '03:- Black Burndy replaced SNAIC-5 between SuperCap & SNAXO. July '03:- Fraim replaced Starbase under CDS2 / 52 / SNAXO. Prefix (still) waiting to be serviced and replace Stageline.

2nd system:-
Arcam Alpha CD and Black Box 3, NAIT-2, Kan-1's on KAN-2 stands.

Always wanted a bigger room as I bought my 802's knowing that they were too big for my room in Scotland, but I was planning ahead.

Recently moved to Kuala Lumpur and got an apartment with a huge living room - c. 50ft x 40ft with vaulted ceiling. Result - too big damnit. It needs a lot of dampening down ( I suppose curtains would help!!)

System is

CDS2 / XPS2 / SXPS i/c
LP12 / Valahalla / Ittok / Lyra Clavis dc / prefix / Hi-cap
52 / Scap
135's and B&W N802, plus Fraim

Colin Lorenson

Originally posted by Colin L
Always wanted a bigger room as I bought my 802's knowing that they were too big for my room in Scotland, but I was planning ahead.

Recently moved to Kuala Lumpur and got an apartment with a huge living room - c. 50ft x 40ft with vaulted ceiling. Result - too big damnit. It needs a lot of dampening down ( I suppose curtains would help!!)

System is

CDS2 / XPS2 / SXPS i/c
LP12 / Valahalla / Ittok / Lyra Clavis dc / prefix / Hi-cap
52 / Scap
135's and B&W N802, plus Fraim

Colin Lorenson
Very nice: the room and the equipment. How is the sound and are the 135s good enough for the 802 speakers?

Tuan,

The system now sounds better than it ever has despite the room problems. As I said curtains and a bit more furniture will help (my wife is coming out shortly to lend the place the woman's touch) so things will get better.

As you have hinted the 135's are probably the weakest link and I am looking at options to upgrade. The 135's drive the 802's well but sometimes sound a bit breathless. I think a more powerful amp might control the bass better as well.

Fortunately KL is blessed with lots of dealer options and I plan to try lots of different amps even (shock horror) non-Naim amps.

Candidates are NAP300, Bryston 14B, Plinius 250, ASL Hurricane (tubes for gods sake - just for a giggle though - I couldn't handle the pissing about with them), and even believe it or not the Halcro d68. The latter are mega-expensive but the dealer seems desperate to get them out on trial and says he can "do a deal" on them. Have to be one hell of a deal to make that work.

I'd like to stick with Naim but even the NAP300 is really quite expensive compared to some of the other cheaper, more powerful options. Still power isn't everything as we know.

I'm looking forward to the demo's (work allowing). They should be much fun

Colin Lorenson

Some of this stuff will, no doubt, get me "de-bagged and raddished" on the flat earth...

LP12 (pre-cirkus) Valhalla Aro Karma (phase7)

CD3.5 HiCap (phase4 inc other sources/amps)
Sony POS tuner / MD ST-2
42.5 with at least 2 modifications inc 6-way power supply
MF XA-200 monoblock x4

Celestion A3 (phase3)

Chord and Mana Stealth cables
Nerdy power cables

Hi-fi set up disc, Antonio Forcione Collection and Brothers in arms.

OK - I lied about the last bit!

Originally posted by Colin L

Greetings Colin,

Long time no hear, now I know why, you are in KL! Hope you are well!

regards

Dev

Dev,

Like the tag line btw. I see you've been creating ructions, but in a nice way:D

KL is a fine city - it's warm, civilised, reasonably priced, and the CD's are cheap (though the selection is somewhat limited), plus lots of hi-fi shops to annoy. What more could a body ask for.

Oh! Work is good to.

Losing a few pounds as well due to complete lack of ability with chopsticks. Nearly had my eye out a couple of times:)

If you are out this way etc..

Colin

Colin L

Past issue of HiFi+ review mentioned that even the NAP300 has problem with the N802 speakers at high volume. It seems that the 802 need real power from Mark Levinson, Classe or Bryston mono blocks to drive them. In Canada, they show the N802 with those amplifiers and they sound amazing. If you have a chance please try those amps they are good match for your wonderful speakers.

Tuan,

I used to live in Canada ( I was a VI deadbeat), have heard Bryston many times and their 14B may be the best, and most affordable option for me. Audutioning will reveal all.

Since getting the 802's into a big room I now realise that previously they were only hinting at what they could do. The bass is much deeper, better quality, with the only criticism being at high volume. I believe this is power amp related.

The groove factor is much greater and the soundstage (oops - sorry for using the s-word on pfm) is huge, filling the space between the speakers and beyond. The notion that Naim can't do the soundstage thing is completely wrong. Their speakers don't do it well in a conventional sense, but their electronics certainly can with the right speaker. I've heard CDS2/552/500/N800's many times and that was better again, though even the 500 was running out of steam when cranked up!!

I will post when I audition.

Colin Lorenson

Here's mine, a bit different from the norm:-

DPA Enlightenment Transport (on Seismic Sink)
DPA SX128 24 bit DAC (on Seismic Sink)
DPA Enlightenment pre
DPA Enlightenment power amps x2 (biamped)
ProAc Response 1SC speakers
REL Stadium sub
Trichord Pulsewire Digital IC with Bullet plugs
Townshend Isolda DCT/DPA black slink ICs
Kimber 8TC/4TC
RA Reference Powerkords (x5)
RA superpurifier

Cheers, Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back