advertisement

What are your top "test" tracks and why?

The records/c.d’s change, but some regular testers.

Madonna - The Immaculate Collection. Bass, production, soundstage.

Kate Bush - a few albums, all pre Hounds of Love. Piano, vocals and space.

Something electronic. Some jazz.

and something that rarely sounds 100% like an early Metallica album. Maybe a K-Tel thin compilation, or even Ronco…

Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ - I know it well and the Quincy Jones production is great.

Keith don’t go.

;) ;) ;)
If you like that then have a listen to Derrin Nauendorf 'Leave me now' from the Live at the Boardwalk album. Amazingly recorded and an example of how good live music can sound.
This along with Keith don't go (obviously the live version, and for those that don't know it, it's by Nils Lofgren) have to be right up there on my list.

TALK TALK - The Colour of Spring.

All the songs but especially Happiness is easy.

Test of soundstage, bass extension, midrange clarity and anything that can unravel the composition is a win in my book.

TALK TALK - The Colour of Spring.

All the songs but especially Happiness is easy.

Test of soundstage, bass extension, midrange clarity and anything that can unravel the composition is a win in my book.

This album sounds good on anything, probably one the best produced pop albums of the 80s, or ever…

It’ll sound “special” on a decent system though.

Here’s a few of mine:

Massive Attack - Dissolved Girl

Great bass and “presence” test with some silky female vocals to top it off.

Joni Mitchell - The Last Time I Saw Richard

Stripped back, up front and personal, does Joni sound like she’s in the room? I find the production a bit bright, so this is a “warts and all” test, but a song I am very familiar with.

Lemon D - This is LA

Top quality, excellently produced 90s drum and bass, can your system keep up, especially during the breakdown, and is the sub-bass tuneful rather than “one note”?

advertisement

Back