advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

Archie Shepp, Blase ( Vinyl - remaster)

I picked this up on spec while out for break from work this morning. Shepp's been a significant gap in my collection for far too long.

I'm having a listen while back on the laptop.

On first impressions this is a much a Jeanne Lee record as a Shepp record - her vocals are amazing.

a3469113629_10.jpg

Last edited:
IMG-3093.jpg

When I was a kid, the first ELO album I bought was Discovery, rapidly followed by New World Record and this. The latter two are still probably my favourites.

I’ve recently discovered this - a studio recording of Mingus in Europe from 1964 minus Johnny Coles. So Long Eric, Peggy’s Blue Skylight and a 20-odd minute Meditations. Just fantastic. The colorisation doesn’t bother me - in fact it looks more in sync and tidied up than the B+W versions out there. I love the way the shades go on when Eric means business with a capital B. Jaki rocking forward on the front feet of his stool. And how the table gets filled with booze as the session progresses. And Dannie puffing away under the ‘Défense de fumer’ sign. And the telephone.

Last edited:
I’ve recently discovered this - a studio recording of Mingus in Europe from 1964 minus Johnny Coles. So Long Eric, Peggy’s Blue Skylight and a 20-odd minute Meditations. Just fantastic. The colorisation doesn’t bother me - in fact it looks more in sync and tidied up than the B+W versions out there. I love the way the shades go on when Eric means business with a capital B. And how the table gets filled with booze as the session progresses. And Dannie puffing away under the ‘Défense de fumer’ sign. And the telephone.

This is great! I also enjoyed Mingus doing a bit of the old 'extended technique' lobbing stuff into the piano.

Continuing on from yesterday's ELO's On The Third Day, I thought I'd dig out another 'lesser' light from a band's catalogue for a listen.

Caress of Steel is a proper curate's egg of an album by Rush. It's got great stuff on it like Bastille Day, Lakeside Park and the final part of the Necromancer (which is super simple but has a lovely Alex Lifeson solo) and then on side two it's got the frankly bonkers Fountains of Lamneth, Rush's first stab at a side-long epic and the track that almost killed their career.

In his recent (and marvellous) memoir, Geddy Lee explains that they were smoking a lot of weed during the making of this album. That would explain it then. :)

CoS is probably one of Rush's least regarded albums but I adore it for its gauche goofiness.

This is the 2015 180gm remaster done by Sean Magee at Abbey Road.

IMG-3094.jpg

advertisement

Back