advertisement

What hifi system would you choose up to 25k

Depends on the room, a sub can happily and usually work in singleton if positioned right and it can work usually easier and with less attention to detail in dual or even four as a line array (which is freaking immense) but you need a biiiig room. Usually for living rooms one sub will do.

Generally get a larger, further excursion driver for your sub than you deepest driver. ATC 12" subs with ATC 50s. makes sense as its crossover points are predetermined and easy to tune in or integrate as the prissy parlance will have it. For 50s 12" subs are your starting point.

I use a small room...14ft by 11ft with 9ft ceiling. I use two subs because they sound better than one, and you can always turn them down to produce exactly the same level as with one. It just sounds a bit better balanced and more effortless.
Not vital, but nice.

Rega RP8/Apheta, Aria, Brio-R and RS1's. After that there would probably be enough left over for a Canon EOS 5d Mk 3 with some 'glass' and a few LP's.

Re ATCs & Subs:

The Revel (part of Mark Levinson / Madrigal group) B15a subs offer huge flexibility to both room correct and seamlessly match to the main L/R speakers - there is even software to assist with room correction, which is a doddle to use.

Here they are with my 50As:

photostream

Here is a shot of the B15 back-plate showing available controls:

http://www.soundandvision.com/images/archivesart/506Revel.3.jpg

High pass out to ATCs means you would have a 4 way active system that (manufacturer claims) delivers 1Kw at 20Hz and is very 'fast'. If you get two the result is nothing short of incredible and alongside the ATCs provides 2750W RMS - resulting in clean, wide bandwidth high SPL. But it still works well at low volumes.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of doing similar... FYI, I started with 1 sub, which didn't work for me, but adding the second made it all come together.

(I also hear that the new SVS 13 subs also offer similar flexibility)

Hi, you might be surprised that there are other good speaker manufacturers other than ATC. ATC are excellent but they have their own take on things, particularly at low frequencies.

I note that you listen to alot of 'Rock'. You need to get the bass and upper bass region correct first as that's where the boogie factor is.

Don't get too hung up on imaging, soundstage, blah, blah. How relevant is this stuff to say a guitar amp close mic'd in a studio. Think about it. Rock is about the energy of the performance, the rhythm section, leading edge attack to guitar. Alot of systems completely miss this. Personally, I wouldn't base a Rock system on B+W, etc. yawn.

If you have such a decent budget, look at things like the classic large format two-way horn loaded monitor type designs (the modern versions include a supertweeter). For your budget you could get second hand pair of these and a Bryston amp with a lot of change to get someone to work in your room. http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123031

I take it you're in the UK with the typical heavy masonry wall 'box' listening room. They can be hard work to get the low end to work but a consultant who's knows what they are doing would be a grand well spent. Hell, but a second hand pair of Meyer x10's if you don't have a wife to convince. Think laterally, don't get too hung up on audiophile thinking for rock.

PS. Read this review of the newer S9900. Same comments apply to S9800. If you want to really listen to a band going for it, listen to good horns with a bass driver that can keep up. http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/jbl-project-k2-s9900-pound;28000/7581

Chalk & Cheese there Andy. The presentations are very different IME.

I can however say that the JBL will work perfectly in a room the size of the OP's but any ATC bigger than the 50 will suffer from bass issues.

That's just down to the tuning of the cabinet.

The main problem would be that K2's are rare as rocking horse whereas you can find discounted ATC's either new or on the used market relatively easily.

If it were me though, I would definitely want to hear big JBL's powered by a Devialet. :)

Lots of great subs indeed as well as commissioning your own as I did with my Wilmslow active center ATC speaker... ATC subs are designed to work with ATC speakers and they simplify the integration, sub integration is the single hardest thing in the world to achieve (if you believe everything you read on forms) and ATC Main plus ATC Subs make this procedure almost plug and play irrelevance.

1 x 12 BK Monolith & ATC was almost a waste of time. 1 x ATC SCM0.1/15 (in essence a c6) was good, dual ATC subs nailed it. I like the flexibility a sub offers. IOW if when people want subs they might as well clench their buttocks and go bigger.

But I am not a normal home user but neither am I a normal studio user. sort of somewhere between and slightly skewed off to the left at a weird tangent.

The main problem would be that K2's are rare as rocking horse whereas you can find discounted ATC's either new or on the used market relatively easily.

If it were me though, I would definitely want to hear big JBL's powered by a Devialet. :)

I see Audio Emotion have the SCM300's ex demo...

Re. JBL, they do turn up a few times a year but importing from Japan probably best option. OP would need to hear them first.

They are chalk and cheese compared to ATC and that's what I'm getting at.

Good point. I sold my last big Bryston and one reason was I actually read the specs and saw it used 200Watts at idle which was OK 15 years ago but that's more that the lighting load on our house during a typical evening. :(

I wish there were active versions of formats like the JBL's with Class D amps.

I wish there were active versions of formats like the JBL's with Class D amps.

I would imagine it would be reasonably easy to actively bi-amp something like the K2 with Devialet 240's or a DSP based N Core Solution. Sadly that's outside of the OP's budget.

JBL's equivalent of say the ATC150 is I guess the M2 - that would be in budget and would be an interesting audition.

With the OPs suggested budget, I'd definitely go LISTEN to a pair of the bigger Meridian DSP speakers (7000 and 8000 series) to see whether you like their style of presentation.

advertisement

Back