advertisement

What is it with hi-fi forums and "not liking rap"?

It’s not up for debate, pretty much all the mega sized current artists come from this idiom, have you been asleep for the last decade or so?

Yes, Adele, but have you seen Rihanna’s net worth? Most of the big ‘white’ acts are largely heritage.
I listen to something else, I don’t watch TV, I don’t listen to mainstream radios. No rap on radio 4.

Why does every non hifi discussion end up with the same people shouting foul and claiming the moral high ground while liberally hurling accusations of bigotry, racism, misogyny, homophobia etc etc. Some of you should take a long look in the mirror, some of the politically slanted posts are unbelievable venom filled diatribes from a twisted and blinkered perspective, I'm frankly shocked by the crap that's posted by some who genuinely believe they speak the one and only truth, any discord being met with fervent bigotry and personal insults.

I was brought up as the only white family in a large black community. Reggae, Afrobeat, Dance Hall, RnB has been sound of my life. To this day I am still exploring the genre, rap has always been a fav. But today, drum'n'bass, jungle, ragga, drill dominates my listening.

There is no music that I would state I detest. There is plenty I dislike - Beatles, not for me. Rolling Stones, nope, Led Zep, maybe. The Who, no, Black Sabath, in short bursts.....Nirvana, yes.....

very few of my white friends share my taste in music - we have talked about this extensively, i do believe there is an element of racism in this among a certain middle age group.

Name me some rap music that is clever, edifying, melodic, uplifting, and a splash of originality - then I will investigate.

Andrew

Why does every non hifi discussion end up with the same people shouting foul and claiming the moral high ground while liberally hurling accusations of bigotry, racism, misogyny, homophobia etc etc. Some of you should take a long look in the mirror, some of the politically slanted posts are unbelievable venom filled diatribes from a twisted and blinkered perspective, I'm frankly shocked by the crap that's posted by some who genuinely believe they speak the one and only truth, any discord being met with fervent bigotry and personal insults.
It’s an age thing - Oops,that’s torn it!

Name me some rap music that is clever, edifying, melodic, uplifting, and a splash of originality - then I will investigate.

Andrew
I know zilch about rap, but crying similar to friend with very eclectic tastes, he sent me The Streets A Grand Don't Come For Free. Years later, I can't help but agree with him, and it still gets played often.

I'm surprised at the number of people who still don't understand what the OP said and are continuing to get riled up about what they only think was said.

I'll admit that does happen perhaps too often on pfm. However I do think that my reading and comprehension skills are fairly well developed. What specifically might be misconstrued in the original post?

What absolute rubbish.

I don’t think it’s rubbish. There really is a tendency for people to declaim certain things - in this case rap, but IMO sometimes other things too - in what can seem like a performative, signalling way. It’s not the same as simply not liking something, that’s the OP’s point.

Not everyone does it, of course not, but it does seem to happen, and I can see the OP’s point now after reading through the thread more than I could initially.

That doesn’t stop the opposite being true as well - lots of posters = lots of different views, and for example I’d probably not have heard the brilliance that is To Pimp a Butterfly had it not been for Tony’s posts about it.

You can disagree with the OP’s point, of course, but it’s not complete rubbish.

It’s not up for debate, pretty much all the mega sized current artists come from this idiom, have you been asleep for the last decade or so?

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but the last decade (and longer) I've been in places where the mega-sized current artists don't get played. My own collection. Classic rock stations. Classic FM. Other households where other genres are the dominant listening habit. I don't know anyone in my family or social circle that likes Rap. There's a host of names that I see mentioned in the press, or in music coverage of awards, but they mean nothing to me, and I see no cause to remember them, nor investigate what they do.

I was brought up as the only white family in a large black community. Reggae, Afrobeat, Dance Hall, RnB has been sound of my life. To this day I am still exploring the genre, rap has always been a fav. But today, drum'n'bass, jungle, ragga, drill dominates my listening.

There is no music that I would state I detest. There is plenty I dislike - Beatles, not for me. Rolling Stones, nope, Led Zep, maybe. The Who, no, Black Sabath, in short bursts.....Nirvana, yes.....

very few of my white friends share my taste in music - we have talked about this extensively, i do believe there is an element of racism in this among a certain middle age group.
There’s a chunk of defining your preferences in music which is set by what you’re exposed to in your formative years. Often this music stays with you even if you explore new genres later in life. It sounds like your preferences vs your white friends demonstrates the formative years aspect.

There’s a chunk of defining your preferences in music which is set by what you’re exposed to in your formative years. Often this music stays with you even if you explore new genres later in life. It sounds like your preferences vs your white friends demonstrates the formative years aspect.

of course.

I'll admit that does happen perhaps too often on pfm. However I do think that my reading and comprehension skills are fairly well developed. What specifically might be misconstrued in the original post?

It's ok not to like rap. Not only that, but it's ok to say it. However if one watches, one sees a tendancy in some, not by any means all, people to almost proudly and unnecessarily declaim rap whenever given the opportunity. It would seem that this is far more common for rap than for other genres. Furthermore, the OP notes (although I've never seen this on PFM) that on hi-fi forums, mentioning that one likes rap can lead to biased gear suggestions, basically just get a lot of bass and job done. Together, such behaviour can make audio forums an unwelcoming place.

I'll be honest, I couldn't point to any recent examples on PFM of such behaviour, but as a general phenomenon, I'm very familiar with it.

This suggestion, however elicited a knee-jerk defensive reaction from people who felt they personally were called out for being racist for not liking rap. This reaction completely missed all the nuance and awareness in the original post.

My own contributions to the thread have reflected my own thoughts on the broader topic and, yes, questions against my own built-in prejudices and why, despite appreciating rap as an artform, I generally don't relate to it enough to want to listen to it often.

advertisement

Back