advertisement

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'no way'

I thought that too but was too afraid to wade in
You see, Threads like this give me an uncertainty that follows my day
Like a black dog, or a fog, smothered and shadowed
For I would not test these filled-over cracks
To reveal under the boards of this place seeping a vile, bubbling disquiet.
Indivisible from the hellish tales of politics, car tyres, all our proud ideals
Encapsulated in text, mimetic and Manifestly surreal
An unworthy prize, as dogs fighting over a bone
Held proudly aloft in threads of tainted once noble ideas running like poisoned blood
By slit-eyed sages justifying a filled over sliver of meanness within.
By inversion, diversion, division
This disquiet bubbles and rises.

But from the mouth of the village fool - with too many words to his name
Babbled as his wanining enfeebled mind speaks itself now unrestrained,
Yet easily ignored
An utterance offered benignly, a salve to this sweaty hatred,
"negativity begats negativity, beware, a madness lies in wait"
He sees our fevered brow seduced by a metaphor so delicious, yet thin
As he once did his own Tower of Babel collapse around him
"We obsess, caress, laud and disown beliefs as lies and vapour
Tireless champions of a fleeting viewpoint.
I am tired of this spear intended for the savage breast.
Jammed into these cracks, as a needle in a groove
That sticks.
Let the barking begin."

Are you wearing your cardigan??

Naim Equipment, if for no other reason, that most of what I hear about Naim is the hype from merchants and their owners who are on some religious/fanatical mission to convert everyone to Naim.

I've come to realize that lots of folks, especially in the forums have grown up on the stuff and are emotionally/historically tied to the equipment, its legacy and how it has touched their lives, but for Pete's sake ....

And then when I finally get to listen to Naim gear, it simply cannot live up to all its advance billing. Moreover, when I learn of speaker manufacturers who use Naim to voice their designs, I start to understand how and why I prefer certain speakers over another.

Regarding the merchants who PUSH Naim, much like street corner peddlers, the veneer wears thin real fast.

Naim isn't for everyone. No brand is.

If you don't "get it", then go elsewhere. Some people just don't perceive the qualities that Naim (etc) bring to the party, in which case the gear is wasted on them.

You don't want to be one of what I term "accidental" Naim owners, those you have it solely because of the hype and don't appreciate what it does.

RustyB

There is NO chance that I shall ever be an "accidental" Naim owner, and on this Easter weekend, please do be a lamb, and extol these Naim qualities of which you speak and how they differentiate.

Peace Out

For me (both at dealer demos though), an AT-OC9 cartridge, so shrill I could not believe anyone could like it! Then some Harbeth speakers, oh so dull sounding.

Maybe as a combination they would work?

I heard a super duper all Quad setup at the Bristol show two years ago. They were new ones, no idea which. It was so flat and dull sounding. It was a real shame, after all I've heard people say about the brand. No idea how well (or not) it was set up.

One thought: my room could be awful in terms of set up and so when I go hear other systems elsewhere I'm used to my colourations/problems and that sounds normal to me. I hope not but who knows ��

Latest Quad amps sound OK but I experienced operational problems with both the QSP & Platinum stereo amplifiers which IMO have design deficiency not picked up in the reviews.

Naim Equipment, if for no other reason, that most of what I hear about Naim is the hype from merchants and their owners who are on some religious/fanatical mission to convert everyone to Naim.

I've come to realize that lots of folks, especially in the forums have grown up on the stuff and are emotionally/historically tied to the equipment, its legacy and how it has touched their lives, but for Pete's sake ....

And then when I finally get to listen to Naim gear, it simply cannot live up to all its advance billing. Moreover, when I learn of speaker manufacturers who use Naim to voice their designs, I start to understand how and why I prefer certain speakers over another.

Regarding the merchants who PUSH Naim, much like street corner peddlers, the veneer wears thin real fast.

I take it you don't like Naim then?

if cd's are a component then hearing " remastered and family authorised" jimi Hendrix cd's put me off buying any cd's till circa the 1990s

agree re mission speakers

re keltiks

the designer of keltiks is on record as resigning due to the compromises he was being asked to make - i have emails from him somewhere on this issue

if cd's are a component then hearing " remastered and family authorised" jimi Hendrix cd's put me off buying any cd's till circa the 1990s

agree re mission speakers

re keltiks

the designer of keltiks is on record as resigning due to the compromises he was being asked to make - i have emails from him somewhere on this issue

I really liked the patterning on the front of the keltiks, I recall there was to be a design after that, a quasi four way system called the kolossus that was shelved after the lacklustre reception the keltiks received. Ivor fiddled with linn's top end projects to the point they were micromanaged into oblivion. and I think it is why he ultimately stepped aside as his management was clearly holding back product development. so he's around like Steve Wozniak at Apple. a trophy boss. I too saw emails about the keltik as it was a very public and nasty spat. IIRC The designer off the kolossus gave up and went back to Oz.

I think the Decision to go all activ only was the biggest problem for linn, stacked up against the likes of ATC they never stood a chance. Powerful speakers, weak amps and especially Activ they could not financially make sense.

ATC's ascendency at the time was precisely into a market that Linn could not go because no one in that line of business were as ready to swallow linn's bullshit as home enthusiasts eagerly lapping it all up.

… the designer of keltiks is on record as resigning due to the compromises he was being asked to make - i have emails from him somewhere on this issue
Not sure what those compromises were, but I think the same guy designed the Linn Nexus, which has to be the most boring loudspeakers I'm ashamed to confess to owning once upon a time, before I knew any better. Maybe those compromises were making music rather than a flat FR?

I haven't heard Keltiks personally, but I've read plenty of bad press about them.

Cheers James

I first read of it on that ozzie hifi site ... the one with a old skool usenet type interface

cant recall just now but im not sure about the nexus's only keltiks

Fox seems aware of it so im not too offbeam

… cant recall just now but im not sure about the nexus's only keltiks
From the Legend Acoustics website, specifically Rod Crawford's CV …

1987 - 1990 Linn Products Limited, Glasgow - Senior Acoustical Engineer, responsible for the electronic and mechanical design of a new range of loudspeakers for a world-class company. These loudspeakers included the Keltic [sic], Kaber, Nexus, Helix, Index 2, Kan 2, Sara 9 etc. As Project Leader, brought together and developed a team from R&D, sales/marketing and manufacturing to determine design goals, set priorities and meet tight budgets/timelines from conception to manufacture. Involved obtaining feedback from customers, close collaboration with company departmental and line managers, and liaison with outside suppliers in the UK, USA, Scandinavia and Japan on design, pricing, quality and delivery of components. The loudspeakers were highly acclaimed in the international hi-fi press and their sales nearly trebled from under $4m to over $10m.

The only loudspeaker of note, in my opinion, was the Kaber.

advertisement

Back