advertisement

What does bit perfect mean?

I can respect that but I am genuinely interested to understand your position on this. As far as I can tell, there are three possible positions here:

1. All cables sound identical, irrespective of the cost and means of their construction; so a £2,000 interconnect will have no discernable difference in sound, good or bad, versus say a £20 one. They will sound completely the same.
2. There are differences between cables, but none of those differences are either objectively better or worse (again irrespective of the cost and means of construction), they are just different.
3. Cables can sound better or worse in a given system but there is little, if any correlation to how much those cables cost.

It's a sincere question.

4. Any differences will be small to the point of irrelevance if the cable has the appropriate spec in terms of capacitance, resistance, etc. Given the details of the source and load impedances vf frequency the changes made by using a given length can then be predicted and measured to validate that calculated prediction. None of this is 'rocket science' or mysterious, just 101 EE.

5. However people will hear differences due to many other factors - e.g. movement of their head, and/or having just heard something before listening now, etc, that in themselves have nothing to do with the cable.

No, this is ground plane noise travelling over copper, there's no change to the data.
You are very knowledgeable but should investigate this a bit further before dismissing.

Point me at suitable AES or equivalent papers on the topic I can download which back you up in terms of measured changes shown to be audible. I'll have a look if/when I can.

Quality.

Jim you had me ‘triggered’ at the mention of Quantum Mech II. I was genuinely dreaming schrodinger’s in my sleep.

And while I can’t remember who did that particular course, I remember not understanding a single one of Bruce Sinclair’s lecture.

Never, never, never again. 😂 📚

4. Any differences will be small to the point of irrelevance if the cable has the appropriate spec in terms of capacitance, resistance, etc. Given the details of the source and load impedances vf frequency the changes made by using a given length can then be predicted and measured to validate that calculated prediction. None of this is 'rocket science' or mysterious, just 101 EE.

5. However people will hear differences due to many other factors - e.g. movement of their head, and/or having just heard something before listening now, etc, that in themselves have nothing to do with the cable.
Ah makes sense now; you're an engineer. OK well I'm truly sorry for your loss and hope you have a great day.
;)

I can't say I've ever heard the difference between WAV, FLAC etc but in blind listening tests the difference in cables is pretty easy to hear and once you start to understand how electrical signals are 'passed' down the wire (as in they are not passed at all, there is no 'flow' of electrons, it's more like a 'propogation'), it's easy to understand why the construction of a cable would make such a huge difference.
I appreciate that this conversation has moved a bit., but I really don;t understand why you said this. Of course an electromagnetic wave propogates through the field surrounding the conductor, but why or earth does that make it more rather than less plausible that the construction of the cable somehow materially affects the signal than would be the case if the signal in fact propogated exclusively through electrons flowing in the conductor?
All of this is still captured by the L, C and R of the cable and the effect they have on the voltage in which the signal is encoded.

Last edited:
Quality.

Jim you had me ‘triggered’ at the mention of Quantum Mech II. I was genuinely dreaming schrodinger’s in my sleep.

And while I can’t remember who did that particular course, I remember not understanding a single one of Bruce Sinclair’s lecture.

Never, never, never again. 😂 📚

Well, if you believe the QM-wallahs there will be many Universes where he made perfect sense to you. :) Just a matter of you finding the Doorway to Summer. (Heinlein reference.)

Ah makes sense now; you're an engineer. OK well I'm truly sorry for your loss and hope you have a great day.
;)

No need to feel sorrow. I really do enjoy the music. Have done so for decades, incuding the days when I often went to a BBC concert performance at a venue, then heard it played on R3 later. And am able to appreciate the good work engineers do. Without them, we'd have no Hi-Fi at all. :)

TBF in somc cases cable choice can make a big difference. However the science and engineering behind that are well known.

It is also well established by evidence that people tend to hear 'differences' caused by factors that aren't the ones they assume are the 'cause'. Also established that simply hearing something may affect hearing, altering it *physiologically' so that the same sounds played again may sound 'different'. Have a cup of tea, may alter your perception.

advertisement

Back