advertisement

What are you reading right now?

Girl with the dragon etc. trashy but unputdownable in a John Grisham kind of way.

I just read a recent Grisham. Very predictable with the bad people really bad and the good ones being saints. No grey scales in the human description, just black or white. My guess is he uses sub writers to do the hard work nowadays. They are guaranteed best sellers, so why bother to much with it?

Stieg is a little better than that...

JohanR

A bit of trash type alt history, if you can remember some of the names then it may well jog memories of cold war fear roaming the globe at the time. A free download via Infinity Plus all a bit Lovecraftish.
It seems the Wilmarth Foundation are on to this link as it wont open.:)

I'm in Christmas holiday mode still, so am enjoying lightweight pulp. I'm looking forward to the new Grisham, although I know what you mean. It's enjoyable though.
I'm currently reading Phil Rickman.

Currently I am reading Skippy Dies which was an unexpected present from an old friend.
I thought it was going to be another Autobiography like Me, Cheeta which was great fun.
Warming up on the bench I have The Leopard by Jo Nesbo which was an Oxfam find for a couple of quids.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. Not far in yet so not sure what I think of it.
I keep having to look things up to find out whether they really happened or if they're part of the fiction.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. The true story of Louie Zamperini (a star athlete) who was part of a B24 flying crew for America in the seconf world war. An amazing story of survival and the limits of man after their plane went down in the drink. Gripping stuff.

Girl with the dragon etc. trashy but unputdownable in a John Grisham kind of way.
I was given this as a gift a couple of years ago, and got around to reading it just before Xmas. Not sure if it's the author's fault, or his translator, but the book is written in very clumsy prose. And how many female characters in the book does the middle-aged protagonist fail to bed?

I was given this as a gift a couple of years ago, and got around to reading it just before Xmas. Not sure if it's the author's fault, or his translator, but the book is written in very clumsy prose.

I tried reading it last year, since everyone was banging on about it. It was so atrociously written (or translated) that I gave up after about 10 pages.

I tried reading it last year, since everyone was banging on about it. It was so atrociously written (or translated) that I gave up after about 10 pages.

I listened to the audio book whilst I was in India. It's about 50% too long and spent more time describing the characters in irrelevant detail than it did telling an actual story. A bit like a Tom Clancy novel, but without the cool sounding military technology.

I listened to the audio book whilst I was in India. It's about 50% too long and spent more time describing the characters in irrelevant detail than it did telling an actual story. A bit like a Tom Clancy novel, but without the cool sounding military technology.

I find them harmless. Oddly the films miss out half the crap in the books, but maybe not the right half!

I also recent downloaded and watched the two series of The Killing. Many similarities - which makes me think about Northern European thrillers and maybe I should read some more.

Currently reading Haruki Murakami 1Q84 which I'd been saving for a rainy day. As it has rained all week. It's Murakami Jim, and exactly as we know him. Which is nice, if not vastly exciting.

I've seen the films which were OK, but find the books to be more trouble than they're worth.

I haven't got 1Q84 yet, keep meaning to buy it. It's a big beast.

I haven't got 1Q84 yet, keep meaning to buy it. It's a big beast.

The one thing I find sort of odd about eReaders is you can't easily judge how big a book is. Sure, you can look at the page count - but it isn't as intuitive as seeing that you are starting a doorstop or something barely more than a novella. Occasionally I realise that I've been reading for hours and it hasn't got started yet.

The missus bought me an American book on amateur pyrotechnics for Christmas. It's pretty alarming how simple it is to make some home made explosives / fireworks and how easy it is to get hold of the ingredients needed. I don't think she realised when buying it that I would actually be able to get hold of the stuff to make any. She told me I'm not to do it but as I rarely do what is asked of me it seems reasonable to embark on this task.

All you need to make flash powder is some potassium perchlorate and dark aluminium powder, like making bread but easier and much more dangerous. Marvellous.

The one thing I find sort of odd about eReaders is you can't easily judge how big a book is. Sure, you can look at the page count - but it isn't as intuitive as seeing that you are starting a doorstop or something barely more than a novella. Occasionally I realise that I've been reading for hours and it hasn't got started yet.

Yes, I agree. When you look at book with a marker or are reading it one instinctively knows how long it will take to read or complete and whether you should either go to bed or leave it until tomorrow. It's like judging time with a traditional watch face; it can't be done with a digital read out clock.
Analogue or digital reading?

Sorry for the thread resurrection - I realise this thoroughly upsets some people.

I only just found out that Julian Richer also writes books. Thought this would be a good read for anyone here who runs their own business - The Richer Way

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm about three quarters of the way through The Septology by Jon Fosse and am still unsure whether it's brilliant or annoying.

advertisement

Back