advertisement

What is your current system? part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ta.

It's nothing more exciting than a candle-holder, next to the hookah.

Where did this idea that girls/women don't like Mana come from? They do, in fact. My photo is crap, but check out fox's 'work in progress' thread on the Mana side. It actually looks great in the metal.

Impressive steel stockholding ya got there Bub.

What's the all up weight on that wall shelf? - Looks a bit scary.

You must have nerves to match the racks;)

Mr Tibbs

Yes, but I'm cheating.... it's bolted through to the stone wall with four very long high-tensile steel bolt things into pre-drilled holes which were filled with some kind of resin-based superglue. Literally a permanent fixture (famous last words).

It's been up and stayed faithfully 'in-tune' for 14 months.

With the floor stacks, phase 5 and a half reaches the top of the skirting-board, so it doesn't look terribly imposing, except the speakers which do have a slight attitude about them.

"It's been up and stayed faithfully 'in-tune' for 14 months."

Not trying to put the wind up you, just wouldn't like that lovely deck to hit the deck.:eek:

Mr Tibbs

PS Can you put up a pic of the speakers?

Take cover!

Church.jpg

Yeah, that's half the battle. In fact, these are faux speakers. Cunningly hidden inside is a pair of Kans.

My system as follows:

SME10
EAR 309 magnesium, silver wired throughout & silver phono
Lyra Dorian
EAR834P Deluxe & MC3 step-up
Custom valve pre (Audio Note UK design)
Custom monoblock SET's running 6B4G (non-production Audio Innovations First Audio)
Vandersteen 2CE Signature
LFD phono interconnect and speaker cables
Gutwire Basic power cables

Marantz CD63 MKII KIS
Yamaha CT-1010 classic tuner
Sennheiser HD600 with Cardas cable & MF X-Can V2

Ikea Corras tables

KAB-EV1 record cleaner - indispensible! ...(but probably going to be replaced by Clearaudio Smart Matrix)

Paul

Nice system Paul. Good to someone using Cadence speakers. I only heard these at shows. They look gorgeous and should sound great in the right system.

Thanks, I had only heard Anina's before which walked all over my Opera Superpavarotti's in terms of insight and resolution, take for granted that the scale of sound was incomparable. I could not afford them at the time though.

The Amaya's are bigger brothers weighing in at 37kg each, it was no fun carrying them! but as spiked floorstanders, they were at least manageable and you can move them around to tune them.

To sit in front of them you expect to be blown through the window and some yards beyond but very deceptive. Much smoother and more relaxing than any speaker I have previously owned or borrowed through the years but it is the sheer insight from top to bottom that continues to amaze. The first thing I learned playing Tchaikowsky Piano Concerto no.1 (Martha Argerich on DG Tulip) was that my poor old Rohmann had gone in the treble so I switched to Van Morrison Into the Mystic to be kind. Same conclusion. I checked the Rohmann and cleaned it with my Goldring Ultra-sonic to find the problem solved. I have always kept the stylus clean but this was an education.

I then thought I needed to turn the volume up only to find the dynamics come in when they are supposed to. Incredibly revealing of all that is upstream and they love the class A single-ended valves of the S6 which is thankfully powerful enough to drive them as they are 91db at 8ohms. And of course being Indian and little known £850 was 1/4 of their price new 4 years ago. The popular brands would be yielding a far higher percentage I am sure, irrespective of how they would compete.

I could go on. Yes, I'm really taken with them!

Tonearm re-wiring
Add-on NAS upgrade platter

What makes you want to rewire the Spacearm? I believe it’s got a silver loom without any joints as is. The wiring looks scarily thin though.

Have you tried the platter upgrade? The audioasylum geeks seem to think it overpriced for what it delivers, preferring the much cheaper Boston ‘Mat 1’ or Living voice ‘Mystic Mat’, both of which are carbon graphite similar to the Nottingham upgrade platter, but are far less thick and much cheaper. I’ve not heard any of them so have no opinion whatsoever.

It looks like Nottingham are getting into PSUs too, there is one available that is meant to be a big upgrade. I'm in no rush to upgrade mine, but when I do I'll probably figure out how to make a DIY Geddon for it.

Tony.

Sources:
LP12 Ittok goldring 1042 on target wall stand
Numark TT-100 dj turntable w/stanton groovemaster II
Pioneer PL42 tt w/Shure M91 cartridge
Naim cd 3.5
Classic cd burner
Nakamichi cassette deck 2
Roland sp-202 digital sampler

naim 72/hicap

135's

Apogee Centaurus Minor speakers
--------------------------------
system 2
Denon 425 cd player (cheap)
Vintage Luxman 1055 receiver (about 24 years old)
KLH model six speakers. (30 yrs old? or more?)
this system originally had some problems with "intermittent" static and channel dropout which seems to have repaired itself by being left on all the time...

vpi 16.5 record cleaning machine

Lots of vinyl and fair number of cd's

I am led to believe that the cable is cheap and cheerful and is a real weak spot including the connectors. Ears I trust and take guidance from tell me that a startling improvement can be had from the likes of a cardas re-wiring with quality connectors.

I too have heard mixed views on the upgrade platter. One side says it gives you 70% of what a hyperspace brings over the spacedeck, the other says it becomes dark.

I have also heard mixed views on the psu. Again, modifying Tom's existing motor to accept an IEC plug and then using a decent power cable is said to bring dividends.

Needless to say, I would/will listen to all of the aspirations I listed over time without changing blindly.

Paul

Audio Analogue Puccini SE
Rotel 1070
Audio Physic Spark II
Townshend isolda
Rega Planar 3 (Ortofon 53 Mrk II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back