advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

This is the kit last night at the cluny newcastle, sold out and fans on full….didn’t know what to expect but the Music was sublime, and crowd was very mellow.

Fish tonight at Sheffield.

Busy week with Fish yesterday in Sheffield. First time I’ve seen him since marillion split but he is just so charismatic, and the interaction with the audience was up their with the best gigs I’ve been to. He was struggling a bit with his in ear monitors but it didn’t spoil the show for us, but did drive him to drinking wine direct from the bottle after the first hour.

great mix of songs and it reminded me how gloomy some of the words can be with great tunes of course. Still best for me Fugazi as an encore.
PS first time I have seen a couple of spectacle changes through a gig from as Fish put it “his hearing aid and glasses roady.”

I've forgotten... 2019 seems a century away...
I'm definitely not terrorized by the COVID virus (this is what I've felt from the outset) and am totally fed up with health passes and masks...
but, in the current health situation, several hundred/thousand people in the same enclosed space doesn't strike me as sensible no matter what precautions are taken...

I've been supporting musicians by buying a lot of music, mostly on Bandcamp.
If I can believe Roon, I've acquired 1494 albums since the first French lockdown mid March 2020 :)

Focus last night at the Corn Exchange, Devizes, approaching the end of their 50th Anniversary tour. Very impressive and great fun. Pierre Van Der Linden is some drummer. A great evening, capped off by winning a book token in the raffle!

I went to see Kurt Elling with Tommy Smith and the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra last night in Aberdeen.
A magnificent concert and further proof for me that Kurt Elling is the finest vocalist on the planet. His control and range is quite staggering.

Only downside was that Aberdeen in a further display of its cultural ignorance and small-mindedness, managed to scrape together only about 150 souls to watch world-class artists.
When I saw Angela Hewitt playing the Goldbergs and later the WTC, it was the same. Aberdeen is a ****ing embarrassment. I hate the place.

Still, at least I go the chance to fist-bump Kurt and have a brief chat with him and very nice he was too. :D

Last night at Reading Concert Hall (lovely venue btw), Jon Hopkins.
Support was Hayden Thorpe, who didn't grab me particularly, so we slipped out to the bar after a few songs.
Jon Hopkins was pretty good, ranging from solo piano pieces to full on rave ups*; accompanied by strings and a guitarist.

*it wasn't difficult to tell the members of the audience there for those parts (nice to see people enjoying themselves ;) )

This is the kit last night at the cluny newcastle, sold out and fans on full….didn’t know what to expect but the Music was sublime, and crowd was very mellow.
Yeah I saw them in Cardiff a couple of weeks ago, really superb live music and tbh much more engaging than I had expected. I'd go and see them again any time.

Kelly Lee Owens at The Arch (or The Zap, as it was called when I was last in there), Brighton.
Cracking gig, that she seemed to really enjoy as well. Great crowd, and an excellent soundsystem too.

Marillion - Hammersmith Odeon
I don't detect a lot of love for them on PFM which is a shame as they are superb live.

Kelly Lee Owens at The Arch (or The Zap, as it was called when I was last in there), Brighton.
Cracking gig, that she seemed to really enjoy as well. Great crowd, and an excellent soundsystem too.

Kelly Lee Owens at the O2 Ritz in Manchester tomorrow night. Should be good. Last saw her at Jodrell bank in 2019.

I've forgotten... 2019 seems a century away...
I'm definitely not terrorized by the COVID virus (this is what I've felt from the outset) and am totally fed up with health passes and masks...
but, in the current health situation, several hundred/thousand people in the same enclosed space doesn't strike me as sensible no matter what precautions are taken...

I've been supporting musicians by buying a lot of music, mostly on Bandcamp.
If I can believe Roon, I've acquired 1494 albums since the first French lockdown mid March 2020 :)

This sums up my experience perfectly. I haven't been to a concert since late November 2019. And I've bought mostly through Burning shed.

Saw Paul Weller at the Vue Cymru earlier this month. I was surprised how many people in one auditorium (all standing), no social distancing and no masks. Quite surreal. Plus he was 40 mins late on stage. Sound system was poor and he was unfortunately past it for me. I’ve seen him a few times before when he was great. Won’t see him again I don’t think

Saw Paul Weller at the Vue Cymru earlier this month. I was surprised how many people in one auditorium (all standing), no social distancing and no masks. Quite surreal. Plus he was 40 mins late on stage. Sound system was poor and he was unfortunately past it for me. I’ve seen him a few times before when he was great. Won’t see him again I don’t think

I’ve got tickets for next year at the Kentish Town Forum, I’ve always wanted to see him in a small venue. Hope it’s better than your experience.

Cheers BB

Just back from Human League in Nottm. Sporadic mask wearing, but we kept ours on. Good gig. Being Boiled had particular resonance, and was actually played without backing tracks!

W.H. Lung last night at The Concorde 2 in Brighton.
Support was Keg, who had their moments, in a mid eighties John Peel Session style (yelping vocals, wonky white boy funk rhythms, scratchy guitars). W.H. Lung were really good; only let down by a murky sound mix. Glad we finally got to see them after two postponements.
Again, as with with when we saw Working Mens Club a few weeks back, the crowd were largely old enough to be the parents of the band; which was a bit odd.

Focus on Sat night - only 2 originals (Pierre on drums and Thjis on organ & flute) but great sound!

A colleague at work in c1972 drew my attention to them. Liked them a lot and bought albums. Jan Akkerman was a brilliant most underrated guitarist.
Many years later in the 1990s? I was at a jazz concert in our small town in West Lothian (Scotsman, Colin Steele: trumpet, was most well-known of the band). During the interval a group of us were chatting and when a lady said she was from Holland, I told her how much I admired Focus. To which she replied "Hey, I was in Thjis's house last week!"

advertisement

Back