advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Richard Hawley, Edinburgh Usher Hall. For once, a guest rather than paying customer (thanks to our pal Bryan who is in the touring band). Great gig, fantastic seats and great to meet everyone backstage after, thanks for the beer and the anti-Tory banter :)

I went to see Yes at the Royal Albert Hall last night.
Very enjoyable.
Another one ticked of the wish list of bands that I grew up listening to.

I do find the arena floor seating is a little cramped at the RAH though. But third row in the centre, so I shouldn't complain too much.

Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman...American Old-Time on fiddle, guitar, voices, banjo and fretless banjo.
Superb singing and playing on the very highest level.
Drove over to Chester for this, well worth the trip.

Eagles and the Doobie Brothers at Manchester last Saturday. Both bands on great form, Co-Op live is a good venue now they are starting to iron out the early problems. Getting in and out was very efficient and the sound was very good.

Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman...American Old-Time on fiddle, guitar, voices, banjo and fretless banjo.
Superb singing and playing on the very highest level.
Drove over to Chester for this, well worth the trip.
Was it in St.Mary’s church ? I like it there , I’m going next week.

Matthew Halsall at New Century Hall Manchester last night. The first set was most of the last album and used loops of thumb piano, percussion etc as a base, which I think is a bit limiting. However the second set was much more expansive, deep and even spacy at times and really took off. This worked for me and, from the reaction, the rest of the audience too. Usual great band, with Alice Roberts prominent on harp and superb bass from Gavin Barras holding it all together.
BTW the New Century Hall is an excellent venue, and the Cloudwater Brewery bar just outside is good for a pre-show pint.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard at The Civic Hall, Wolverhampton last week, supported by Grace Cummings.
They were incredible!
I love the Civic, and it's my 6th time back there since it reopened last year.

Next Wednesday it'll be James supported by Razorlight at the Utilita in Birmingham.

Just got home after seeing Blondie perform at the Peace Hall in Halifax. Not my thing at all, but it was a birthday present to wifey from my daughter - nice venue, friendly crowd, and much to my surprise I really enjoyed it - Debbie looked fantastic and performed a couple of new items that were remarkably good.

BTW - I'm sure that she announced that the bass player was Glenn Matlock, though I cannot find any evidence of this. Support band Starsailor were also excellent - I need to explore their music more - they reminded me of a much superior Simple Minds - again not my thing but clearly have talent.

This song. Maccar recommended her on his mighty pfm Folk thread, but had she recently been on some non-folkies' radars too? ( @Tony L did he mention she'd been on yours? not so sure- perhaps a bit light/ twee for yourself).

And from it, I'm delving into more of her stuff- decent. But this is my song of the summer so far:

Capt

Richard Hawley last Thursday brilliant with a brilliant band down at the old colston hall in Bristol. Which they have done a great job with
I saw him at The Hammersmith Apollo on Saturday night, seventh time I’ve seen him, he always puts on a great show. I have thought though at the last two shows I’ve seen his voice is going a little bit, fags and age catching up with him.

Great to hear him finish the night with ‘The Ocean’ my favourite track of his, which has been out of the set list for a while.

I was really disappointed that we missed all of John Smith and all but two songs of Thea Gilmore, we had a mega busy day on Saturday and just couldn’t get there in time.

Cheers BB

To the Sondheim Theatre yesterday afternoon for the 16th SSSSPOTY - Steven Sondheim Society Student Performer of the Year competition.
Twelve finalists from 300+ entrants each performed a Sondheim song and a new music theatre song.
Always very entertaining - seeing the musical theatre performers of the future - past winners include Taron Egerton, Alex Young & Desmonda Cathabel. Cynthia Erivo was a finalist, too.

I saw him at The Hammersmith Apollo on Saturday night, seventh time I’ve seen him, he always puts on a great show. I have thought though at the last two shows I’ve seen his voice is going a little bit, fags and age catching up with him.

Great to hear him finish the night with ‘The Ocean’ my favourite track of his, which has been out of the set list for a while.

I was really disappointed that we missed all of John Smith and all but two songs of Thea Gilmore, we had a mega busy day on Saturday and just couldn’t get there in time.

Cheers BB
My mate is in the band, did I say that ;). Have to admit, it was a good gig but I spent a lot of it thinking 'Bryan, don't **** up'.....

It was a bit strange to get invited backstage afterwards (but not in a groupie way, naturally). A wee bit awkward, but nice to chat with the band and RH himself; he's very down to earth but with an edge that you'd expect. We didn't stay that long since we had a drive ahead of us. Ironically he's not an artist I've listened to very much, but I'm working on that now - my wife's the fan, although getting freebie tickets was persuasion enough to do a Monday gig...

Last edited:
Nick Mason's "Saucerful" at Symphony last night.
If anything, they just keep getting better and better, having now seen all of their tours to date.
Utter standouts - "One of These Days" and "Echoes" in its entirety.
They very obviously are having a blast on stage.
Brilliant sound quality as one would hope with them & Symphony.

Nick Mason's "Saucerful" at Symphony last night.
If anything, they just keep getting better and better, having now seen all of their tours to date.
Utter standouts - "One of These Days" and "Echoes" in its entirety.
They very obviously are having a blast on stage.
Brilliant sound quality as one would hope with them & Symphony.
Going to see them at The Dome in Brighton next week, I am so looking forward to hearing Echoes...one of Floyds best ever tracks IMHO

advertisement

Back