advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Saw Arlo Parkes at Shepherds Bush Empire on Thursday night. For anyone familiar with her Mercury Music Award winning album, the live experience was more up tempo, with a decent band and backing singers. I was quite impressed with her performance but the gig was spoilt for me by very poor mixing. Her vocals were battling and often losing against the rest of the band. This was true of the support acts too, the first act was a girl with only a guitarist in support, the guitar killed her vocals. I’ve been to many gigs at Shepherds Bush Empire and this is the only time I’ve ever moaned about sound quality there.

Cheers BB

Working Mens Club at the Engine Room in Southampton last night.
They were excellent; with the new songs being really strong - one of them reminded me of mid 80s Cabaret Voltaire.
I was kinda surprised at the demogaphic of the audience; and wonder what the band (all in their early twenties) make of looking out at a crowd largely old enough to be their parents.

Tony Allen Retrospective at the Royal Festival Hall last night - one of the best gigs I've ever been to, and certainly the best I've been to where I barely knew any of the music! Damon Albarn, Nitin Sawhney, Eska, Ezra Collective, Joan as Policewoman, Ben Okri. Just sensational.

Not sure Damon will be invited back to play the venue though - the bouncers didn't take kindly to him inviting the crowd onto the stage at the end!

My partner and I recently enjoyed the wonderful vocal talents of Mad Dog McRea at Wroot Rocks, supported by Gaz Brookfield.

We're off to see them tomorrow at what I still insist on calling the Hammersmith Odeon.

make sure you are there in plenty of time, they came on bang at 7pm, at Leeds they didn’t let people in until 6pm and my brother who arrived later than me didn’t get into the hall until the first notes of the first song! He said there was a lot of people behind him even. Needless to say by the time my brother was coming through they had given up checking covid passes as they couldn’t get people in fast enough. You would think by now they would know how long it takes to get 2000 people into a venue with full checks.

make sure you are there in plenty of time, they came on bang at 7pm, at Leeds they didn’t let people in until 6pm and my brother who arrived later than me didn’t get into the hall until the first notes of the first song! He said there was a lot of people behind him even. Needless to say by the time my brother was coming through they had given up checking covid passes as they couldn’t get people in fast enough. You would think by now they would know how long it takes to get 2000 people into a venue with full checks.

Thanks for the warning.
We had an email from the venue advising the same; plus the fact that there’s now metal detectors on the entrance (personally I can’t imagine many shivvings at a Soft Cell gig, but hey....)

Going to see Kurt Elling with the SJNO next Sunday. Looking forward to it immensely. An incredible singer.

Just back from Vijay Iyer trio, astonishing would be an understatement. Linda Oh on bass was a complete revelation for me and no words for Tyshawn Sorey.

Reactions: kjb
Just back from Vijay Iyer trio, astonishing would be an understatement. Linda Oh on bass was a complete revelation for me and no words for Tyshawn Sorey.

I was going to come up for that one but my jazz buddies are all out of town, I had an early start for work and ... just kicking myself, really.

Richard Thompson at The Palladium In London on 2nd November. Richard was in solo mode and particularly fine form throughout. Richard was joined by a female vocalist, Zara Philips from ‘Wheel of Death’ onwards. Good mix of songs and anecdotes from throughout his storied career, plus of course he has a book out to plug. Only possible downside was the price of two drinks from the venue bar, can of Guinness plus a large Savignon Blanc (both in plastic cups), £16.00 - YES, SIXTEEN ****ING POUNDS…!!!!!!

Supposed to see Faust performing Faust IV at Union Chapel on Monday evening but decided to get Covid instead... :rolleyes:

Anyone who went: how was it?

Oh Sees at The Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool last week. I’d seen Caribou a couple of weeks previous, but some John Dwyer-led mayhem felt like my first true post-lockdown live music experience. I’m 52, moshed for as long as I could stand it, and it made me feel more positively engaged with other people than at any time in the past 18 months because of the COVID bollocks.

sorry to sound like an old hippy but it was ****ing ace

Supposed to see Faust performing Faust IV at Union Chapel on Monday evening but decided to get Covid instead... :rolleyes:

Anyone who went: how was it?

Couple of friends went, and said it was, and I quote "epic"

Personally I was at Soft Cell, where there was a lorra lorra love in the room.

advertisement

Back