advertisement

What funny speakers you have!

Quality reproduction ...hat's off to ya Joe.

Mr. Jimmy's Tannoy'd cowbell made my two yellow labs simultaneously do a "Nipper" impresssion.

Normally this amazing feat is reserved only for The Impeccable Mr. Waits.

tomwaits-grp2-1106.jpg

Dave,

On a good system that Tom Waits track really creeps me out. On my crappy computer speakers... well, not so much.

I'm done shopping for hi-fi, but if I ever get the urge to upgrade I'm taking Mule Variations with me just to see if that track can be any creepier. Probably as good a test record as any.

Joe

Absolutely agree. Mule Variations is really difficult for a system to handle with all the sonic twists and turns. Just when I'm sure I've hit a patch of intentional distortion it's gone on the next play and I suddenly remember a little tweak made since the last time played. It really takes a good rig to sort this disk out.

Bit biased about the old boy I suppose-I've been a huge Wait's fan since Swordfishtrombone came out. Think I'd have to say he's my favorite singer and songwriter.

Tony, you have a lot of experience with different equipment, what full range speakers have impressed you?

*Sorry if this questions a bit like how long is a piece of string.:)

Hi Muz,
I think that the only good full range speaker i have heard is the Wilson Watt/puppy the only speaker that does what it says on the tin,and its not because i have some for sale.
However i would not buy any as i dont want AC/DC or The Berlin Philharmonic in my room,after flirtations with them and big stats,i have gone full circle and come back to what i started with,2 way stand mounts.

Best Regards Tony

Hi Muz,
I think that the only good full range speaker i have heard is the Wilson Watt/puppy the only speaker that does what it says on the tin,and its not because i have some for sale.
However i would not buy any as i dont want AC/DC or The Berlin Philharmonic in my room,after flirtations with them and big stats,i have gone full circle and come back to what i started with,2 way stand mounts.

Best Regards Tony

Seems a lot of speaker for the money, i heard a pair at a show, they weren't being played loud enough for me!

I've heard a couple of Wilson Watt Puppys in some quite serious home systems. One pair was being driven by some Pass Labs monoblocks (X1000's) and not only was the scale amazing but the imaging was amazing, a real 3D sound. I think though to get the best out of them they need to be carefully setup and given oodles of power.

The other pair didn't have as much amplification and whilst still good didn't have the wow factor for me.

I've heard a couple of Wilson Watt Puppys in some quite serious home systems. One pair was being driven by some Pass Labs monoblocks (X1000's) and not only was the scale amazing but the imaging was amazing, a real 3D sound. I think though to get the best out of them they need to be carefully setup and given oodles of power.

The other pair didn't have as much amplification and whilst still good didn't have the wow factor for me.

I dont think they are going to be speaker you want to upgrade in a hurry if you like the sound of them, makes them good value if you have them for a few years, im guessing you can get drivers from Wilson if you need them.
Some nice gear at Central Audio, good prices too, i was going to have the BAT poweramp that was for sale, if only to keep the room a bit warmer during the winter :D
But someone got there before me.

Are looking forward Mr P to going down to listen to Robs demo room? should be an experience with them big open baffles!

muz640

Yes looking forward to it. I hope that my system may spring some surprises, it's certainly different (and the dynamics at the moment are jawdropping, but so it should be with so much power available).

muz640

Yes looking forward to it. I hope that my system may spring some surprises, it's certainly different (and the dynamics at the moment are jawdropping, but so it should be with so much power available).

It will be a good comparison, ive not heard any Shahinian speakers it would have been good to hear them too (do you have a 1000w each side?!:D)
Im sorry to be missing it, it would have been nice to get a few more manufacturers involved with gear at more down to earth prices, but anyway. I look forward to hearing peoples findings. :)

Well it's only 1000w into 8ohms per channel. Although the speakers are rated at 200w they are fused, and I've not blown the fuses (yet).

advertisement

Back