advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

IMG-3322.jpg

CD this time: the 2013 2CD + DVD Steven Wilson remix of this flipping brilliantly bonkers album. And what a stunning album opener this has in Assault and Battery/The Golden Void. Mighty stuff.

Also, curious fact: if you listen to Roisín Murphy’s equally good Kingdom of Ends from her Roisín Machine album you’ll hear the same riff.

The soundtrack is heaps better than the film, which lost a ton of money I think.
I've tried to watch the film 3-4 times, hoping to find it is a neglected masterpiece but each time have had to accept it is really quite poor.

The music, though , works as a standalone for me - and doesn't really have that much of an impact in the film

Which has got me thinking of a list of great soundtracks to poor films.....

The Prince movies, the Daft Punk Tron movie and Singles would be obvious starting points. There must be some good jazz ones but they're not coming to me at the moment.

I've tried to watch the film 3-4 times, hoping to find it is a neglected masterpiece but each time have had to accept it is really quite poor.

The music, though , works as a standalone for me - and doesn't really have that much of an impact in the film

The Prince movies, the Daft Punk Tron movie and Singles would be obvious starting points. There must be some good jazz ones but they're not coming to me at the moment.
I like the film "One from the Heart" in a style-over-substance kind of way, and the album is great.
Great soundtrack to a poor film? How about "Magical Mystery Tour"?

The Velvet Undeground - Loaded
(Vinyl. The 2015 reissue)

The Velvet Undeground - The Velvet Undeground
(Vinyl, 2015 reissue) Another Christmas present gets a spin at last.

There's a lot of B movies I guess

MDktNTczNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Shabaka, Perceive it's Beauty, Acknowledge its Grace (Streaming via Qobuz)

Shabaka.jpg

I wasn't sure about this when I first dipped in but am finding myself coming back for further listens.

advertisement

Back