advertisement

What became of Derek Whittington?

Great to know Derek is still active. In the early 80s I bought my first system from Duke Street, after auditioning with a work colleague, and he wouldn't let us buy anything there and then, he insisted that we had a think.
I believe there was a difference of opinion with Stuart?.
I bought my current speakers from him at Granby St., and enjoyed chats with him and Claire, and he allowed home dems of four different speakers, keeping the Doublets. Exceptional service, I think. He had an amazing room full of racks of LPs, too.

Yes I believe there was a difference of opinion with Stuart , never really knew the reason.
Derek was always able to tap in to everyone's taste in music and never did the hard sell and would travel 30 miles to my home just to sort out some trivial matters with my system.
Claire was a joy and yes I do remember you Nancy.

When did Derek Whittington start up in Loughborough, if before 1966 I think I may have helped wear out his carpet when my funds and HiFi ambitions were totally incompatible.

Last edited:
Wish he was still a Naim dealer, as I'm having a problem with my Mk.1Uniti display, and I feel sure that Derek would have been able to make a repair, rather than having to return it to Naim.
Ah well, that's progress.

I remmener a very pleasant gent who would bend over backwards to help you.
I also remember what he used to kill echoes in the demo room ... he called it clutter" :)

I suspect he was "too nice" for his own business good.

I am really happy to know he is still trading.

I find it depressing that there are not a lot like Derek in the Hifi business. Also that dedication such as this doesn't seem to be reciprocated with increased customer loyalty and therefore business??
enjoy/ken

Derek fettled my LP12 many times over the years and also came to my house to service it in situ a couple of times. Top bloke :)

The Internet has changed the dealer/client relationship irrevocably. This is true across retail. This very forum probably contributes to this slow death.

He once loaned me a Naim phono stage for so long I must have called him a couple of time to make sure he'd not forgot I'd got it, think he knew he'd have a used P75 coming in from another customer that would fit in my system just right and it took longer than anticipated :)

I'm still running the Linn Axis he sold me in the 90's with that P75 :)

My old olive NAP250 was in need of attention due to a lightening strike and Derek lent me a then brand new 250-2 until my olive unit was fixed , this must have been 4 or 5 weeks as I remember it.Doubt any dealer would do this today.

My old olive NAP250 was in need of attention due to a lightening strike and Derek lent me a then brand new 250-2 until my olive unit was fixed , this must have been 4 or 5 weeks as I remember it.Doubt any dealer would do this today.
My dealer in Sheffield did just that when mine went in for a service. Same dealer also fitted a Linn silver cable to my LP12 at no cost when I took in for a service the time before last. He just had it lying around after they fell out with Linn. Good dealers are still out there.

I do not like to speak badly of people who have fallen on hard times. That said, I have known Derek for 38 years and what a nice chap he and his wife, Clair, are.
However, when someone falls on bad finances, an innocent third party suffers. I am that third party.
Just prior to Derek’s last issue I purchased a very expensive, to me, system. Comprising Shahinian Hawks, Dynavector amplification, EMM Labs SACD and Well Tempered turntable. Everything except the turntable I got, thanks Derek, but am clearly out of pocket. As part of this though I let Derek have, in part exchange, my Naim 32.5, HI-CAP, 250, CDS, Isobarik system the idea being we would share the proceeds equally, very generous I think you will agree. Err, still waiting.
Financial problems are really difficult and, whilst I hold no grudge, please consider the sufferers on the other side.
This said, I am pleased to hear Derek is still trading, my allegiance though is now with John Roberts at Midland Audio X-Change who I highly recommend. Adrian

I just spent a very pleasant time reading all the nice words here about Derek Whittington. I ended up with an LP12/Naim/Sara system (VAT free) which I took to Germany where I moved in 1984 for 2 years, having upgraded in short time via Rega Planar 2 and NAIT. Every time I passed Luffie on the M1 since I used to wonder what had happened to Sound Advice. Best coffee and customer experience ever. Now I now. One reason Derek May never have got rich is people like me... he helped me get to my dream system and 36 years later I still have it. So pleased to hear these lovely stories.

advertisement

Back