advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Stereolab last night in Liverpool, great venue, great band. As a sound engineer my only gripe was the sound guy there decided it would be a good idea to totally spank (go way overboard with compression) on the snare drum not noticing that their drummer really liked to pound the kit and didn't adjust for it so we had a super hot sharp snare sound all the way through.

Steve Gadd Band at Ronnie Scott's last night. Pretty tedious fare which never got going. Could have been pretty much any drummer.
Very disappointed.

Pretty tedious fare which never got going. Could have been pretty much any drummer.

Happened to me around 25 years ago with Jack DeJohnette. Technically competent, but dull as dishwater. One of the few gigs in my life where I got up and left less than half way through.

Steve Hackett Foxtrot at 50 tour. Excellent performance, the guy can really play and he had a good group of musicians with him. Good size venue, no jumbotron screens needed. Unlike most of the audience he still has hair...

53338055969_1a206fade4_3k.jpg

Going to see Clive Carroll tight at the Red Lion Manningtree - excellent guitarist, lovely little pub/venue. I have been looking forward to this for a couple of months now :)

Bob Vylan last night at The O2 Ritz, Manchester. Some very powerful and pertinent messages about the times we are living right now. Bloody loud too!!

The Necks, Bristol last night. A first time experience for both me and @martin clark, who was acting as city guide, companion and care for the elderly officer. The first set built from gentle piano tinkling to a rather moving tonal progression that reminded me of one of Keith Jarrett’s early solo pieces - Bremen, I think. I found the heat rather oppressive in front of the stage so watched the second set from the end of Chris Abraham’s piano where a cooling breeze was drifting through the venue. A lucky move - after passing through a section that sounded to me reminiscent of an old galleon creaking on the high seas the second set progressed towards a sustained fifteen minute climax, and the sound was glorious. As they wound down I could hear an old Wild West-style train slowly coming to a halt. Maybe Tony Buck felt something similar, as he concluded the piece with the sound of a car screeching to a stop.

Deserved tumultuous applause and promises that they would return soon. In the meantime, Lloyd Swanton said, why don’t you come and see us in Falmouth next week? There are still tickets available, and it’s ‘only about six hours down the road!’

Last edited:
+1 to all that @Marchbanks : wonderful, deep, rolling sea-swell of emotive music-making.

Sound right at the RHS of the stage, 6' from the piano was wonderful, esp for the second set. Am still assimilating the gestalt; & - thankyou, for making this happen!

The Necks do a funny thing sometimes where you're really not sure what you're hearing or which instrument is making the sounds.

I was involved in them playing in London a few years ago and a member of the audience came up to me after the first set and asked if I was triggering the samples. They refused to believe that what they'd heard was just a piano, double bass and percussion!

I'm just coming down from seeing The Necks at Kings Place. First set was great, second set was genuinely magic; maybe the best I've seen them.

Alfa Mist at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester last night. captivating performance.

I'm just coming down from seeing The Necks at Kings Place. First set was great, second set was genuinely magic; maybe the best I've seen them.
Samara Joy & band at the Barbican this evening. Grammy award winning jazz singer, aged 24, an extraordinary performance.
Glad the shows were good.

'm feeling rather p***d off this morning. I had tickets to see Samara Joy last night and then The Necks tonight but picked up a chest infection which is causing me to cough at fairly regular intervals as well as feeling very ropey. I ended up getting refunds ( or credits) for both tickets. It was partly not feeling great and not fancying heading up to London and also not wanting to ruin other people's show by coughing loudly throughout the performance.

I'm hoping to catch the Necks at Cafe Oto in April but this morning I'm feeling decidedly dispirited.

The Necks do a funny thing sometimes where you're really not sure what you're hearing or which instrument is making the sounds.

I was involved in them playing in London a few years ago and a member of the audience came up to me after the first set and asked if I was triggering the samples. They refused to believe that what they'd heard was just a piano, double bass and percussion!

I remember this when I saw them in Oxford. At one point the friend who I'd take along asked where the female voices were coming from.

Robert Plant & Suzi Dian - Saving Grace. One of the best sounding concerts I have been to for quite some time. The old guy's voice just seems to be getting better with age and he is now (as he does with the other bands he works with) throwing in some reworked LZ tunes into the set. We had 'Friends', 'The Rain Song', 'Four Sticks' and 'Gallows' Pole'

advertisement

Back