advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Fever Ray at Albert Hall, Manchester last night. Excellent. I've wanted to see them since the first self-titled album but never managed it, and they haven't had a great many UK tours

Lucinda Williams !
Saw her last night and was lucky enough to be sitting 12 foot away from where she was standing to sing. Very good performance with a backing band that seemed to enjoy what they doing.

The amazing thing is she is about 70 years old, has had a stroke and finds it difficult to walk, but still managed to sing for over 2 hours and captivate the audience.

Alex Garnett & band at the 606 Club last weekend - wonderful tenor & alto playing.

Tom Ollendorff & band at the Vortex on Saturday - magical interplay of guitar, piano, bass & drums.

IMG-3024.jpg

The Smile at the Hammersmith Apollo on Sunday. Excellent night with my missus and my 12 year old boy. Good sound quality too. The gear nerd in me also noted their really good taste in equipment.

Richard Dawson at Cafe OTO on Saturday - benefit for Resonance FM. Seen him before at festivals and at the Barbican, with full band and loved it. Here, solo in a small venue up close was absolutely magical.
Great support from Kamara Obscura.
I love going to Oto so much, I should move to Dalston and just go every night!

Just seen Robert Plant/Saving Grace at Ipswich - one of the best concerts that I have seen in years.
if you get a chance give it a go, gob smacked - Taylor McCall as support was excellent, will have a hunt for his LP/s

Last edited:
caroline at the ICA this afternoon. Excellent showcase of all their new material - they start recording the second album in April and May. Can't wait, based on this marvellous show.

I saw Masego a couple of weeks ago. An excellent gig (as always - I've seen him a few times before).

Multi instrumentalist. A ridiculous amount of talent on display.

The only negative was no records on the merch stand to buy.

I also took my 18yr old nephew to this. Huge music lover, like me... His first gig ever.. An excellent first gig to go to.

Robert Plant & Saving Grace last night in Tunbridge Wells.

IMG-3075.jpg

Superb gig, great playing and great sound too. Percy still a legend.

Unfortunately, it seems that these days it's pretty tough being a rock god of a bygone era...

Pre-gig:

Whats-App-Image-2024-03-18-at-20-49-31.jpg

Post-gig, before the poor old fella had even left the building:

Whats-App-Image-2024-03-18-at-22-47-17.jpg

Reminded me of the Spinal Tap vs Puppet Show top billing sequence...

Robert Plant & Saving Grace last night in Tunbridge Wells.

IMG-3075.jpg

Superb gig, great playing and great sound too. Percy still a legend.

Unfortunately, it seems that these days it's pretty tough being a rock god of a bygone era...

Pre-gig:

Whats-App-Image-2024-03-18-at-20-49-31.jpg

Post-gig, before the poor old fella had even left the building:

Whats-App-Image-2024-03-18-at-22-47-17.jpg

Reminded me of the Spinal Tap vs Puppet Show top billing sequence...
Can't find it on the net right now, but I've seen a picture of a cinema poster (in Liverpool?) that says "Tonight: Bob Dylan. Tomorrow: The Sound of Music".

Bridgewater hall, Manchester, last night. With the Halle orchestra.

Mainly to hear saxophonist Jess Gillam.

first up Brittens “ four sea interludes”. Couldn’t get into it. First time for years hearing a full orchestra and there was just too much going on.

next up Jess Gillam playing “ Briggflatts” by John Harle. Some lovely writing and moments in orchestra ( 3 movements) and some really lovely sounds from soprano sax. But overall I felt the Music was too busy, and overpowered the sax . She has a great sound, but often could hardly be heard. One sax against full orchestra of 60!!!! I could often hear the trumpet over the top of the soloist !!!
Didn’t work for me.
smaller/ chamber orchestra would have been much better, in my humble opinion.
she played a solo encore, which was wonderful, and gave a chance to see what she is about. Loved it.

second half. Sibelius symphony number 1……yes……loved this

Mary Wallopers at the Roundhouse yesterday. Raucous. Guest appearance by Spider Stacey. Vocal in their support of Palestine.

advertisement

Back