1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'no way'

Discussion in 'audio' started by TheDecameron, Sep 18, 2013.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Usually speakers are the most obvious for me. When I went shopping for my first pair as a student in the early 80s, I fancied those blingy Missions with the white baffles and the big Mission print on the front ( obviously intended to be used without grilles- impress your mates stylee). As soon as I listened I thought 'nope'. As soon as I heard Castle Tynes it was an instant yes. So I ended up leaving with the pipe and slippers option.

2. Rodney gold

Rodney gold Im just me...

I tried a benchmark dac (not the lastest one) in my headphone rig as a headphone amp for my Senn 650's and within a minute , I switched it off and said thanks , but no thanks to the seller.

3. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Pretty much every Audio Technica cartridge I've heard, makes my teeth itch.

4. 406v6

406v6 pfm Member

Shahinian loudspeakers. This was in the early 90s and I can't remember the model as I erased them from my memory.

5. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Naim SBL and SL2. Both heard with the appropriate Naim amplification and good front ends. I just found the presentation boring. In the first instance I bought Kabers and in the second PMC OB1's. However, I know there are plenty who rate them both highly.

6. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Which is nearly 20 years ago.
    Have a listen to the latest, hopefully you will change your mind :)

Cheers

John

7. avole

avole A wise man reflects

The n-Sat. The shock of that first abrasive listen threw me straight into the arms of SF. Th

8. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

AVI pro9+. Thought they were broken, but evidently they weren't.

9. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

McIntosh tube amps - 20 years ago - dreary, dull, slow

10. pil

pil pfm Member

Audiolab 8000a

11. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

For me that reaction usually comes when I see the price tag...

12. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Naim Arrivas - heard these a few times in a few different systems and they've always sounded flat and boring to me.

Rich

13. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

Where do I start.....? ;)

14. Daniel Quinn

Daniel Quinn Banned

Not sure , but I am willing to bet we wont read about them in any magazine ;)

15. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Most SET amplifiers and Triangle speakers

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

To my great disappointment, the Stax Omega 007t reference system. I piled into the dealers, account balance checked, intent on leaving with them. I found the treble incredibly rolled off and my heart sank after a couple of tracks, convinced there must be something wrong with them. The dealer even checked them himself and said no, that is what they sound like. My ears- not good enough for the legendary Stax.

Oddly, ( WRT some posts above) I love AT cartridges and own a Benchmark HDR...

17. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

DartZeel integrated priced about 18,000 Euros - this spring.

Even as a competition prize I would have difficulty living with that integrated.

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Naim 500 series.

Audiolab 4000 & 8000.

Some Kef speakers in the mid 90s - dull and muddy.

19. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Nothing I've bought, but some Chord cable (name forgotten) I borrowed from a dealer. It made the whole system 'shouty'.

Also borrowed a Nordost Thor mains block (£1k at the time) which sounded exactly the same as a Maplin's £10 offering, no doubt because of bottlenecks elsewhere in the system.

Oh, and Dynaudio speakers and a Sugden Masterclass amplifer.

20. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Musical Fidelity and Chord amplifiers in the early 00s.