advertisement

What are your top "test" tracks and why?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
Anytime I change something or strip the system down for whatever reason and then put it back together, I always play the same few songs at first to make sure everything is as it should be regarding things like channels i.e. left is left and right is right, and that the centre image is actually centred. I also play a few other songs to check things like liveliness, energy and emotion etc. Here are a few of mine:

10cc - One Night in Paris: the tumbling bottle at the start should tumble to the right (thereby confirming channels) while the high hats at around 5.30 should be smack bang in the middle; with the high hats are so top end tizzy, it's very easy to lock in the centre image if it isn't quite bang on first time.

Carol Kidd - Nice Work: this song should be as lively as anything. Plus, there's a point where the higher piano keys can sound too bright, almost harsh depending on setup and equipment. That said, it's a great album so I invariably end up listening to the whole album just because it's so damn good.

Claire Martin - Would You Believe?: this live track recording at Ronnie's should be a thoroughly captivating listening experience and full of emotion.

Glass Candy - Digital Versicolor: this track should sound as if it's going places because it's packed with real drive and energy.

Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader: the saxophone should blow your socks off when it comes in.

Norah Jones - Little Room: this song should come across as having been recorded in a very small room.

I play other tracks to test things out as well, but these are probably the ones I play first and foremost. What are your top test tracks?

Pretenders “don’t get me wrong” from album get close.
Rolling Stones “route 66” from first album.

do they make me smile/sing along/feel like dancing (and I’m a crap dancer so best to try out when i have the house to myself :))

Here are a couple from me….
Bats in the Attic …Diamond Mine ( King Creosote and Jon Hopkins )
Don’t Tell Me ….Balance ( Van Halen )
The former for details and clarity and the latter for dynamics particularly in the guitar solo section in the middle of the song.

Dire Straits - "Money for nothing"
i use this to see if the fun factor is there - no fun listening to this, no point buying the kit being assessed.

Whatever I'm into at the moment so long as it's been properly recorded. Knowing and liking the music is essential for me when evaluating changes / potential purchases etc

@windhoek I like that 10cc track too :)

Like most I imagine, I have a pretty large selection of test tracks from very different genres that I routinely go to. With the top ten or so fluctuating over time.
If I had to pick one though, then for the last couple of years at least, it's been:
Paul Simon - Diamonds on the soles of her shoes.

I chop and change, but two that remain are Japan, Sons of Pioneers and ZZ Top, Mushmouth Shoutin'.

Not a track, but any system that can pin me to the wall with Black Sabbath' Master of Reality is a winner for me.

There are a few threads in the archive on this, and mine do change over time, but the constants are:

Steely Dan - Gaucho. I know it so well I can set anti-skate with it! Donald Fagen’s Nightfly too.

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up. This one swings in a particular way. Not all systems get it.

Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come. If Miles isn’t in the room blowing his trumpet in your face something is wrong somewhere.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew. A very dense and layered mix. Many systems screw it right up and make it impenetrable. On a good system everything is there and the layers of funk grooves shine through.

A pile of good 12” singles; Joy Division Atmosphere (original US cut), ACR Flight, FGTH Two Tribes Annihilation mix, some techno from LSG, Aphex Twin etc etc.

The other thing I always try to have to hand is something new to me where I have no preconceptions. I buy a lot of music plus have a record shop, so always loads of great stuff to hand. Does it connect? The temptation to base every decision on one‘s preconceptions of familiar music has real problems and can lead to bad decisions IME. Good to mix it up a bit.

I always grab some random classical too, usually string quartets or solo piano as I lean to chamber works over orchestral. Again I’ve got a ton of it so I don’t pick the same stuff time and again. There are few poor recordings here outside the true historic mono era which holds little interest to me, so I just grab a work I fancy hearing. Usually something out of my complete Philips Quartetto Italiano CD box.

I even have a play list in Roon for just this purpose. In no particular order:

Nick Cave - Red Right Hand. Obviously testing bass response!
Sophie Solomon - Holy Devil. Wonderful track that has so many different instruments and layers that it makes for an excellent test of scale, dynamics and tonal accuracy.
Stevie Wonder - Superstition. Tests the boogie factor, in other words PRAT
Leonard Cohen - Dance me to the End of Love. Separation and musical space, the two voices should be holographic and distinct in their own musical space
Fela Kuti - Gentlemen. Although it does a lot of what the other tracks do, timing, tonal accuracy, boogie factor etc, it also does this with what is ostensibly a less than perfect recording; helps understand how a system will respond to such material
Five - Lamb. Tells me what a system is like with predominantly industrial music
Herbie Hancock - Cantalope. Majors on tonal accuracy with the trumpet.
Mo Blow - Rollin in the Deep. Really good for understanding how a system pressurizes a room, too much too little, filling the corners etc.
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac. Because it's an excellent recording (I have the High Res version so if a system can't blow you away with this material then it's not going to pass muster anywhere!
Chan Chan - Buena Vista Social Club. Tests the subtleties and nuanced detail that a system can reproduce and how well the bass is integrated with this.

