advertisement

What Do You Want Played At Your Funeral?

Originally posted by ChrisJ
Oh, it would have to be Patti Smith's "Gloria"..."Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine..."
On a more serious note, the Dead's "Box of Rain" would be nice.

It's the last two verses That I think would make "Box of Rain" a great song to go out to.

Look out of any window
Any morning, any evening, any day
Maybe the sun is shining
Birds are winging, no rain is falling from a heavy sky
What do you want me to do
To do for you to see you through?
For this is all a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago

Walk out of any doorway
Feel your way like the day before
Maybe you'll find direction
Around some corner where it's been waiting to meet you
To watch for you while you're sleeping?
Then please don't be surprised when you find me dreaming too

Look into any eyes
You find by you; you can see clear to another day
Maybe been seen before
Through other eyes on other days while going home
To do for you to see you through?
It's all a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago

Walk into splintered sunlight
Inch your way through dead dreams to another land
Maybe you're tired and broken
Your tongue is twisted with words half spoken and thoughts unclear
To do for you, to see you through?
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

Just a box of rain, wind and water
Believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on
Sun and shower, wind and rain
In and out the window like a moth before a flame

And it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there
Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare
And it's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair
Such a long, long time to be gone and a short time to be there

When my dear father-in-law died some years ago we decided that as he was ex-RAF we would have the Dambusters March played as we were filing out of the crematorium.

Nice and tuneful, but serious....we thought.

We hadn't allowed for the 15-20 second intro of "Reg Dixon plays the Hammond Organ on Blackpool Prom" before it got into the familiar theme........

Have you ever heard 30 people burst into laughter at a funeral?

I think I even heard a chuckle from the direction of the coffin!

A colleague of mine died far too young, from cancer. Her funeral at the church had all the usual readings and a few hymns. I couldn't go to the crem, but apparently the service continued in similar vein until the last tune, when they were treated to 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On'. Nice one Barbara!

Like the guy in the first episode of "Red Dwarf" - Bill Haley singing, "See ya later, alligator".

As I said, my funeral songs change with mood. Tonight, I'm in a sentimental mood (Great title for a song that!) and have just found Beth Nielsen Chapman's 'Seven Shades of Blue' drifting into my mind.

Chorus:

'We hold it all for a little while don't we?
Kiss the dice,
Taste the rain like little knives upon our tongue.
We can do no wrong,
When the lights go on,
And the music plays,
And we take the stage,
Like we own the place,
As if time were cheap,
And the night forever young....'

Gorgeous imagery

Mull (Sentimental old git)

As they file in : Albinoni 2nd movement , D minor Concerto, Erato vinyl, Marie Clare Elain organ, and Maurice Andre trumpet.

Reflecting, and introspective moment: Nunc Dimittis, Geoffrey Burgon Cathedral music ( closing title from "Tinker Tailor.Soldier Spy mini series)

On leaving : Jackson Browne 'For a Dancer' from Late for the Sky.

God, I hope someone turns up!

I think for openers we must have -

- Black Sabbath : Electric Funeral

Followed up by -

- ACDC : Hell 'Aint A Bad Place

or (depending on what happens between now and lights outs)

- Led Zeppelin : Stairway To Heaven

A few sensible options -

- Kate Bush : Watching You Without Me
- Sandy Denny : Next Time Around [or] Nothing More (Can't decide which is more appropriate)
- Bonnie ' Prince' Billy : I See A Darkness

And round off the proceedings with a good old barbecue and slow roast -

- Deep Purple : Into The Fire

-A-

Thread now officially resurrected!

Mine is "Adios a la Pasada" on Bill Bruford's first solo album, "Feels Good To Me", with the end guitar solo played on a loop.

Thankfully I have told my friends and family what song I want played as my Alzheimer Light has made me forget wich one it is!

JohanR

Today I seem to be a little better in my head so I remember that I have asked for the very beautiful choir music from Mr Bean, the intro part where he falls down from the sky. I actually don't know what it is, but it's up to the survivals to find out when that time comes!

JohanR

Alan said:
- Kate Bush : Watching You Without Me

Good call - could have that for the entrance music.

I'd definitely have "Night train" by Guns 'N Roses, "Highway to hell" by AC/DC and "Light my fire" by the Doors (the remix, short version from the movie), and just to freak people out, at the end I'd get them to stick on "Dancing with Kadafi" by Infected Mushroom, as it's a) psy-trance and b) all over the shop style-wise, so if at least one bit of the track doesn't appeal to everyone, another bit will :)

I'd really want to put on "Kill/Gobbing on life" from Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoias' "Snuff rock EP" but would never get away with it. Actually - stuff them - it's not like they can kill me again is it!?

If I haven't already said this......................

Doors locked, one hour of the most innaccesible Tom waits available (bone machine and Black rider would feature heavily in the mix)

The reason is any good song I hear at a funeral is instantly ruined, inconsiderate dying bastards have robbed me of the pleasure of listening to "stairway to heaven" and "good riddance" by greenday.

In life I have to listen to Tom Waits on my own..........I'll get the bastards back :)

S

'Reasons to be Miserable' Half Man Half Biscuit
'See That My Bike is Kept Clean' Half Man Half Biscuit
'Dead Men Don't Need Season Tickets' Half Man Half Biscuit.

This is a kind of Big Chill thread! I decided mine a long time ago and I don't think it'll ever change; Chranchester Meadows by Pink Floyd from Ummagumma. I'd also stimulate that they had to play the whole thing including the fly being swotted at the end.

If I could have another choice it'd be the Ario da capo from Bach's Goldberg Variations played by Glenn Gould (the 1981 recording).

Then of course as everyone left it'd have to be Monty Phython's Always Look at the Bright Side of Life.

Peter

Totally agree Peter.

...Bright Side of Life is one of those choices that you might originally think is a bit obvious / boring. However, I think it would lift any funeral if played as everyone filed out. I know I would be wearing a very large grin.

All 10000 tracks from my IPod

to keep them miserable, probably Barber's adagio to start and The Lark Ascending to finish.

Nobody of course would get the ooompah in the middle, but then given a jazz playing mate of mine died of cancer on Monday, I guess my tolerance for anything anyone wants has been released.

Here's to Eamonn Walsh ......

They're coming to take me away, ha ha - Napoleon XIV
Pali Gap - Jimi Some of the most sublime guitar work ever. A small glimpse of what was to come before he was tragically snatched from us.
Hymns to the Silence - Van the Man with Georgie Fame on his magic Hammond Organ.

Mike

Mick Seymour said:
The A side or the B side?

Mick
Funnily enough "!aaah-ah, yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yeht" is listed as "I'm happy they took you away, ha-haaa!" (By Josephine XV) on the album, which is probably what my wife would say!!!

Mike

Have you ever heard 30 people burst into laughter at a funeral?

David Niven asked for "In the mood" - and everyone who knew him well laughed. Apparently he hated it with a passion.

I'm really not bothered. I guess the sex pistols version of My Way would be fun.

advertisement

Back