That's my ten.

Can vary but:

Tom Waits – Hoist that Rag. To see if it can ‘play dirty’ as well as polite (especially speakers) and deliver all the energy in this song but still hold it together.

Neil Young – Sleeps with Angels. Similar to the above in that it has a raw vibe that needs to be retained. Needs to sound primal and big and get you excited.

Laura Marling – Night Terror. Her voice has borderline sibilance that it’s a test for, and it builds up nicely to quite a dense mix.

Kate Bush – This Woman’s Work. Vocals, piano, ambiance, and headroom/background noise. This song seems quiet and I always push the volume up: does it compress or get noisy doing that. The deep organ bit also needs to come across and have impact (gets lost with some speakers). So useful.

Tori Amos – Star Whisperer. Brilliantly recorded but needs an open system with body and depth to feel a bit ominous and terrifying (which it should). Get to the acoustic build-up about halfway through and see how it copes.

REM – Drive. Just so familiar and a great ‘all-rounder’ in sounding fundamentally right or wrong.

Great topic this👍🏻 for prat one I like to play is Werewolf of London with Warren Zevon, for tone anything with Van Morrison, have a feeling that many systems make his voice too thin sounding.

It's usually what ever lm listening to at the time. If I'm on a piano trio bender then it will be a late recording of a piano trio. If I'm doing jazz then Jazz it is. I generally steer away from popular music however, I find this can be heavily processed and generally sounds the same on all equipment.

LPSpinner

I like Power, Corruption & Lies by New Order for the synthesizer overload. I also love Tracy Chapman's debut album for the pureness of her voice. I love Black Codes (From The Underground) from Wynton Marsalis for the jazz all around sound. And finally, I use Get Rich or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent for the bass.

Les Rallizes Dénudés - Heavier Than A Death In The Family.

If it doesn't sound like it was recorded on a cheap dictaphone the system is doing something wrong.

This is my usual test playlist although I do often pull in others.

Generally the first and last track are enough (Rage and Coltrane) and tell me what I need to know, solid but tonal bass and guitar riff clarity through to cymbal and toms tone, clarity and delicacy.
(Can never resist a quick peek at John Martin and the opening bass though :) and obviously voice also essential, especially female for the upper tonal definition and clarity.)
Occasionally add in some Bartok too (String Quartet Nos 3 & 5: Prague City Quartet) but don't listen to much Classical.

Rage Against The Machine/Rage Against The Machine/02 Killing In The Name.aif
The Clash/London Calling/10 The Guns Of Brixton.aif
The Clash/London Calling/08 Lost In The Supermarket.aif
Rage Against The Machine/Rage Against The Machine/05 Bullet In The Head.aif
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds/Let Love In/05 Red Right Hand.aif
The Divine Comedy/Regeneration/04 Note To Self.aif
Moloko/I Am Not A Doctor/07 Sing It Back.aif
Massive Attack/Protection/06 Better Things.aif
John Martyn/Solid Air/05 Go Down Easy.aif
Ry Cooder/Performance CD/04 Powis Square.aif
Portishead/Dummy/04 It Could Be Sweet.aif
John Coltrane/A Love Supreme BR/03 Pursuance.aif

Larry Norman `Watch what you are doing `

this is one of Larrys best songs imho. he says i started writing blues songs in the fifties , probably because the church insisted that blues music was " of the devil"

Larry Norman ` the six o`clock news `

Larry said . He wrote this in 1968 but the head of capitol was pro - veitnam , like most middle class Americans so he refused to put it out as a single . I recorded it at AIR studios in London and for many years it was the most requested song wherever a military airbase was stationed . It got airplay all over the world thanks to the US army

Eric Bibb ` In my fathers house `

Interstelar ` Stay `

Lemon Jelly ` His majesty King raam

Night terror, yup
Halfway home Jason mraz.
Lippy kids, elbow.
Believe, cinematic orchestra
Private investigations, dire straits.

I mostly go for single acoustic instruments. Easy to know if they sound right or not. Especially bells and kettle drums (Kuniko).

Jack Liebeck / Ysaye (Bis) - solo violin
Kuniko / Cantus (Linn) - Vibraphone, Marimba, bells
Kuniko / Xenakis:IX - Pleiades IV and Rebonds A - drums
Phronesis / OK Chorale - Piano
Sawhney / The Conference (One Zero version) - tabla, vocal and imaging
Anoushka Shankar / Home (DGG) - Sitar
Barb Jungr / Man in the Long Black Coat (Linn) - vocal

Martinu's Nonet No. 2 from 1959 was cause for me to change my streamer/DAC. Only a superb system will separate the instruments (violin, viola, cello, bass, horn, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, flute)

For mix tracks, I last used Within my Walls by The Idan Reichel Project, I find Hancock / Gershwin's World a good demo album.

advertisement

Back